Any problems with Walther PPS? - Page 2

Any problems with Walther PPS?

This is a discussion on Any problems with Walther PPS? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock My question is why get a PPS? It's very similar to the M&P Shield and the cost is higher ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any problems with Walther PPS?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    My question is why get a PPS? It's very similar to the M&P Shield and the cost is higher not to mention the mags.
    Walther's mag release is the best design I've used. Never have to worry about squeezing the button while holstered IWB and it feels smoother and more natural.

Plus the shield is brand new which usually means a few kinks have to be worked out. (Such as the older PPS slide issues.) My PPS has the newer design from late 2011.

I own both the PPS and the Shield. I strongly suggest that anyone considering a PPS take a hard look at the shield first. In response to the original posters question. My PPS has a few thousand rounds thru it and has been mostly trouble free except for one range trip where the trigger failed to reset twice.

I personally find the shield to be superior for a few reasons.

Accuracy: don't get me wrong. I can put down decent groups with the PPS if I do my part. However, the shield has a superior trigger that makes shooting it accurate, easier. If you add an apex DCAEK trigger job, the shield is just plain awesome to shoot!

Ergonomics: The shield grip feels better in the hand. Also, I prefer the mag release since it matches my other carry guns. The safety is a non issue for me. I also carry 1911's, so the motion of sweeping the safety is natural to me. The safety is small enough to be unobtrusive , yet it's easy to operate. If you don't like the safety, leave it off. It's not going back on safe without some deliberate action by your thumb. The shield also carries 8+1 in a smaller package.

The shield is also cheaper. You could use that savings on a holster, trigger job, etc.

I'm not bashing on the PPS. I've had mine for a few years and have carried it a lot. But the shield came along, and it carries easier, shoots better and costs less. It's a win win.

Here's some comparison pics.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    If you add an apex DCAEK trigger job, the shield is just plain awesome to shoot!
    Wouldn't the same be true for the PPS?

If you modify anything it'll be better.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, no one offers a PPS trigger. Also, the Shield trigger is better out of the box to begin with. My point being if you take your savings from the shields cheaper price and get an apex trigger, and it's even better.

Also, the Shield trigger is better out of the box to begin with.
    That's debatable.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have a PPS in 9mm that has been flawless. They did have some issues on the earlier guns with the slide lock and springs breaking, this would totally jam the gun requiring a trip to Walther for repairs. I read that the 40 cal had some issues with the extractors flying off, I think it was on the Walther Forum but it was quite a while ago. If you buy the PPS make sure the date code is BB ( BC if its available ), this will have all the upgrades.
    Trust8383 gave a great comparison and info between the Shield and PPS, he pretty much nailed it. The biggest difference I found between the two when fireing was that the Shield was more comfortable in my hand, the PPS has a more aggressive grip texture. I have seen the price of the PPS listed for $485 so maybe Walther is trying to be more competitive. You cant go wrong with either gun.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, no one offers a PPS trigger. Also, the Shield trigger is better out of the box to begin with. My point being if you take your savings from the shields cheaper price and get an apex trigger, and it's even better.
    I agree less money is good but I actually prefer the mag release and having no safety. (Just my opinion on my choice.)

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    I agree less money is good but I actually prefer the mag release and having no safety. (Just my opinion on my choice.)
    Point taken. It's nice to have choices. :)
    I will say that my wife, who had never fired a gun in her life, after 10 minutes of instruction, picked up the PPS and put the whole mag in the red center of a B-27 target at 7 yards on her first try.

Lead Moderator
    I really like my 9mm PPS as well. No issues with it and if I do my part it is accurate. The mag release is a bit different and spare mags do cost a bit. I have not handled a M&P Shield , so cannot compare them .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

FDE
    My Walther PPS has been great since day one. Zero malfunctions of any kind. I too actually prefer the mag release for a carry gun because its impossible to accidentally release the mag. I dont carry a spare magazine so the unfamiliar release is a non-issue for me. All that being said I am looking to buy a shield for commonality between my range and carry guns. I also like having a thumb safety and one additional round.

I really enjoy shooting my PPS, but would consider getting a Shield for a second carry gun. I like the idea of a safety.
    mook012 likes this.

Thanks everyone for the posts! I really like the design of the Walther magazine release because, as mentioned above, while carrying IWB a "traditional" magazine release can be accidentally pressed. It terrifies me to think that if I ever actually need my gun to go bang that I only get one bang before I'm fumbling around for my magazine that's on the ground. The biggest thing for me as far as the advantage of the PPS over my CW9 is the interchangeable back strap.The larger PPS back strap feels amazing in my hand and I love the aggressive texturing. As far as the comparison to the M&P Shield, I'm a staunch believer that carry guns should NOT have a safety. When your brain goes to mush from adrenaline and all fine motor skills go out the window the last thing I want to worry about is flipping off a safety the size of a Tic Tac before I can defuse a situation. The only real safety is your brain. Just my opinion though.
    Tzed250 likes this.

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    Just sold my Glock G27 sub compact and looking for something thinner and easier to conceal. I handled at the gun shop a Walther PPS and M&P Shield. I liked the feel of both and could not make up my mind.

Is there any other thin subcompacts to look at besides a Kahr or Ruger to compare to a PPS or Shield?

For this summer I've been carrying my S&W .380 Bodyguard and borrowing my wife M&P 9c.

I really really really liked my Walther PPS in 9mm. I never had any problem with it, it shot great and always hit where I aimed.

The only bad part at the time was the price, which is now a lot lower.

Probably the gun I regret selling the most when money got tight. Highly recommended from me. However the only thing I did not like about it was that safety backstrap BS... never had an issue with it but you know what they say; anything that can happen, will happen.

I have the PPS in 9mm and I find it to be an excellent firearm. The trigger was a little gritty feeling out of the box but is considerably smoother after a couple hundred rounds. It eats any ammo I've thrown at it. It is very accurate and I find it to be a natural 'point and shoot' for me. I have held the shield but haven't shot it. The grip is different on the shield of course but I prefer the PPS. I carry it with the eight round magazine (8+1), wearing shorts and a tshirt and it disappears. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs. Go to waltherforums.com to find more discussion about the PPS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links