Could use your help with a EDC decision...

This is a discussion on Could use your help with a EDC decision... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just registered. I currently have a CCW permit and carry a Stainless Walther PPK in .380ACP. I'm wanting to buy another gun for CC ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By Inspector71
  • 1 Post By gobbly

Thread: Could use your help with a EDC decision...

I've just registered. I currently have a CCW permit and carry a Stainless Walther PPK in .380ACP. I'm wanting to buy another gun for CC so I can switch them up occasionally. Currently looking at the following options:

1. Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm with 9 round mags (27 oz.)
    2. Springfield Armory Micro Compact in .45ACP with 6 round mags (26 oz)
    3. Springfield Armory Ultra Compact in .45ACP with 6 round mags and Stainless Steel (33 oz.)

First choice would be #3, although I'm not crazy about the extra 6 ounces. Maybe it wouldn't be that noticeable. ???
    Second choice would be #2.
    Third choice is now #1, although I actually started out looking at the EMP only. I'm torn between the .45 and 9mm. Both have advadvantages and disadvantages.

I would love your comments. If you've had either of these, or another option, give me your input. There are no wrong answers. I'm hoping to learn from all of you.

Thanks.

Michael

If you're bound and determined to stick to the 1911 platform; may as well go .45

I carry 9mm personally for the additional rounds, but to each his own.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

get a glock G23 in a .40 cal it has fire power and a higher cap.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    All your choices are too big in my opinion.

I carry a S&W Shield FWIW.

All your choices are too small in my opinion.

A Colt Commander size .45 with appropriate holster would suit.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    All your choices are not Glocks or M&Ps, so I can be of no assistance.
    vista461 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

You want easily concealed, dependable, accurate, fairly priced (whatever that means), and .45 ACP holes?
    Glock-36...just grab ahold of one...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You want easily concealed, dependable, accurate, fairly priced (whatever that means), and .45 ACP holes?
    Glock-36...just grab ahold of one...
    I have to give you credit ret, your nothing if not consistent in your recommendations. Glock 36 and fist holsters all the way! :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

For what its worth, I carry a 3.5" Para Hawg in 45 ACP nearly all the time. I get 7+1. No idea what it weighs.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

VIP Member
    I chose to ignore good advice regarding micro 1911's, and had to learn on my own the reasons why I don't care for them.

If you're set on 1911, I wouldn't go shorter than commander length.

If you're set on small frame .45/9m, I'd recommend Glock or S&W. The G30 will give you 10+1 of 45 ACP, in one of the most compact, reliable and accurate platforms in that class.
    EMSeight and bmcgilvray like this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Have you ever shot any of those? Of bigger concern to me would be which one I could shoot well, not the weight or other cosmetic stuff. Never know, may come in handy if you actually need to take it out of it's holster and shoot it someday.
    WHEC724 and bmcgilvray like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    from your list Springfield Armory Ultra Compact in .45ACP
    nice to have the 380 and a 45.

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
    I've just registered. I currently have a CCW permit and carry a Stainless Walther PPK in .380ACP. I'm wanting to buy another gun for CC so I can switch them up occasionally. Currently looking at the following options:

1. Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm with 9 round mags (27 oz.)
    2. Springfield Armory Micro Compact in .45ACP with 6 round mags (26 oz)
    3. Springfield Armory Ultra Compact in .45ACP with 6 round mags and Stainless Steel (33 oz.)

First choice would be #3, although I'm not crazy about the extra 6 ounces. Maybe it wouldn't be that noticeable. ???
    Second choice would be #2.
    Third choice is now #1, although I actually started out looking at the EMP only. I'm torn between the .45 and 9mm. Both have advadvantages and disadvantages.

I would love your comments. If you've had either of these, or another option, give me your input. There are no wrong answers. I'm hoping to learn from all of you.

Thanks.

Michael
    Your first two choices are six or seven ounces heavier than the Walther you are currently carrying. The third choice is thirteen ounces heavier plus the ammo in the magazines will weigh more than the .380 rounds. So, yes, you will probably notice a difference. It would be good if you could find a range that rents your three choices so you could give them a test run and try them on for size. I've got a PPK/S myself (S&W version). I don't carry it much because the "improved" beavertail digs into my ribs when I'm sitting.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I've never cared about weight. Carrying IWB, it just isn't an issue, the weight is being carried by your hips, and your hips can easily carry the weight of any firearm you might put on them (barring some sort of physical disability). Length never mattered to me much either, the barrel is inside my pants, as long as I can sit without it going past by rear-end it will work for carrying. What has mattered to me quite a bit when carrying is how wide the firearm is. A full size 1911 is much easier for me to conceal, and much more comfortable than a compact with a double stack mag. Also, more important to me than the firearm itself (in carry-ability at least) is what holster I can get for it, as the holster, imo, is the most influential variable in whether I can comfortably CC a firearm.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I bought an EMP when they first came out. I had so many problems with that thing. I sent it so SA twice (free) and they returned it. Just kept giving me problems. I ended up trading for a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry in .45. Have yet to have a problem.

I later bought another 9 for those light days. A M&P 9c.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Links