looking for a wheel gun

This is a discussion on looking for a wheel gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, well, I found one, just don't want to pay what it costs: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y What I want is something that will be just right for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a wheel gun

looking for a wheel gun

OK, well, I found one, just don't want to pay what it costs:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

What I want is something that will be just right for self protection on the hiking trail and will stand up to a bear. So do I need a 460? Would a 357 mag do? or a 44 mag? Anything else out there that doesn't cost $1.4K ?

Oh yeah, size and weight are important as my pack is heavy as it is on its own.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

the question I have is where are you hiking. 44Mag will do for Black Bears and maybe Stateside Grizzlies. But Alaskan Browns and Polar Bears I would go with something bigger.

BFR pistols made a snubby revolver chambered for 45-70, that held 5 rounds. I ssaw a guy buy one to take to alaska. Not sure I would like to shoot it.

Why not just carry a 45-70 carbin instead of a pistol.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd consider .44 mag. Loaded hot they're a real handful but would be reasonable for close range bear if you do your part. Loaded light w/.44 specials it's reasonable for range work. I believe a .357 would be nominally adequate but I'm certainly no expert on bear. I've hunted black bear but not brown. Which are you primarily concerned about? I'd also want a 4" barrel assuming you're going to carry it OWB. Can't imagine that color for a grip either

And I'd really want a 10ga shotgun myself....

God Bless
    Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    the question I have is where are you hiking. 44Mag will do for Black Bears and maybe Stateside Grizzlies. But Alaskan Browns and Polar Bears I would go with something bigger.
    Primarily California so I believe Black Bear would be the biggest game I'd have to deal with.
    BFR pistols made a snubby revolver chambered for 45-70, that held 5 rounds. I ssaw a guy buy one to take to alaska. Not sure I would like to shoot it.
    BFR?
    Why not just carry a 45-70 carbin instead of a pistol.
    Well, cause carbin would be heavier, don't want to scare other hikers, hard to sleep with one in the sleeping bag (I like sleeping under the stars as much as possible and sleeping with one arm around the carbin to keep it under control does not sound like as comfy of a night as a night with one arm around a hot chick )

Huzar...you'll need a .44 Mag, and you won't find one that will add less than 26 ounces to your pack as this one will. I'd guess you'll find this for about $850 when you shop around, so get out shopping!

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...egory_rn=15706

Good luck.

Senior Moderator
    Since you are in So. Cal I'm going to assume that its Black Bears that you are concerned about.

I've killed black bears here in Arkansas and been in on several others. I've seen them shot through the heart with highpowered rifles and still run over 100 yards. with that being said, I wouldnt got with any thing less than a .44 mag.

S&W makes what they call a 'Mountain Revolver" in .44mag that would fill the bill, they run from 5-600 bucks. Any of the major brands of .44 would work and they can all be had for around the same price.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

BFR means Biggest Finest Revolver, they are made by magnum research. I checked their websight , they no longer show a snubby.
    They are large single actions . I would recomend you go with a S&W 629 or Ruger redhawk in at least 44Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    BFR means Biggest Finest Revolver, they are made by magnum research. I checked their websight , they no longer show a snubby.
    They are large single actions . I would recomend you go with a S&W 629 or Ruger redhawk in at least 44Mag.
    I was just looking at the S&W 629: looking nice. Now all I need to do is win the lotto as with my recent handgun purchases I'm starting to neglect my other hobbies!

Also looking at my turners catalog I noticed that there is a S&W 329PD .44 MAG out there. 4" barrell and oly $759.
    Last edited by Huzar; September 11th, 2006 at 02:46 AM.

definately check out the rugers.....they are built like a tank! if you cant kill it with the rounds at least you can try to beat it to death with the gun and not worry about hurting it =O)....the gun that is!

I've worked as a National Park wilderness ranger in summer for 17 seasons and seen a couple dozen bears each year, including Sequoia NP. No problemos.

Bearanoia is a common psychodramatic (sp) affliction. A can of Counter Assault pepper and the book 'Back Country Bear Basics' by Dave Smith are far more useful and cheaper and interesting than the recommended 357 alternative for the lower 48.

Since I have traveled to AK and flyfished salmon streams in brushy areas with grizzly in the area I do at times carry a modified 44 mag with appropriate ammo at times. Yellowstone, Idaho, Glacier areas suggest the 44 mag too.

If you are just looking for a reason to buy a big gun...do it anyway, they're great fun.

erh
    I say my Dad's favorite answer:"A 12 GA. shotgun w/ Slugs, and someone "Not" Dear to you that definately cannot "Out-run" you is the answer to having to deal w/ a "Big Bear..!"

"I have this one for our "S.E., GA. Bears..!": (S&W, "P.C.", 3", .44MAG., "Carry Comp.")

I personally would "Really Not" want to deal w/ a "Big Bear At All..!"
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I'd go with a .41MAG. The power is better than the .357MAG and close to the .44MAG and the recoil is much more manageable. It is sufficient for just about everything but the biggest grizzlies and Alaskan Browns. In my opinion it's probably the best all around hiking gun for North America.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

The ultimate trail gun:

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/mlexp...ah/howdah.html

Attached Images
    Last edited by stmichps; September 12th, 2006 at 10:14 AM.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I've had my 5" S&W 629 Classic Stainless .44 RM for 15 years and 1000s of rounds. I would not sell it for anything. I wouldn't settle for less than a .44 either.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links