Any problems with Walther PPS?

This is a discussion on Any problems with Walther PPS? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm currently the proud owner of a Kahr CW9, which is my first carry gun. I love the size, weight, and reliability of my Kahr ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any problems with Walther PPS?

Any problems with Walther PPS?

I'm currently the proud owner of a Kahr CW9, which is my first carry gun. I love the size, weight, and reliability of my Kahr but have grown to dislike the trigger. I shoot better with a crisp trigger that breaks earlier and the loooooong, yet smooth trigger on my Kahr is starting to grate at me. I also wish the baskstrap was longer to fit my hand better. As a result, I was seduced today by the Walther PPS while at my LGS. I love all the features and yes, I even love the mag release (on 3 separate occasions I've unholstered my CW9 at the end of the day to find the magazine had been released...terrifying). I've scoured the forum for any problems with reliability and have only come across people nit picking about features that don't adversely effect reliability. Wondering what you all have heard and more importantly experienced.

2. Remove Ads

jyo
    I have both the CW9 and a PPS in 9mm---yeah, it took awhile to become accustomed to the long (but smooth and light) trgger of the Kahr---still, all is not better with the Walther as the trigger is very "Glock like"---that is a good bit of take-up followed by a rather heavy, unsmooth release---it ain't no 1911! Keep in mind that these are hide-out guns and not target pistols---if you need it, the situation will probably be real close and violent---more of a grab, point and shoot rather then a carefully aimed, take-your-time kind of thing.

Sponsor
    I luvmyPPS!

The only problem that I have heard about is with a spring in the slide lock that can break or move out of position and cause a jam. It has been redesigned and is a warranty replacement if you get an older model. Mine has the old spring but I have not replaced it yet.

I have had very good accuracy from my sample of one PPS(9mm). I like the trigger better than any of the other slim offerings. I also have a Taurus 709 and a Bersa BP9CC. Both are nice and have features/characteristics that I like but the PPS is the better all around package for me. The price was the only thing holding me back initially but that has come down a good bit in the recent past.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I too am a fan of my PPS 9mm. The split trigger caused me some discomfort initially but I seem to have developed a callous which prevents the pain now.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I luvmyPPS!

The only problem that I have heard about is with a spring in the slide lock that can break or move out of position and cause a jam. It has been redesigned and is a warranty replacement if you get an older model. Mine has the old spring but I have not replaced it yet.

I have had very good accuracy from my sample of one PPS(9mm). I like the trigger better than any of the other slim offerings. I also have a Taurus 709 and a Bersa BP9CC. Both are nice and have features/characteristics that I like but the PPS is the better all around package for me. The price was the only thing holding me back initially but that has come down a good bit in the recent past.
    Thanks luvmy40. That certainly is in line with all that I've heard about the PPS. It is news to me about the spring for the slide lock release. You say that bug has been worked out though?

God Bless

The PPS9 is my primary EDC. Very accurate for a 3" barrel and the trigger folks seem to be complaining about does smooth out with use. I have probably 1,000 rounds through mine have no callous and no pain. The spring issue is news to me as well, I've had mine for a couple of years now. That may have been a very initial problem.

Great shooting gun but I just couldn't get used to that magazine release.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a PPS and it is a really fine gun. It is the perfect carry gun in my opinion. At first I was surprised to find that the trigger was quite gritty feeling. After 400 rounds, that trigger smoothed out significantly.
    Be aware (if you are a reloader) that the PPS has a stepped chamber. Which is a step or ring cut into the chamber about 1/8 inch back from the lands and grooves. The purpose is to better seal the chamber when the bullet fires, but it does leave a ring on the case mouth after firing. So far, it has not effected my reloading these cases. This is how the cases look after firing:

Although the PPS is not a target gun, it is very accurate and fun to shoot. I can easily run 21 consecutive rounds inside a three inch circle at 33 ft. off hand.

The only negative I've heard is that S&W treats the PPS like a step child and doesn't service them with the same care and enthusiasm as they do the regular S&W line. I have no first hand experience though.

Good luck, and enjoy the PPS!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Also my daily carry and I will tell you, I love the thing like a child. Only problem was ONE FTE around the fifty round mark, but that was over a thousand rounds ago, and everything has smoothed out. Also, I wish every gun had the same mag release, its cake to hit, yet never accidentally. Good luck!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

My PPS 9mm is awesome! I read some hiccups with the .40 so I got the 9mm.

VIP Member
    My question is why get a PPS? It's very similar to the M&P Shield and the cost is higher not to mention the mags.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I can only echo what most have said above. My PPS9 is my carry gun. More so, I now have over 3,500 rounds out of this things, and not one, repeat, not one malfunction of any sort. As far as accuracy is concerned, at the standard 21' line, my PPS will shoot as well as my S&W M&P FS competition modified pistol. The quality is outstanding, and the size is perfect.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    My question is why get a PPS? It's very similar to the M&P Shield and the cost is higher not to mention the mags.
    Primary reason I personally would look at it over the shield is the PPS doesn't have a external thumb safety. On the flip side the PPS has that (what I consider to be) annoying mag release and is in my opinion a bit heavy for what it is. 6 in one hand...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Primary reason I personally would look at it over the shield is the PPS doesn't have a external thumb safety. On the flip side the PPS has that (what I consider to be) annoying mag release and is in my opinion a bit heavy for what it is. 6 in one hand...
    As I mentioned before, I bet the safety is an easy fix. I have not got a shield yet or I would take it apart and let you know for sure. I did it on other M&P's no problem.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    As I mentioned before, I bet the safety is an easy fix. I have not got a shield yet or I would take it apart and let you know for sure. I did it on other M&P's no problem.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    I haven't seen it first hand but I've been told by a few people that the safety can't be removed like it can on other M&P's. However, if they are wrong (or if you figure out another way to do it) please please please let me know. I'd buy a shield in a heart beat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links