Steyr handguns... what say ye?

This is a discussion on Steyr handguns... what say ye? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have very limited experience with Steyr handguns. My brother has one that I've shot a few times, an M40 I believe. I limpwristed that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Steyr handguns... what say ye?

I have very limited experience with Steyr handguns. My brother has one that I've shot a few times, an M40 I believe. I limpwristed that thing fairly consistently when I was younger (haven't shot it in probably 10 years). So my opinion of them has never been all that great (I've never limpwristed a gun before or since then). Well anyway I stumbled across a deal on a S40 (compact version of M40) that I couldn't pass up. I gotta say, I really like this thing. I haven't shot it yet, so who knows if I'll limpwrist this one too... but I'm just surprised these aren't more popular based solely on the feel and the extremely low bore axis. I guess the sights are pretty odd at first, but I actually like them I think.

Anyway... what do ya'll think of them? (Don't worry... negative responses won't hurt my feelings... I want your honest opinions please)

Senior Moderator
    I think that they are OK. The several that I have shot over the years worked well. No complaints there. The only thing that I dont like about them is the way that they look. To me they are a bit on the ugly side.

Other than that, I think the main issue holding them back is the availability of them. I get lots of gun flyers and sales brochues sent to me, and I hardley ever see a Steyer in any of them. There just arent a whole lot of dealers that carry them.

If you can get past the ugly, and you can shoot it well and are comfortable with it, thats really all that matters. I dont harass a man for toting an ugly pistol or marrying an ugly wife. Somebodys got to do it...
    kmagnuss, bmcgilvray and RichB70 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Never shot one. I've handled them before and liked the way they felt. Last time I saw one in a gun store it was reasonalbly priced but that been quite a while ago. I kinda assumed they were no longer available. I think they're kinda cool looking, but then again I've always had a thing for ugly women too.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I shot an M9-A1 a few years ago (back when they cost $350). I liked the sights, the bore axis is nice and low, and I loved the trigger. The grip shape is good, but it has that same grip angle as a Glock, which meant it pointed high when I held it at a "natural" angle. Since I was shopping for a CCW piece, I wanted something that would point naturally and instinctively, so I decided against it. But if it was a choice between a Glock and a Steyr, I'd pick the Steyr every time. It's a little bit odd-looking, but it's not as ugly as a polymer Witness IMHO, and Glocks aren't exactly pretty, either. Obviously, holsters will be harder to find than for more-common firearms, but they're out there.

My wife is now shopping for a CCW piece, and the S9-A1 is definitely one we will consider (she might not object to the grip angle like I do). I might eventually pick up an M-A1 for range use, to teach myself to deal with that stupid grip angle.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

the steyrs are fine weapons, well made good shooters. some of the older new m models have extraction issues that are easily fixed
    if you like steyrs look at the caracal, a recent shipment has hit the US and these are great guns, almost like glock gen 5.
    Search | Slickguns
    can steer you to some great deals on the caracals.

I've only handled one on a singe occasion but was intrigued by it. It would be fun to get to take one on a "test-drive." To me all the "new-crop" polymer guns look like cordless drills or Hi-Points so can't really relate to relative ugliness of the Steyr. Steyr is an interesting old company with some famous history and has produced some respected firearms designs.

Hope you got the factory instruction manual with your new acquisition. If not you could probably find a downloadable online version or obtain one from the company or current U.S. distributor. Get to know the pistol, learn how to field strip it and maintain it. Give it a chance at the range and give us a report. I'd really be interested to hear.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have only shot 1 that was my buddies and it was a nice gun.

But spare magazines cost anywhere from 70 to 80 dollars for the model that he had. That price alone for a new mag would keep me away from buying one.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have no idea how old/out of manufacture the guns you are talking about are, mags for the recent crop of steyrs are not any higher than $28 or si

I own 4 of them and have always really liked them. They are very dependable and easy to field strip.

My father owns a m40-a1 and it is already getting ready to be shipped to them to fix a problem. At least once per magazine it fails to eject. He has tried everything and now it has finally come to shipping back. I took his gun to the range with a LEO and shot back and forth between the steyr and his s&w m&p40 and to me there was a huge difference in the trigger. It made me never like the m&p for that reason. If it comes back and proves to be as reliable as my glock then I would consider buying one. I really like the low bore axis on it and the feel.

I used to have a GB model. I still consider this one of the finest 9mm handguns ever made. It was $400 in 1983/4 with 3 magazines and shot so smoothly it was hard to believe. I got it before the G17 came to CA and if it weren't for parts availability I would still own it. It was a gas operated, blow back design with almost no recoil. It wasn't polymer but rather the frame was a lightweight alloy. Mags today fetch between $160-$200 each on the Web.

Guns South was the original US importer but due in part to bad business practices, lackluster sales due to poor advertising (Glock was dumping millions in advertising during the same time - think Macintosh versus Microsoft) and availability issues from Steyr-Manlicher in Germany and you have issues. The M/A series are supposed to be almost as smooth and are purportedly reliable with relatively easy parts availability.

Re: ugly...I thiink Glocks are uglier than dirt regardless of their popularity, functionality or mass koolaid-like adoption. They don't have any style to them unlike some other handguns...but that is JMHO...

As an update, I just saw a GB muzzle brake go for almost $800 on GB (it replaces the barrel bushing/cone) and a set of 4 mags went for $655.

Here are some pics of a GB with the MB mounted and with the standard barrel bushing/cone as well as other GB pics courtesy of a Steyrclub member.

What looks like a safety is the decocker. This is a full size handgun with 18 per mag but it feels totally balanced and light in the hand. The barrel is shown removed from the frame in the last picture however this rarely happens as it is designed to stay in the top of the frame. Oh...and the only polymer part is the trigger guard. Can you tell I miss mine?
    bmcgilvray and kmagnuss like this.

Good photos.

It's definitely not as ugly as some that could be mentioned.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsor
    I had a Steyr M9A1 for about 5 years. It was a nice shooting 9mm. I liked my trigger out of the box but it always got mixed reviews on the "boards". I'll probably wind up with another sometime down the road.

The only thing against Steyr is the fact that they have a spotty record of availability and therefor are not very well supported in the holster and after market areas.

Check out steyrclub.com for Steyr specific forums and fans. I'm a member but have not really been active there for a while.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I own two M-40's... Never a problem, never a complaint.
    .XX likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links