Canoeing/River Floating with a Glock - Page 3

Canoeing/River Floating with a Glock

This is a discussion on Canoeing/River Floating with a Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carrying while canoeing makes a lot sense to me, anytime in remote areas for that matter....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Canoeing/River Floating with a Glock

Carrying while canoeing makes a lot sense to me, anytime in remote areas for that matter.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Just remember,if a snake drops out of a tree into you boat,don'shoot it.
    Almost happened last year rafting. Floated into the branches and reached up to grab a limb to redirect and there he was draped over the limb. Three screaming teenage girls. I was able to get them to quiet down while we floated out all while all options and scenarios went through my mind. Shooting in the boat wasn't an option but it was a heart stopper. Would the XD or revolver...I've thought about taking my Security Six...not rust when water gets down into the mechanisms? I can see accidently getting wet and soaking with oil right after but canoeing and swimming for a weekend with the handgun and there be no harm is hard for me to see.

Take the glock and quit worrying. Detail strip it when you get home if you think you need to. It's a Glock.

Whenever I'm on a canoe trip, I carry an XD9sc inside an aLoksak element proof waterproof ziplock bag, carried inside a cargo pocket on my shorts.

Yeah, the water won't hurt the gun, but having it kept inside a waterproof bag sure helps avoid having to cleaning the gun every night at camp.

I use several different sized aLoksaks for a lot of different sensitive gear.

They are certified waterproof to 200 meters submersion in salt water for two weeks. Approved by US Navy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I would not hesitate to do it with my M&P, or any revolver.
    I have fly fished and got my M&P wet several times without issue.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I've carried everything from revolvers (including a wood-grip Mod 66) to autos to rifles and shotguns on boats, wading in rivers, sitting in duck blinds, slogging through marshes, and in pouring rain. Never went swimming for a long time with them, but I got some of them immersed through unintended short swims. Never had a problem. On overnight camping trips, I usually cleaned/lubed at night. Holsters were more problem than the pistols/revolvers, as I used to carry a lot in leather pancakes, and who remembers to bring saddle soap with them when they're camping?

I've been CC and OC, depending on where, my Sig P250 variants while canoeing and fishing this summer and they've gotten very wet but not immersed (yet). I still clean and lube after every trip. No problems.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I bought a stainless steel 3" Ruger GP100 for this very purpose. Less worry with the SS. I would keep the pistol in a water tight bag as has been suggested. Access might be a tad slower but making sure your ammo functions I think is worth the trade off.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

WD40,spray the internals good after you get home,I use to Duck/goose hunt,we dragged shotguns thru water/mud/crud and as long as we stripped them down and blasted the internals with WD40 before wiping down and then clean and lube like normal we never had any rust,but let bare metal sit unprotected overnight and you will have surface rust in the morning,
    I used to carry a lot in leather pancakes, and who remembers to bring saddle soap with them when they're camping?
    Hopefully you are talking about "Gun Rugs" and not holsters,Saddle soap will turn a good holster into mush
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I saw some waterproof fanny packs on the web while researching this some. I think some were for diving. That might be another option. Although a lot slower on presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Hopefully you are talking about "Gun Rugs" and not holsters,Saddle soap will turn a good holster into mush
    Didn't know that - used to use saddle soap and mink oil all the time. Now I use Lexol. What do you normally use to condition and waterproof?

I'm definitely no expert in leather... though I can shine the hell out of a set of Corcorans or low quarters!

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Didn't know that - used to use saddle soap and mink oil all the time. Now I use Lexol. What do you normally use to condition and waterproof?

I'm definitely no expert in leather... though I can shine the hell out of a set of Corcorans or low quarters!
    A good holster shouldn't need conditioning or waterproofing. They are meant to be stiff, and should be finished and sealed to prevent them from absorbing any moisture.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Haha I was kind of thinking the same thing, you normally don't run into much gunfire in a canoe :D

But if people want to carry, they're going to carry. :)
    One word: "Deliverence"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

no problems. just clean it when you get back home. as ammo goes, don't worry. it will work. i have washed a mag full of 380 acp ammo before and it still went bang. it was so nice and clean when i took it out of the dryer. the mag was too.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

This doesn't really contribute to the OP's question but i thought i'd share. My wife and i had a "Drano Bomb" explode by our canoe on our last float trip (Spring River, AR. Red-Neck Holiday). I thought someone had discharged a gun! I looked over and saw the exploded water bottle, tin foil chunks, and the little vapor cloud on the bank. Then we saw/heard the guys about 30 yards down the river in their canoe laughing at us. HA HA! Funny joke. I don't think they meant any physical harm but for that split second I thought the shat was going down...and i had nothing. Next time I will CC (Canoe Carry).

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I plan to resume canoe and kayak activity, after nearly a decade of being tied-down caring for an invalid elderly relative. This is one reason I have a Glock G17 on layaway; I figure a properly cleaned, protected, and lubed Glock can handle a few days of being occasionally splashed and briefly dunked, in freshwater, with no maintenance during the trip. In this case, proper protection and lube means the moisture-displacing type. (The other reason for buying a G17 is because it looks like my employer is about to authorize certain 9mm duty pistols; we have been all-.40 for 15 years. My ailing wrist needs a break from sharp .40 recoil.)

OTOH, I would have no problem using my P229 or Les Baer TRS in the same environment. I would feel more of an urge to strip and clean these pistols after a dunking, but historically, SIGs and 1911s have handled foul conditions quite well.

My stainless steel Ruger revolvers would also suit me fine, except that those with wood grip panels would not likely be selected for such a trip, except for being carried inside a waterproof container. I would not select S&W revolvers for carry on the water outside a waterproof container, as detail-stripping such revolvers involves more tools, and more little parts laying about while cleaning. I prefer detail-stripping S&W revolvers only at home, with good light and a nice level working surface.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links