The .45 ACP option.

This is a discussion on The .45 ACP option. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As much as it pains me to say it, go for the Glock 30/36. I've only handled the 36, and I think it was 6+1. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The .45 ACP option.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    As much as it pains me to say it, go for the Glock 30/36. I've only handled the 36, and I think it was 6+1. And pretty sweet. As ugly as they are, as terrible as they look, they are great guns. Wonderful for the price range. And, a 36 fits the pocket nicely- really nicely. Actually ran into a guy yesterday wearing 'jean shorts' and talked to him for a minute about carrying something small- and he showed me how his 36 just drops into his pocket. He was way too open about his CWP, but it was nice to talk to someone who had an idea about what he was talking about.

The compact/micro 1911s are WAY too... 'iffy'- I've heard a lot about their reliability without spending hours upon hours with a gunsmith to get them 'right'.

I had a nice little Taurus PT 24/7 Pro in 4"; had a 12+1 mag and a 10rnd mag. Good, striker fired, DA/SA polymer frame. Then I got my Springfield 1911-A1 and it's what I carry when I can carry.

Not much beats a good .45ACP- except maybe a good .357mag.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

PM45.gif

Kahr PM45
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Los, where might a fella find one of those AMT Backup .45's? Never put eyes on one.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Los, where might a fella find one of those AMT Backup .45's? Never put eyes on one.
    Prolly on the bottom of the nearest Lake.

Most of these pistols were hacked from the get-go by owners that wanted to reduce the heavy factory trigger pull. The Mainspring was usually the first component that was altered (cut) to achieve a lighter pull. In doing so, this act would render the Piece completely unreliable, plagued with FTF/FTE issues.

My BU45 has performed flawlessly. It has a very hearty appetite and has no problems with HPs and Wadcutters. It's pretty darn accurate at CQB distances, too.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

jyo
    I went with the Kahr P45---small, thin, lightweight, reliable---I like it!

Also a .45 fan...

I also like the .45 ACP for both target shooting and defense, and have 3 compact guns in that caliber which are small enough for easy carry. I would recommend any of them, based on my experiences with them.

Colt Defender - a 3 inch 1911 which has been absolutely reliable for me. It has an excellent trigger feel, holds 7+1 rounds, and is very flat for easy concealment. It weighs about 24 ounces empty.

Sig P245 - a 3.9 inch gun holding 6+1 rounds and weighing about 29 ounces empty. The grip is short and slim, so the gun conceals very easily.

Glock 36 - a 3.8 inch 6+1 round gun weighing 20 ounces empty - probably the easiest Glock to conceal based on thickness.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Great post Los. Isn't it great having the smallest .45 AUTO ever made. I made a set of coco bolo grips for mine. First time try and they turned out pretty good. And for foo909 there are a few on gun broker.com for sale.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor man View Post
    ...Isn't it great having the smallest .45 AUTO ever made..
    Indeed. I've carried all 45acp platforms known to man, including the Semmerling LM-4, and I can honestly tell you that the BU45 has been the easiest semi-automatic to conceal, and the pistol that bestows the softest felt recoil,.. G30 included.

... I made a set of coco bolo grips for mine. First time try and they turned out pretty good.
    Man, you're kill'n me!! You gotta send me a few polaroids..

...And for foo909 there are a few on gun broker.com for sale.
    Yeppers. Preferably a Piece with the "DA" prefix on the s#.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    I just bought a Sig P 220 Carry for an unbelievable price! I have not worked it into my routine and I have not shot it enough yet. I like it because it is de-cocker so there are no safeties to have to worry about. 8 +1 rounds to start with 8 to follow. It is all metal and hammer fired being DA the first shot and SA until the mag is empty. It is not as inexpensive as some of the polymers but I think that durability will prove itself. The gun comes standard with night sights.
    The Sig P220 Carry is my edc. Been carrying mine now for about 2 years and have put nearly 3,000 rounds through it with no failures of any kind. The most difficult thing to master with traditional Sigs is the double action/single action tranition..... It helped me a lot to shoot double action revolvers along with my Sigs. Helps to master the longer double action trigger. I think you'll love your Sig....I do....

I'd look at any of the "name brand" 1911 frames with a 4" barrel. Flat and concealable without the quirks of the shorter 3" - 3.5" barrels. I'm 5'6" and 160 and EDC a 4" 1911 with no issues. If you don't like old school, Glock 36 or Springfirld XDM Compapact might be good choices. Regardless, once you start talking revolvers, you lose the flat aspect to a degree.
    Combat Infantryman, Ranger, Special Forces, Master Parachutist, Pathfinder

Oderint Dum Metuant

Springfield M1A Scout and Colt M4 (Zombie Apocalypse), Remington 870 (Home Defense), Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC), S&W Model 36 (BUG)

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    The Sig P220 Carry is my edc. Been carrying mine now for about 2 years and have put nearly 3,000 rounds through it with no failures of any kind. The most difficult thing to master with traditional Sigs is the double action/single action tranition..... It helped me a lot to shoot double action revolvers along with my Sigs. Helps to master the longer double action trigger. I think you'll love your Sig....I do....
    Side note: My oldest son carrys a Sig and loves it . . . many of the Special Forces guys I know (who don't swear by the 1911) think the Sig is a good weapon.
    Combat Infantryman, Ranger, Special Forces, Master Parachutist, Pathfinder

Oderint Dum Metuant

Springfield M1A Scout and Colt M4 (Zombie Apocalypse), Remington 870 (Home Defense), Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC), S&W Model 36 (BUG)

Or you could just carry the 21. I have a 21 (not sf) and it's pretty much become my EDC. With a good belt and a good holster it actually carries pretty nice.

dear pogo2: i love Sigs, but have always thought the 245 looked clumsy. yours is BEAUTIFUL!!!

as for Foo909's original question, i agree with those who advocate for the Kahr PM-45 and the Springfield XDS. i have a 3" S&W 625, and it's beautiful, and i shoot it well, but it's HEAVY, so i don't often carry it.

"after a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it." Wm. S Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Prolly on the bottom of the nearest Lake.

Most of these pistols were hacked from the get-go by owners that wanted to reduce the heavy factory trigger pull. The Mainspring was usually the first component that was altered (cut) to achieve a lighter pull. In doing so, this act would render the Piece completely unreliable, plagued with FTF/FTE issues.

My BU45 has performed flawlessly. It has a very hearty appetite and has no problems with HPs and Wadcutters. It's pretty darn accurate at CQB distances, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Indeed. I've carried all 45acp platforms known to man, including the Semmerling LM-4, and I can honestly tell you that the BU45 has been the easiest semi-automatic to conceal, and the pistol that bestows the softest felt recoil,.. G30 included.
    If you received a good AMT then you were okay, a lemon seemed to always be a lemon. My dad's first one was a lemon, the second one was okay. He wishes he still had it.

I'm not sure about it being the softest recoil, it has been years since I fired one, but the heavy weight seemed to offset the short barrel. The twenty pound trigger pull was not worth it. I'll stick with my Glock 30: slightly bigger/wider, weighs one ounce less, five and half pound trigger, and holds ten instead of five rounds. Or I use my nine round magazine to make it a smidgen shorter.
    --Jason--

Sorry about the bad photoshop, but I wanted to show a nine round magazine.
    --Jason--

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links