Any problems with Walther PPS?

This is a discussion on Any problems with Walther PPS? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock My question is why get a PPS? It's very similar to the M&P Shield and the cost is higher ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any problems with Walther PPS?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    My question is why get a PPS? It's very similar to the M&P Shield and the cost is higher not to mention the mags.
    I can think of several valid reasons, most of which have been mentioned already, but:

1. The Walther is heavier, which means it will handle recoil better.
    2. The .40 caliber M&P Shield has had a lot of problems; the Walther; not as many.
    3. The PPS is more readily available than the Shield. You can get a used one for a decent price.
    4. The PPS seems to be more "accurate", according to people who have fired them both.

(Plus it's conceivable someone might prefer the PPS trigger or appearance, or is working on a Walther collection, or something...)

2. Remove Ads

Walther PPS Malfunction - Damaged Back Strap

Today I experienced my first and hopefully last malfunction with my Walther PPS .40. I have put approximately 500 rounds through this weapon which I purchased in 2010. Up to now I have been impressed with it, especially its size and accuracy and carry it frequently, but today after shooting 8 rounds through it, it malfunctioned. Bottom line, the large back strap dislodged from the frame causing the weapon to cease operation. I was unable to replace the back strap onto the grip and as a result the gun was useless. Good thing I was at the range and not in a fire fight and needing to defend myself. Once I returned home, I replaced the large back strap with the smaller one and the gun operated as advertised. I contacted Walther and was told that the large back strap more than likely became damaged and was in need of replacement. They didn't say if this was a common occurrence or not. Although the replacement cost was nominal, it is not comforting to know that the weapon could cease operation so easily. I am wondering if others have experienced similar problems.

Thank you for telling us about that. Although it's been well over a year since I last posted in this thread, I was still liking the PPS better than the Shield. The backstrap "safety" was the one thing I really didn't like, and if that's going to be problematic, I might go for the M&P Shield after all.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

I owned the shield and now own the PPS, so there is your answer as to what I prefer. The shield was a very comfortable gun to hold, felt really good in the hand, but the one thing that I just didnt like on it was the trigger. For me it was very unpredictable and was very hard to stay consistent. Especially since it was the 40, being more snappy, it wasn't a good combo for me. Apex makes a trigger accessory for it, but I dont like having to modify my gun to make me happy. Therefore it went bye bye.
    Trigger on the PPS is top notch, I LOVE the trigger on it. Better than Glock in my opinion and very predictable. Also very comfortable to hold, and putting Talon grips made it even better!
    Regarding the back strap thing, I hardly EVER hear any issues with it. Put it this way, if you put the backstrap you like on it, then put a Talon grip on it, that fixes your problem right there. If you have the funds to buy a PPS, get it. Its a better built gun, not saying the Shield is junk by any means, PPS is just better.
    Or get an XDS, also a quality firearm with a great trigger. JMO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links