SHORT BARREL .38s for LCR?

This is a discussion on SHORT BARREL .38s for LCR? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just became aware (duh!) of the above and wonder what the upgrade(?) would be over 'regular" .38s, if any? One guy at my LGS said ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Stubborn
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 2 Post By Hoganbeg
  • 1 Post By Lone_Gunman
  • 2 Post By Haywood

Thread: SHORT BARREL .38s for LCR?

SHORT BARREL .38s for LCR?

Just became aware (duh!) of the above and wonder what the upgrade(?) would be over 'regular" .38s, if any? One guy at my LGS said you would gain approx. 25-50 ft./sec and that it didn't seem worth it to him. What do you think? And thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    The Gold Dots claim they are engineered for short barrels. To guarantee maximum expansion.
    They are what I carry in my snubby.
    Here's a link with some more info...

SPEER LE 135gr + P 38 Special GDHP at G and R Tactical
    oneshot likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

According to Speer they use a slightly different powder charge in the short barrel ammunition to promote a more complete burn. The Gold Dot 135gr+P is a good round.

^^^and at 32 bucks for a box of 50, not a bad price either for a premium SD round. IMO
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hit 'em with a heavier bullet that still yields really good velocities. Use +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollow points.

One has to ask: why is it necessary to utilize propellents that promote a complete "burn" in short barrels? It sure isn't to gain some velocity performance for slower burning powders that don't "burn" completely in short barrels will still return higher velocities than fast burning powders. They accomplish this despite their inefficiency in short barrels.

Manufacturer claims about special short-barrel loadings sound hokey.
    Philly Boy and Secret Spuk like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I believe a more important issue is to reduce the amount of flash, or powder that burns outside the barrel, so as to reduce blinding yourself. Faster burning rates and powder coatings help achieve this. It seems though that in a revolver you'd still have some flash from the cylinder-barrel gap.

The Gold Dot round has been tested to the FBI protocol: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

"More information from Doctor Roberts: 'With few exceptions, such as the Speer 135 gr +P JHP and Barnes XPB, the vast majority of .38 Sp JHP's fail to expand when fired from 2" barrels in the 4 layer denim test. [...] There is no reason to go with .357 mag in a J-frame, as the significantly larger muzzle blast and flash, and harsher recoil of the .357 Magnum does not result in substantially improved terminal performance compared to the more controllable .38 Special bullets when fired from 2” barrels.' "
    sgb and minimalbrat like this.

I use Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP for SB in my S & W 642. It didn't say Law Enforcement on the box, but all other criteria match. I didn't pay that much. I paid right at $1 each for a box of 20 rounds.

I've used the Speer Gold Dots for short barrels in 9mm. There is a noticeable lack of muzzle flash. I think this would be advantageous in a low light situation.
    minimalbrat likes this.

I just recently acquired an LCR .357mag. In the near future, I plan to load up some downloaded .357 loads that approximate 9mm energy levels. From looking at Speer's data on their .357 short barrel loading, they are running a 135gr Gold Dot at 990fps. I plan on trying Titegroup for powder, as it is a fast burning powder that would be better suited for short barrels. I will shoot for around 1100fps with a 125gr hollow point. That is pretty much what most standard pressure 9mm 124gr loads run for speed. Titegroup also doesn't seem too position sensitive in large volume cases like .357mag and .45acp. Speeds across the chronograph in various calibers have very little deviation. I will try some Gold Dots and Golden Sabers for projectiles.

A long time ago when I was working up a load for my old S&W 642 airweight, I tried some Universal Clays powder, which is a medium burn rate powder. I noticed quite a few unburnt powder flakes on top of my chronograph while shooting it out of the short barrel of the 642. Speeds were noted to vary quite a bit, too.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I believe a more important issue is to reduce the amount of flash, or powder that burns outside the barrel, so as to reduce blinding yourself. Faster burning rates and powder coatings help achieve this. It seems though that in a revolver you'd still have some flash from the cylinder-barrel gap.

The Gold Dot round has been tested to the FBI protocol: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

"More information from Doctor Roberts: 'With few exceptions, such as the Speer 135 gr +P JHP and Barnes XPB, the vast majority of .38 Sp JHP's fail to expand when fired from 2" barrels in the 4 layer denim test. [...] There is no reason to go with .357 mag in a J-frame, as the significantly larger muzzle blast and flash, and harsher recoil of the .357 Magnum does not result in substantially improved terminal performance compared to the more controllable .38 Special bullets when fired from 2” barrels.' "
    ................. Amen
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Speer 135g. Gold Dot JHP+P was developed for the NYPD. They were so pleased with the results out of long and short barrels that other major PDs have authorized it for their Officers who carry Snub Revolvers for off duty and back up. It also passed the FBI required penetration and expansion test. What more could you ask for?
    crue2009 and Philly Boy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    I use Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP for SB in my S & W 642. It didn't say Law Enforcement on the box, but all other criteria match. I didn't pay that much. I paid right at $1 each for a box of 20 rounds.
    That was a box of 50 rounds for $32.00...by my public school education, that works out to 64 cents per round.

SPEER LE 135gr + P 38 Special GDHP at G and R Tactical
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Links