Any problems with Walther PPS? - Page 3

Any problems with Walther PPS?

This is a discussion on Any problems with Walther PPS? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mdrums Just sold my Glock G27 sub compact and looking for something thinner and easier to conceal. I handled at the gun ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any problems with Walther PPS?

New Member Array kittrellmatthew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    Just sold my Glock G27 sub compact and looking for something thinner and easier to conceal. I handled at the gun shop a Walther PPS and M&P Shield. I liked the feel of both and could not make up my mind.

Is there any other thin subcompacts to look at besides a Kahr or Ruger to compare to a PPS or Shield?

For this summer I've been carrying my S&W .380 Bodyguard and borrowing my wife M&P 9c.
    maybe you should look the taurus 709 slim it feels really good. i havent got a chance to shoot it yet but the trigger feels smooth and has a great reset.

Don't understand the mag release "problem" with the PPS. My first gun, the P22, has the same release and I find it easier to use than the other type and quite a bit faster. Maybe, since I was new to handguns, I never had a chance to get used to the "regular' release. To each his/her own, I guess.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I've had a 9mm PPS for almost four years. It's a top tier sidearm IMO.

Walther's design and German engineering is spot on with this particular pistol.

Accurate and uber reliable with all types of fmj/jhp ammo. I've got 2500 rds. through this pistol with zero failures.

The PPS seems to be one of the most respected pistols on the internet. (Google it.)

(BTW, the mag release is a good design and very easy to learn.)
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Love my PPS. Have been carrying it since February. Carry the 7 round +1 and a spare 8 round magazine right now.

Only complaint is that I would like a bigger gun with higher capacity on occasion that has an identical manual of arms but is the size of a Glock 19 (the PPQ is just a bit bigger/wider to fit this bill, but may get one anyway), and I would also love a smaller S&W bodyguard sized .380 version that is also identical. I love the magazine release myself, and wish there were more options for guns that work that way for similarity in operation...

I personally don't like the way the shield feels in my hand vs. the PPS even though the PPS looks blockier...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I HAD one. There was good, bad and ugly.

The bad:
    Out of the box I had trigger problems. It would double fire on occasion. I sent it back to Smith and Wesson and they fixed it. After that, it never failed.

The good:
    Dang accurate. Easy to shoot. Very high quality gun. I would trust it with my life.

The ugly:
    I did not want to learn a new magazine release. All my life, I have had a mag release using my right thumb. I did not want to have to retrain myself depending on which gun I carried. That could be bad and the hesitation under stress would be an issue I could easily solve by using a more traditional firearm.

And speaking of magazines, with the extensions, I consistently pinched myself when reloading. Because of the ugly, I sold my gun. I hope to get a M&P shield.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

can't find one any were

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    My question is why get a PPS? It's very similar to the M&P Shield and the cost is higher not to mention the mags.
    I bought the pps because I could'nt find the shield any were. It's always on back order. I argee with you 100%.

eb
    My wife has a couple thousand rounds through her PPS 9mm and it has been completely reliable. Nice gun, I am a fan of the mag release. Its virtually impossible to "pop" the mag out while holstered.

I love mine. Extremely accurate, shoots like a much larger pistol, very easy to conceal, mag release doesnt bother me at all, and works with any ammo I feed it.

I had some issues

I bought my PPS40 used and after a trip or two to the range my PPS became jammed and inoperable. I sent it back and it was repaired under the warranty. The replacement's slide would stop about 1/8" short of being in battery. Once I received my 3rd replacement I decided to trade it in for a G26 with night sights. I was able to trade it straight across, $0 out of pocket. I haven't been happier. I appreciate the extra rounds that the glock has and all the perks of owning a glock.

I loved how the pps fit in my hand, but the reliability, weight and low number of rounds in each magazine really helped seal the deal.

I have a PPS 9mm and bought it specifically for the mag release among other things. I'm a lefty and I'm very comfortable with this type of release. Mine has been problem-free and the trigger may have been a little gritty when new but has smoothed out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    My question is why get a PPS? It's very similar to the M&P Shield and the cost is higher not to mention the mags.
    Been around longer, German engineering, no safety to remember to take off. I absolutely love my PPS.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Love my German friend ....got the 9mm PPS. Reliable,great shooter and easy to conceal. Highly recommend..
    P220 Carry Sig Sauer goodness. Say hello to my leeeetle friend.

I would suggest if your going to buy a pps to look at the walther pps forum. You can use the information there to make sure you get one with a later date code so you get one that is up to date with the changes that have been made. I did and I love mine.

I carried and trained with a PPS for a year and never had issue one with it's function and it was very accurate. I just don't like the mag release. I think it's a great carry weapon.

I have owned a Walther PPS .40 for a few months now and it's my favorite carry. Slim, light, solid-feeling and it's great for a lefty like myself. I personally like the mag release and actually prefer it to button release methods. I have put over a thousand rounds through it with zero problems even when feeding it "junk" ammunition. I also purchased a Walther PPQ 9mm and actually prefer the PPS over the Q. I always recommend the S to anyone looking for a solid carry.
    photoshooter likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links