Range report: Springfield Micro Compact .45ACP

This is a discussion on Range report: Springfield Micro Compact .45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, as stated earlier I bit the bullet on a baby .45, maybe that's why I broke a filling? Any ways this is the GI ...

Thread: Range report: Springfield Micro Compact .45ACP

Range report: Springfield Micro Compact .45ACP

OK, as stated earlier I bit the bullet on a baby .45, maybe that's why I broke a filling? Any ways this is the GI series which means no frills or extras, entry level. First impressions out of the box were over all pretty good with a few notable exceptions. The bolt face is pretty rough and will be up for a polish for sure. The supplied mag is definately a GI mag and the local store is out of Wilsons. I'm debating either Wilsons or Tripps but will get some soon, I hope.

All the online reviews and the local range Springfield expert say 200 round minimum breakin period. Today I put 100 rounds of 230 gr Fiochi ball through her to get the feel of the gun and start breaking 'er in. Overall this gun shoots much better than I'd hoped! I normally shoot a LW Commander and really noticed little difference in recoil. Probably the steel frame and bull barrel help. The trigger is a little heavy, breaks at around 5 lbs I'd say, and breaks nice and clean. Reset is positive, no mush there.

I shot my best group of the day at 2.5" at 25'. Not match material but not bad for a gun new to me and just out of the box. Seems to be shooting about 1.5" low and 1" left. That could well be trigger control and grip. I'll be working on that.

As expected there were a few feeding issues. 3 FTF on the last round and three on the first round out of 100 rounds. I suspect some of this is the cheap magazine. I also suspect the rough bolt face isn't helping and the feed ramp and chamber could be smoother.

I think with a few tweeks this ones going to be a winner! The Springer guru and I taked it over after the session and we are pretty much in agreement on the next steps. 100 more rounds for break in. Polish that nasty bolt face. Polish feed ramp and chamber. There is a very small throat relief at the top of the ramp where it meets the chamber. I'll wait a bit but might have my gunsmith make the throating a little more pronounced if above issues don't solve feeding issues. Guru also recommended considering Wolff springs after break in. Says the micro's seem to run better with them over the factory springs. Will probably add a longer trigger, the stock is a little short for my taste.

To be honest I thought the wee thing was going to be more of a handfull to shoot. Actually I really liked the way it handled. Even with no beavertail, short grips and short barrel I really, really enjoyed shooting it. No hammer bite either! My Airweight J frame in +P 38 is more of a handfull with full house defense loads in it. It does want a firm grip. I tried a few rounds letting it limp wrist and 2 out of six stovepiped. But properly handled this never occured.

So, I knew that it was an entry level pistol and would have a few rough edges and it does. But at $550 for a 1911 micro that's about what you get these days. But with a few tweeks on my part I think I will have a good running pistol. I know many people who are down on sub 4" 1911's. But I also have met many people who own them and after a few tweeks have running guns that don't miss a lick. Hopefully this will be one!

It's a shame that factory 1911's are more of a canvas than a finished painting (at least in my price range) but that's life in the big city I guess. Maybe if I'd grown up shooting polymer guns life would be different but, alas, I'm a 1911 addict. Besides, tinkering can be fun...
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Sounds good.....
    Kinda like guitars, mine always need some tweaking....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

My RIA officers model was the same way.
    I had to polish the breech face. I also broke the edge of the slide where the disconnector hits. And beveled the top of the chamber.
    I'm at 400 rounds or so with it now. the problem I have now is that the slide stop will engage every once in while. Usually on the next to the last round in a mag.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I think with a few tweeks this ones going to be a winner! The Springer guru and I taked it over after the session and we are pretty much in agreement on the next steps. 100 more rounds for break in. Polish that nasty bolt face. Polish feed ramp and chamber. There is a very small throat relief at the top of the ramp where it meets the chamber.
    I'm going to have to do the same with my Springfield "Ultra" Compact. At first I thought it was mostly due to the magazines, so I bought some new from SA. I still have feed problems at times after 400+ rounds. Mine SA is the high capacity model (10 rounds) and it was made in May 2001, according to Springfield. I picked it up a few months ago and it appeared to be unfired then. Until it becomes more reliable, I'm not inclined to carry it. Once it feeds every time, it'll be a fine carry weapon.

- Terry

I just bought a Springfield Micro-Compact as well, mine seems to shoot a little low. Had two or three FTE's in the first shooting session using the cheap stuff, so I'm going to chalk that up to not using good ammo (and it being the break-in period and all).

Have carried a Springfield "loaded" Micro-Compact for over 2 years with all the factory features except the tactical rail. It took one trip back to Springfield to correct a POA issue (they installed new, taller front sight). I've never even loaded the factory mags. All my 1911's get Wilson Combat mags from the start. It runs rock-solid with 200gr Hornady XTPs. Fine handgun.

Links