how do you carry DA/SA

This is a discussion on how do you carry DA/SA within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the OP. If you want to carry in S/A get yourself a 1911. It has the grip safety and a thumb safety. If the ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your DA/SA

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cocked in single action

15 16.13%
  • Decocked in double action

78 83.87%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: how do you carry DA/SA

To the OP. If you want to carry in S/A get yourself a 1911. It has the grip safety and a thumb safety. If the gun is on fire and the grip safety NOT engauged, the trigger will not squeeze and will not drop the hammer. Press the grip safety and you have a short and sweet trigger pull. But if I do carry one of my two plastic DA/SA pistol's they are carried decocked but on fire.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    OK, I have that gun in the S&W equivalent; same thing. To be honest about it, I have never quite been able
    to feel and to comprehend the 3 stages; and I've had it about 8-10 years now. The overall design is very nice,
    and very safe, and it is effectively SAO from the
    instant you wrack the slide and one gets pushed forward. At that point, if you look at the back you'll see a little
    red striker protrusion designed to let you know you are ready to go. I always use the decocker immediately.
    I always look to make sure the striker isn't showing.

Use the decocker and enjoy the safety of the DA/SA trigger.

Yeah, I know the book talks about a more complicated 3 way business. Ignore that. Frankly after all these years I've
    never quite been able to figure it out and I wouldn't trust my safety to it.
    Maybe its technically correct but like someone else said, "My feet don't work as well with holes in them."

BTW, if you don't like the DA for the initial shot, a very short light and easy tug on the slide will get you into SA
    or whatever it is they call their intermediate mode with the easy but long pull.

I like it for my beside precisely because I don't need to worry about thumbing the safety.

For various reasons I've been coveting a Sig 229; I'd no more think of carrying the 99c cocked than I would the 229
    for whatever perceived advantage their might be in being in SA. Just too dangerous.

If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

OP is gonna get someone hurt, or himself for that matter

glad to read it seems to be a misunderstanding.

I believe some of the DA/SA CZ's can be carried cocked and locked or DA if you're interested in both.

Training....YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by cjacob316 View Post
    a trigger safety on a glock or m&p won't prevent it, seen it happen. so what's the difference?

Man's Leather Holster Causes Accidental Discharge
    That holster did not fit his gun properly, or the leather had weakened and bent down below part of the trigger guard causing it to be unsafe. If in a properly fitted and maintained holster, I don't see how this could happen.

VIP Member
    Not going to give the OP any business, but training and practice......

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    OK, I have that gun in the S&W equivalent; same thing. To be honest about it, I have never quite been able
    to feel and to comprehend the 3 stages; and I've had it about 8-10 years now. The overall design is very nice,
    and very safe, and it is effectively SAO from the
    instant you wrack the slide and one gets pushed forward. At that point, if you look at the back you'll see a little
    red striker protrusion designed to let you know you are ready to go. I always use the decocker immediately.
    I always look to make sure the striker isn't showing.

Use the decocker and enjoy the safety of the DA/SA trigger.

Yeah, I know the book talks about a more complicated 3 way business. Ignore that. Frankly after all these years I've
    never quite been able to figure it out and I wouldn't trust my safety to it.
    Maybe its technically correct but like someone else said, "My feet don't work as well with holes in them."

BTW, if you don't like the DA for the initial shot, a very short light and easy tug on the slide will get you into SA
    or whatever it is they call their intermediate mode with the easy but long pull.

I like it for my beside precisely because I don't need to worry about thumbing the safety.

For various reasons I've been coveting a Sig 229; I'd no more think of carrying the 99c cocked than I would the 229
    for whatever perceived advantage their might be in being in SA. Just too dangerous.

Hop, buying a P229 will make a new man out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Hop, buying a P229 will make a new man out of you.
    it's like putting on a t-shirt with wolves on it. magic happens. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338261555.255469.jpg

I don't get it? If I carry one of my 1911's (Ed Brown or Kimber), I load mag and rack the slide. I engage the safety. Pull the mag and pop in another round. I know that if I disengage the safety and pull trigger it goes boom.

When I carry S&W M&P9c, same idea. I load mag, rack slide, pull mag in add another. This one does not have a safety so I know if I just pull trigger goes Boom.

I never know if I have time to rack slides, plus lose a round as well.

Am I carrying wrong?
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    mine has a 5 lbs trigger pull with pretravel like any other striker fired, just no safety on the trigger, and it doesn't leave the holster until i plan to shoot it, i just think that it would be just as easy for an M&P or glock to go off as mine. so i am confused a little by how it's more dangerous. Now if I had a hammer fired DA/SA with a very light SA trigger, then I'd carry it decocked. Mine happens to be designed to carry either way.
    Sir : A striker fired gun is NOT the same as a DA/SA , or an SAO weapon.

Without knowing which type you mean , we cannot possibly answer your poll correctly.

Example: carrying a Glock with a loaded chamber is safe.
    Carrying a Colt 1911 with a loaded chamber , hammer cocked , safety OFF - is NOT SAFE.

In the future please specify what the Hell you are talking about.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    mine has a 5 lbs trigger pull with pretravel like any other striker fired, just no safety on the trigger, and it doesn't leave the holster until i plan to shoot it, i just think that it would be just as easy for an M&P or glock to go off as mine. so i am confused a little by how it's more dangerous. Now if I had a hammer fired DA/SA with a very light SA trigger, then I'd carry it decocked. Mine happens to be designed to carry either way.
    Big difference between SA and a striker fired pistol. The firing pin is only partially cocked during the cycling on a striker fired pistol. The trigger has to then be pulled to finish the cocking then firing pin is released. On a SA pistol, if the hammer is cocked it only needs to come forward to fire the gun. The hammer coming forward doesn't mean the trigger needs to be pulled either.

When I had my Ruger KP95, I carried it in DA with Safety off. Being that DA is @ 10lbs, there is no way a ND could happen if its sitting in the holster.

If you have a good holster, no matter how you carry and how light the trigger pull is, there is no way a ND would happen without you knowing it.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    When I had my Ruger KP95, I carried it in DA with Safety off. Being that DA is @ 10lbs, there is no way a ND could happen if its sitting in the holster.

If you have a good holster, no matter how you carry and how light the trigger pull is, there is no way a ND would happen without you knowing it.
    that's a lot of absolutes. people can get
    pretty creative when it comes to negligence.

I'm just curious to see how those of you out there carry your DA/SA. I keep mine in single action, despite not having a safety on the gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links