Need advise from Sig owners

This is a discussion on Need advise from Sig owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Sig 220 that I bought for no other reason than my uncle had it for sale at an incredible price. But, I ...

Thread: Need advise from Sig owners

Need advise from Sig owners

I have a Sig 220 that I bought for no other reason than my uncle had it for sale at an incredible price. But, I have recently decided to apply to the Austin Police Department and cadets must supply their own sidearm. Luckily they allow alot of different brands and calibers and I'll be able to use the 220.

So here's where I need advise. I want to send it to the custom shop at Sig for a short trigger and a trigger job because I have to qualify with it and I think these mods will help me gain some accuracy. Certainly it would be more fun to shoot. I also want to get the slide satin nickeled so holster wear won't be visible. Plus the two-tone Sigs make me drool. Should I do these mods? I think they will make the gun more functional and enjoyable. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

I figure, it's only money and if it will make you happier, that's all that matters.

What mods will the Austin PD allow? If they will allow these above outlined mods, and you want / can afford them, then do it.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

VIP Member
    First off, verify if any mods at all are against department policy. Some departments want strictly stock weapons (except for maybe night sights and the SIG short trigger) for liability reasons.

If they are ok with the mods, then ask if the department has a SIG-certified armorer. If they do, they should be able to install the short trigger for nothing (they are trained to do so, but they might not, again, due to liability). They might also be able to do a trigger job....maybe.

If they don't have an certified SIG armorer, or that person is unwilling or unable to do the mods, then see if the department can foot the bill (not likely though, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

I think getting the short trigger is a great idea; I had one on my first duty gun, a SIG P228, and I'm getting one installed on my current issued P229. The trigger job is a good idea, as long as you think you would truly benefit from it. In my experience, SIG triggers are very manageable as-is, but your experience might be different.

Good luck!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    I carry the 220 on duty as a Reserve Sheriff Deputy. I have lots of guns and some customs and to be honest with you, I never felt the need to do anything to my 220. I usally ace the quals, so I really cant see messing with it.

Be advised about nickle plated guns...as some point in time the nickle will come off. Thats just the way it is because you have two dissimilar metals that are in close contact with each other, since their molecular structure is different one will act as an anode and the other a cathode. That is the reason that many guns ecpecially those that are decades old will have spotty or blistering nickle on them.

You would be better off buying an all stainless Sig when you can afford it and never have to worry about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Is the satin bead blasted finish the same as the nickel? I want to get whatever the factory two-tone is, not a shiny chome look. I would imagine that on a DA/SA gun a trigger job wouldn't matter as the DA pull would still be heavier than a standard Glock trigger. And the length of pull would be nearly the same as a Glock. The finish shouldn't matter as I could buy a factory model the same way.

Also I have heard it is better to use grease instead of oil for the 220s frame rails to prevent the fit from becoming wobbly or loose. Is this true? I use currently use Rem-Oil.

It's not that its an inaccurate gun, but I find that I'm not as accurate shooting 230 grain WWB as I am when I shoot a friends 40 cal 229. I'm not sure the accuracy needed to pass qualification and just want to increase my odds.

Also all the mods will be done by the factory, so that might make a difference.

Senior Moderator
    The Sig is all stainless...with a bead blasted finish.

I've been using regular gun oil on mine for years and I shoot the heck out of it.So far it's still pretty tight. Using grease will take up some slack if its loose, otherwise you have to be careful of it as using too much could affect the reliability of it and grease does tend to catch alot of crud.
    Last edited by HotGuns; September 11th, 2006 at 01:30 AM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator

Thumbs up Factory Installed Short Trigger

The factory installed short trigger should not be a problem since technically that is NOT a "modification" since a handgun can be ordered from SIG with a short trigger installed as a factory option

The short trigger is configured in order to diminish the distance to the trigger face so that the pistol can be better/easier operated by shooters with shorter fingers.

Just having a "short trigger" installed does not affect or alter the trigger pull in any way.

That being said the 220 will be a fantastic service handgun.

Yeah I know the short trigger doesn't change the pull any but on DA my finger touches inbetween the tip and 1st joint. I'd like to have it a little shorter.

Assistant Administrator
    I can but echo Hot Gun's comments overall. Certainly agree re the grease aspect - found that out thru experience.

If the trigger option really would help then go for that but would not bother with plating to be honest. Even ''as is'' you have a great platform there.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links