how do you carry DA/SA

This is a discussion on how do you carry DA/SA within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; mine has a 5 lbs trigger pull with pretravel like any other striker fired, just no safety on the trigger, and it doesn't leave the ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your DA/SA

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cocked in single action

15 16.13%
  • Decocked in double action

78 83.87%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: how do you carry DA/SA

mine has a 5 lbs trigger pull with pretravel like any other striker fired, just no safety on the trigger, and it doesn't leave the holster until i plan to shoot it, i just think that it would be just as easy for an M&P or glock to go off as mine. so i am confused a little by how it's more dangerous. Now if I had a hammer fired DA/SA with a very light SA trigger, then I'd carry it decocked. Mine happens to be designed to carry either way.

2. Remove Ads

this thread is ridiculous or flame bait. probably both.
    suntzu likes this.

Yeah, no cocked SA without a safety. My feet don't work as well with holes in them.
    Secret Spuk and jbum like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjacob316 View Post
    mine has a 5 lbs trigger pull with pretravel like any other striker fired, just no safety on the trigger, and it doesn't leave the holster until i plan to shoot it, i just think that it would be just as easy for an M&P or glock to go off as mine. so i am confused a little by how it's more dangerous. Now if I had a hammer fired DA/SA with a very light SA trigger, then I'd carry it decocked. Mine happens to be designed to carry either way.
    Perhaps we could speak more accurately if we knew what model we are discussing. Please enlighten us.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

not my intention, really didn't expect anyone to get bent out of shape, had no idea it would be a hot button topic. I was considering buying a new one that is hammer fired with no safety, so I was interested in seeing people's thoughts on it. I don't have any issues carrying mine in single action, but I didn't know about carrying a hammer fired with light trigger in single action. At first I thought I was just being silly worrying about a discharge, guess not. A double action pull on the first shot for me is like wasting the first shot, and I don't really want to have to worry about a thumb safety, which is why i've stayed away from hammer fired guns, and probably will continue to for now.

walther P99c AS. It has three trigger stages, no safeties. It's meant to be carried in single action really.

walther P99c AS. It has three trigger stages, no safeties. It's meant to be carried in single action really.
    That's not DA/SA, that's DAO or more accurate somewhere in between, like a Glock. Striker fired pistol. No single action.

DA/SA is something like this:

In this picture both guns are in single action, the bottom one is a DA/SA while the top is a SA only gun. Neither should be carried in this manner without the safety engaged as it is very dangerous.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

its just really hard to consider this double action when if it pulls back at all with the trigger, its so small that you can't feel it

To be accurate, though it's classified as DAO, it's really somewhere in between DAO and SA. When racking the slide the internal striker is pulled back a little bit. When pulling the trigger, the striker is pulled back further and then released. A true single action does not move the hammer at all (other than to release it) when the trigger is pulled, and a true DAO moves the hammer all the way from rest to fully rearward. It's safe to carry your P99c and other striker fired pistols cocked as they are designed for this.

The reason this is safe is because should the striker be released, as it's not fully rearward it won't likely result in a discharge. In SA, the hammer is fully rearward and if released the gun absolutely will fire. On top of that, in SA triggers are usually very short and light.

JD
    Administrator
    That makes a little more sense. More of a Glock with a 3.5 trigger job than a Sig with hammer cocked.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

walther calls the trigger single action, it may not be a true single action, but I called it single action based on their info given.

the QA is the one like a glock

My mistake, I read a bit more into the P99c AS and it's not at all like a traditional striker fired pistol, you do have a single action option.

I don't fully understand all the trigger modes on your pistol, but I wouldn't carry any gun in traditional SA mode (where only the shortest of trigger pulls is required to fire) without a safety.

I'd just leave it in DA. I don't trust trigger safeties that much. One sudden surprise while holstering your weapon and you could end up having a really bad day.

VIP Member
    First of all, I am not a Walther expert. I just did a quick scan of the manual for the P99c AS. The manual clearly states,

3.3 Decocker (P99 AS)
    The decocker offers a safe way of de-cocking the P99 AS. The decocker is routinely used to de-cock the striker. De-cock the P99 AS after loading, before holstering and prior to disassembly. Press the decocker downwards into the slide until the striker is audibly and visually de-cocked (3.3 Fig. 1).
    If you find that it is difficult or cumbersome to manipulate the decocker using your shooting hand’s thumb, or if you are left-handed, you should use the thumb of your non-shooting hand to do so.

Always point the pistol in a safe direction during de-cocking.

Always de-cock the P99 AS before holstering. The de-cocked pistol remains ready for service using the Double Action trigger

WARNING: Pulling the slide rearward will cock the striker again.
    I do not see where it is recommended to carry it in SA. You can do as you please, but if a firearm has a specific safety feature, it is meant to be used. Some have more that others. Some designs are better than others.

As for the trigger weight and ND's, well, the Glocks and SDs have trigger safeties that can LESSEN the chances of a ND. Keeping your finger off the trigger and/or the trigger covered is a minimum for safety on any handgun. My thinking is that having a safety feature and consciously CHOOSING not to utilize it is the "negligent" part of a ND.

I'm not bent out of shape. You can do as you please. Just be responsible.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I don't think they would add the anti stress stage if it was meant to be carried decocked. that's why i assume it's meant to be in single action. Like I said earlier, I really thought I was being a whimp worrying about a discharge, kinda glad it's a legit worry. So if I get a hammer fired da/sa I will not carry it cocked unless it has a manual safety. I just need to get better at the double action pull so that first shot isn't a waste

JD
    Administrator
    I don't think they would add the anti stress stage if it was meant to be carried decocked. that's why i assume it's meant to be in single action. Like I said earlier, I really thought I was being a whimp worrying about a discharge, kinda glad it's a legit worry. So if I get a hammer fired da/sa I will not carry it cocked unless it has a manual safety. I just need to get better at the double action pull so that first shot isn't a waste
    Start here:

pistol-training.com » Fear Not, The Double Action Shot!

Follow up here: pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » The Double/Single Action Pistol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links