How do you carry your DA/SA

• Cocked in single action

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Decocked in double action

Votes: 78 83.9%

how do you carry DA/SA

10K views 58 replies 35 participants last post by  msc8127 
#1 ·
I'm just curious to see how those of you out there carry your DA/SA. I keep mine in single action, despite not having a safety on the gun.

#40 ·
I don't get it? If I carry one of my 1911's (Ed Brown or Kimber), I load mag and rack the slide. I engage the safety. Pull the mag and pop in another round. I know that if I disengage the safety and pull trigger it goes boom.

When I carry S&W M&P9c, same idea. I load mag, rack slide, pull mag in add another. This one does not have a safety so I know if I just pull trigger goes Boom.

I never know if I have time to rack slides, plus lose a round as well.

Am I carrying wrong?

#43 ·
When I had my Ruger KP95, I carried it in DA with Safety off. Being that DA is @ 10lbs, there is no way a ND could happen if its sitting in the holster.

If you have a good holster, no matter how you carry and how light the trigger pull is, there is no way a ND would happen without you knowing it.

#50 ·
I am new to the forum, so first let me say "HI, YA'LL".
I have a SIG 2022 that I carry, wherever it is legal. My model has a decocker and a thumb safety.
I carry decoced and safety on (a little habit that I kept from my service in the forces). My thought is that if the pistol has a safety, I might as well use it. Is there ever a "too safe"?
The rest is just practice. I practice every day... Draw and fire drill. It cost me $5 for the snap caps and 5-10 minutes a day, and it makes the whole process a simple muscle memory issue.
To carry cocked with no safety is not the way to go, and I don't think that was the idea behind SA in the first place.

#51 ·
Only my 1911s are carried in condition 1. Others are carried in condition 2 if they have a decocker such as my Beretta PX4.

I love my Glock 17, but I do not keep a round in the chamber since there is no way to decock a Glock without pulling the safety trigger. Call me old school. :>)

Vv

#52 ·
I carried a Walther PPK/S for three years. I carried it decocked with the safety off. That is just like a decocked SIG P226 is carried.

The first pull was like a DA revolver. The rest more like a 1911.

One of the things I liked about the PPK/S when I first started carrying was that I could load, unload, and clear the gun with the decocking lever in the safe position. My biggest concern is an ND while handling the gun. I now carry Glocks, LCP, P238 Cond 1, and the Shield with the safety off.

Fitch

#55 ·
certain things are designed to operate in a definite fashion. we may use words to make it sound like there are different methods--change the parameters/ change the meaning if a word.....but---that does not change the manor the item was designed to operate properly, safely'

DA/SA means the hammer is de-cocked on a chambered round and the triggers 1st pull has iit to operate as a double asction....like a revolver. after the 1st round is fired, the gun cycles and the hammer stays back like a 1911 with a round in the chamber. the trigger now operates as a single action 1911 and will continue to do so till you stop pulling it or the magazine runs out of ammo ( or it jams).

a Sig P239 is a excellent example of this design

to run this gun with a round chambered and the hammer back is begging for a ND and if a student tried it, id....
feel rather threatened being near them and the words id use would be very certain.

#56 ·
Here are a couple of links to how a Glock and Beretta operate. Its interactive and you can see the different safeties and how they interact with the different parts of the firearm. I am a firm believer that if you carry you should understand how your firearm operates and functions. Knowledge is the key to firearm safety. There is much more to a Glock safety sysytem than a two piece trigger.
Genitron.com: Basics-Interactive Illustrated Glock Pistol
Genitron.com: Basics-Interactive Illustrated Beretta Pistol

#57 ·
Thank you cjacob316 for posting this question. As someone who is new to carry, with my DA/SA P239, I was curious if it was at all common to carry with a round chambered and the hammer back since the gun has no actual safety. Personally, I decided that it would be best to use the DA first shot as the safety, but I am glad to see this decision reinforced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.