So, who carries a 92FS?

This is a discussion on So, who carries a 92FS? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys, I was wondering who carries a 92FS (CCW)? I've owned one for a while as a range gun and I've always been happy ...

Thread: So, who carries a 92FS?

So, who carries a 92FS?

Hi Guys, I was wondering who carries a 92FS (CCW)? I've owned one for a while as a range gun and I've always been happy with how it performs (although I'm not 100% in love with the trigger).

I grew up in a family that really looked down on this pistol. The WWII vets always felt that the militarty switched to this weapon as a matter of "BS" politics or because "the girls" couldn't shoot the 1911, not because it was the best sidearm available.

Anyone want run down the pros and cons of this as a carry gun and why you chose to carry it?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Well, since you brought it up....

I have Sigs, Glocks, H&Ks, XDs, and two Beretta 92FSs that I believe are every bit as well built, functional, accurate and most of all reliable as any I mentioned.

I carried one of mine for several months and only stopped to carry something else for a while. I took my 92FS to Blackwater for a level II handgun course and we fired something near 2500 rounds in five days and the Beretta never failed.

Pros and cons:
    Pros:
    The barrel is fully exposed which makes it really easy to load a single round into the chamber if desired. Beretta is one of the few manufacturers that support this.

If you shoot to slide lock, you can insert a fresh mag and drop the slide automatically. This may be a bit contraversial, but it's fast and it just does it.

Very accurate.

Con:
    Fixed front sight - can't be removed or replaced.

Safety decocker on the slide - can't stand that.

Slightly heavy trigger pull. But that can be pretty much fixed by installing a reduced power hammer spring from Wolff Gunsprings. I did that and it makes a big difference. It is commonly done - check it out on the Beretta Forum.

It is one of the best firearms available. It got an unjustified bad rap from Iraq because of the non-Beretta mags used with them - low bidder and all that.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    My 92FS was the first hand gun I ever owned and I still have it today. I also own Sigs and Glocks, and I believe my 92FS is of the highest quality. In the 10+ years I have had it, I have put thousands of rounds through it and the only problems I have had have been due to an after market high cap mag.
    Now as far as a carry gun, I would trust my life to it EVERYDAY, but there are a few reasons I don't carry it. First, the sentimental factor, it was my first and I do not want anything to happen to it. Also, the "safety". Because I train with a Sig 226 I am not conditioned to deactivate a safety. Now if I did carry my 92FS I would do so with the safety OFF. But if I got into a situation, I just don't like worrying about IF it is on or not.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Beretta made weapons, with OEM parts and mags, have an excellent rep. I never liked the slide mounted controls, and it is a sizeable piece of gear, so I never picked one up. I have handled an older Beretta, with frame mounted controls(special contract?), that was very nice!

The only way I know to make a Glock choke is to feed it with USA or Promag mags, if that tells you anything!

VIP Member
    I used to carry either a 92F Compact or a 92F Compact Type M. Both are shorter than the full-sized 92 series.

Wonderful guns. To reduce the trigger pull, add a 92/96 "D" or 1911 mainspring. I use a 19Lbs. 1911 mainspring in my Berettas so retrofitted.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I don't carry the 92, but I do carry the Taurus .40 PT-101 built just like it. I'll admit that it is a bit heavy, but I like it, and trust my life, and more importantly my family's life, to it.

Since I am strating to get a little rounder in the middle that I used to be, I am thinking about going to a 1911 to save me a 1/4" or so, but the Taurus will always have a place on my belt. I carry it IWB by hte way.

My reason for the Taurus over the Beretta? The safety. I am used to frame mounted safties not slide. No matter how much I try, I can not get used to slide mounted safties.

Senior Moderator
    I have heard that the Beretta is a big gun, but when I compared it to a Sig 226, there was insignificant difference in length, height, and width.

Although the 226 is a large gun, you don't here it described as big in the sense the 92 is protrayed.

OK here I go again, bragging about my Beretta.

I have a 92G-SD, so it's decocker only, no safety. I had an Ernest Langdon (formerly Langdon Tactical Technology) do a Level 3 trigger job with speed bump trigger. The DA and SA pull on the trigger are beyond belief--the first shot feels like a butter-smooth revolver pull.

It was to be my IDPA gun, but now also goes with me in the winter in a CTAC. Since the G-SD has the larger Brigadier slide and a rail, the holster needed to be custom-made by Comp-Tac and they were very accomodating and did it for the price of the standard CTAC. Great folks.

This pistol brings out the best in me; there's no other I shoot as well, certainly not better. And, to think back to why I bought it some two years ago--because I have always admired the Beretta 92 as the most beautiful handgun in the world; I still see it that way and love that pistol.

If you want a classy pistol that's well engineered and built, try a Beretta 92/96.

Senior Moderator
    I have heard that the Beretta is a big gun, but when I compared it to a Sig 226, there was insignificant difference in length, height, and width.

Although the 226 is a large gun, you don't here it described as big in the sense the 92 is protrayed.
    I've got a lot of trigger time on the Berreta and used to own one. It is an exellent pistol.

The major thing for me was the way that it balances. Now that Im used to Sigs I picked one up the other day and I just did not like it...it seems to top heavy or something. So for me, its not anything other than the "feel" of it, and to be truthful I never noticed it until I started shooting other weapons extensively.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Fixed front sight - can't be removed or replaced.
    With a grinder and some silver solder, any sight can be removed and replaced

I carry a Taurus PT-99 frequently. The bulk can be hidden "good enough" with a decent IWB holster. PM KenyanScorpion if you want a tuckable IWB for a good price. The main concern there would be to go with C clips rather than J clips; the Js tend to let the holster drag your pants down regardless of how good your belt is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I have handled an older Beretta, with frame mounted controls(special contract?), that was very nice!
    The original 92 (Before the S, SB, F, FS, etc) had a frame mounted safety. It was moved to the slide to add decocking funtion to the safety lever. Taurus later found a way to do this while maintaining a frame mounted safety, but Beretta maintains the slide mounted safety on all but some special edition models such as the Steel-1.

Like SRFL I often carry a 92D Compact Type-M. Bit smaller in the grip (doesn't interefere with my beer gut as much) and being a D it has no saftey lever. I like it quite a bit and enjoy carrying it IWB.

Barrel is a bit long for OWB carry though, even on the Compact and Centurion models.
    Last edited by Garg; September 12th, 2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Poor grammar

Links