Canoeing/River Floating with a Glock

This is a discussion on Canoeing/River Floating with a Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you are on the river it isn't like you can get the cops to show up anytime soon. When seconds count they are an ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Canoeing/River Floating with a Glock

When you are on the river it isn't like you can get the cops to show up anytime soon. When seconds count they are an hour away.

Or if camping in a remote area along the bank the chance of running across a BG is there.

Really surprised some don't think protecting oneself is necessary on the river?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Smart carrying while out in the woods. Last ten years been running into alot more aggressive scumbags.Never know what you'll have to deal with. I read about a father with his two young daughters camping in remote Wisconsin lake being fired on by a nut with an AKM. There were three guys I think , one fired into there site all night from a boat. The father took his kids and hid. Survived, perp arrested. Had he been armed that guy and his buddies may have got what he deserved. Last fall my son and I returned to our campsite and encountered two men going thru our site. I was glad to be armed. Be armed...always.Id just find a heavy duty ziplock for keeping your weapon dry if in and out of water.Weapon type totally irrelevant...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Really surprised some don't think protecting oneself is necessary on the river?
    I'm not.

It's the same mindset as those who only carry when they have to gp to the 'bad' section of town or just throw a Keltec in their pocket when running out to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Haha I was kind of thinking the same thing, you normally don't run into much gunfire in a canoe :D

But if people want to carry, they're going to carry. :)
    This question actually surprise me. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, pulling over on unknown shoals or beaches to camp overnight, the river is full of unknown individuals, some intoxicated or on drugs, there have been numerous individuals killed while out in the wilderness hiking or enjoying the wilderness, I'm out there with my wife and two kids and usually friends of the kids, you can encounter wild animals, etc, etc. MY question is why anyone would not be armed in a situation like that. The majority of people participating in this forum probably carry a 15 round 9mm with two spare clips and a BUG just to go to Wal Mart or the mailbox. I would feel much safer going there unarmed than out in the middle of nowhere on a canoeing and camping trip. Not that I don't carry going to Wal Mart. I'm just saying. I'm going to be armed whenever and wherever I can.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was also wondering, although I would never consider taking my PF9 where it would be submerged is it possible with the XD or is the construction that much different than the Glock.

I had originally thought about waterproof bags and such but the reasons I questioned the Glock scenario is that it's a lot slower to pull a gun out and pull it out of a waterproof container than to draw from a holster.

Im sure if you needed it quick any good pistol should function if in a ziplock bag. test it...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Guys, it was a joke! Carry where ever when ever........
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Don't try this with a 1911.

Is there any ammo that is advertised as waterproof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (sorry if this was posted already, didn't read the whole thread)
    NATO ammo would be GTG.

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    carry a 15 round 9mm with two spare clips and a BUG just to go to Wal Mart or the mailbox. .
    yes? and? so what if i do? LOL
    pfries likes this.

I'd imagine an XD is fairly similar, but I'd only do it with a Glock.

you can always get a spear gun; it works wet or dry

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    This question actually surprise me. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, pulling over on unknown shoals or beaches to camp overnight, the river is full of unknown individuals, some intoxicated or on drugs, there have been numerous individuals killed while out in the wilderness hiking or enjoying the wilderness, I'm out there with my wife and two kids and usually friends of the kids, you can encounter wild animals, etc, etc. MY question is why anyone would not be armed in a situation like that. The majority of people participating in this forum probably carry a 15 round 9mm with two spare clips and a BUG just to go to Wal Mart or the mailbox. I would feel much safer going there unarmed than out in the middle of nowhere on a canoeing and camping trip. Not that I don't carry going to Wal Mart. I'm just saying. I'm going to be armed whenever and wherever I can.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was also wondering, although I would never consider taking my PF9 where it would be submerged is it possible with the XD or is the construction that much different than the Glock.

I had originally thought about waterproof bags and such but the reasons I questioned the Glock scenario is that it's a lot slower to pull a gun out and pull it out of a waterproof container than to draw from a holster.
    You said canoeing, not camping/hiking in the wilderness. Much different, you should carry in that situation :D
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I'd imagine an XD is fairly similar, but I'd only do it with a Glock.
    I would not hesitate to do it with my M&P, or any revolver.
    pfries likes this.

Just remember,if a snake drops out of a tree into you boat,don'shoot it.

I'm river-floating/fishing the month of June and will have G23 on my hip at all times, plus the KT Sub-2000 in the fishing bucket. The only 4 legged critters I have to worry about are ring-tails, but the dog should have fun with that.

I would do it with my XD in a holster in a heart beat and not think twice about it. A glock would be the same, if I can not depend on said weapon or ammo they become range toys.
    Even a SIG will perform like this trust me on that.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links