Wife could use Gel gloves for shooting?

This is a discussion on Wife could use Gel gloves for shooting? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife gets the web of her hand cut every time she shoots her 38 special S&W 642 which she loves... She has tried using ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 2 Post By Yoda

Thread: Wife could use Gel gloves for shooting?

Wife could use Gel gloves for shooting?

My wife gets the web of her hand cut every time she shoots her 38 special S&W 642 which she loves... She has tried using mole skin on the back side of the grip but still gets cuts.

Someone at the range mentioned a gel glove that is suppose to absorb recoil impact and help prevent web cuts.

Never heard of this but sounds like something that will work for her. What are others using to take care of web cuts? I doubt she wants a full glove. Just wants something that covers her shooting hand web and allows her to continue to have skin on trigger access as well...

I did try search but came up with all sorts of threads not even related to what I am looking for...

thanks...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

2. Remove Ads

A glove will work or try a different grip but it sounds like she is not gripping the gun hard enough and its moving in the hand instead of the hand and arm absorbing the recoil. Get her a grip exerciser to strengthen up her grip

untitled.png
    Hopyard likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Bicycle gloves will work. Can pick up a pair anywhere bicycles are sold.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

To make a cut there must be a sharp edge unless the "cut" is actually a blister. Smooth down any sharp edges to eliminate cuts, toughen the skin to eliminate blisters.

If you could post a photograph showing the grip and the cut we might be able to analyze the cause.
    accessbob and Hopyard like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

My mom had a similar issue when she got her airweight - against my objections. I thought she ought to go with something heavier for her first handgun.

We tried a pair of my bike gloves, and they helped but a few times the fabric on the half fingers would get stuck behind the trigger and prevent the hammer fall. If you're going to try them, I'd recommend full-fingered ones they make for mountain biking.

She didn't like shooting with gloves anyhow and ended up solving it with grip, regular practice, callouses, and sheer determination. The last factor was the winner. She's more determined than me, and she should be since this is her EDC. I want to put it away before I finish a single box of ammo, but she put 300-ish rounds she through it in a clinic a couple weeks ago and came home with blisters on her palm, raw webbing between her thumb and forefinger, and a big smile! One tough lady who didn't really start shooting till her 50s (I'm not saying how much of a good bit ago that was because she's not only armed, but has one hell of a backhand if I remember correctly from my teenage years).

Distinguished Member

I have a S&W 638 (similar to hers) and I can't see how the actual gun would be cutting her. I really can't see how that is possible. I would think it would have to be a rub/blister from not gripping the gun properly.

Let her try these (for $8):

Walmart.com: Ventura Gel Bike Gloves, Medium: Bikes & Riding Toys

If they work out well for her, then get some better ones when these wear out.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Links