S&W model 60 vs model 19

This is a discussion on S&W model 60 vs model 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am at a crossroads and trying to decide. I currently have a 642 and a 4" model 13. I am thinking of adding another ...

View Poll Results: Which one

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Model 19

17 53.13%
  • Model 60

11 34.38%

4 12.50%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pogo2
  • 1 Post By keboostman

Thread: S&W model 60 vs model 19

S&W model 60 vs model 19

I am at a crossroads and trying to decide. I currently have a 642 and a 4" model 13. I am thinking of adding another revolver to my carry rotation. I like shoot the 13 better than any other gun I own. I shoot the 642 quite well. I am looking at the 60 because I feel the added weight will help me even more. I am thinking the 19 because being a snub I could carry it appendix and I know I would shoot it close to the 13. One being 38 and be 38/357 isnt a big deal. I am perfectly happy with 5/6 38 special before reload. I like the SA option on both of these. While I would probably not use it for self defense it has its place with small animals etc. What are your thoughts? I carry a Glock 26 most days now if that gives an idea of weight I am used to.

2. Remove Ads

There's not a big difference between the M13 and the M19 save adjustable sights and barrel length (assuming the 19 is a snub) - and both will be around 36 ounces. The M60 is about 23 ounces dry, and your G26 is about 20 ounces dry. Strictly on the basis of how much you're lugging around on your belt, the M60 seems like a better choice. Also, its narrower cylinder will be more comfortable in the appendix location.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    My brother has Two snub nickle 19's and they are great.
    .357 capable but are stoked with GD short barrel .38+p
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

K frames large for appendix carry...

I have 3 of the revolvers you mentioned, the 642, the 60, and the 19 snubby. And I like appendix carry, but only for the J frames. I find the K frame model 19 a little large and heavy for appendix, and wear it in a pancake holster at 4 o'clock when I have carried it.

When size and concealment are most important I go with a J frame .38 - usually the 642 because of lower weight than the all steel model 60. And I would carry the K frame model 19 snubby when I want 6 rounds of magnums and can carry behind my hip. It is easier to shoot the 19 well and magnums make a stronger statement than .38s. So I would advocate the model 19 snubby for belt carry other than appendix position. It is an excellent gun with a great trigger feel.

shooterX likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I just gave my father a model 60. Good guns. That'd be my vote.

VIP Member
    I voted for the model 19 (I have a model 66), especially if it's a snub, and would recommend carrying it at 4 o'clock as pogo2 stated. I have a modle 60 also, and makes an excellent carry gun as well.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I normally carry a 640-1, because I like the weight and the 357 option, but when hiking in the desert, I carry a model 36. Being all steel, it has good weight and balance and is SA/DA. If I run into a no legged, or smaller four legged critter, single action would be/has been my choice.

J frames (and old guys) rule!

Nothing wrong with either but I'm partial to the Model 19 and so voted. I've noticed the snub nosed 19s usually have a pretty high asking price in my neck of the woods.

The Model 60 is a great carry option. Smaller than the 19. Mine's chambered in .357, and I had it mag-na-ported...helps a lot in that small package.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    model 60 as a 3" Pro.
    target quiality and 357 thats easy to carry.

when i went to replace my 642 i decided to stay with a 332 and add the 60 Pro.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have owned both. I carried the Model 19 on duty and the 60 off duty. While I loved the 19, I would recommend the 60 for concealed carry simply because the adjustable sights on the 19 are slightly more likely to catch on your cloting.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I voted Model 19 2 1/2-inch. Holds six rounds and soaks up recoil of full-powered .357 Magnum loads adequately. I'd eagerly shoot someone else's J-Frame .357 Magnum but don't much want to own one.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I love the Model 19/66 Smith and Wessons. They tame the recoil, are more accurate than I am and have great triggers. Also, they conceal well. Compared to a Glock 26--no comparison. The Glock is not even close.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

You make a good point keboostman, about the trigger of the K-Frame Magnum Models 13, 19, 65, and 66. The double-action trigger pull of the K-Frame Smith & Wesson is truly smoother and is more conducive to accurate shooting then the models built on the J-Frame. This is partly due to the flat main spring of the K-Frame versus the coil main spring of the J-Frame. The diminutive dimensions of the J-Frame action parts and the lack of weight in the cylinder also make for a DA trigger that is just a bit less than optimal. Only personal opinion but the J-Frame has a uniquely inferior trigger when compared to the larger Smith & Wesson models. Mind you it still ain't bad at all.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links