45 g.a.p.

This is a discussion on 45 g.a.p. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at getting a subcompact glock. At first I was thinking glock 40SW and get the g26 barrel for 9mm also. Now I have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 45 g.a.p.

45 g.a.p.

Looking at getting a subcompact glock. At first I was thinking glock 40SW and get the g26 barrel for 9mm also. Now I have been pondering a subcompact glock 45 gap and wondering if theres a 9 mm barrel available for it also or even a 357 sig barrel...? Any ideas or thoughts to help on this weapon decision. I think I'll like the big bore 45 in a smaller frame in subcompact. I'm an experienced shooter so thoughts of recoil is no problem for me.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

2. Remove Ads

Since the 45GAPs are the same frame size the barrel swap might be possible....not sure if you would need a complete upper though.

Just me but I stick to calipers that I can get at common places. Remember odd sizes tend to be more expensive

VIP Member
    My outlook on the 45 GAP is that it is an answer to a question no one cared about. From what I've seen when you can find the ammo , it is expensive. Unless your planning to reload it yourself I think the cost outweighs any benefit.
    Kilowatt3 and kmagnuss like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

personally, this is a better option if you wanna punch really, really big holes from a minimal, easy to carry package. I just think of it as a polymer, tennifer finished "Officer's Model".

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I knew someone who carried a .45 g.a.p everyday (they were an armored car driver); they HATED it! The ammo is expensive, and he had problems with the bullets unseating from the casing sometimes (according to him)... just food for thought.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I think Jeff Cooper might describe this calibre, the same way he described DA/ Auto Pistols, a perfect solution, to a non existent problem.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    45gap, the "new Coke" of ammo.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    my bud has that glock and same response as other's ammo is high price and hard to find...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Comparative pricing ACP vs. GAP

Out of curiosity I just went to the Natchez Shooter's Supply website and looked at availability and pricing on 230 grain 45ACP and 230 grain 45GAP ammo, in 50 round boxes of ball practice ammo. The 45ACP tended to be in the $16 to $20 price range, while the 45GAP was in the $23 to $29 price range. So the 45GAP is almost 50% more expensive. And the number of brands available was far greater in ACP than GAP.

For a caliber that performs the same as 45ACP, it seems very strange to be paying that much more for practice ammo. I know the GAP is slightly shorter in length so that the gun's grip can be slightly smaller, but that is only of benefit for a shooter with small hands. Personally I would stick with 45ACP.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have never, ever, seen GAP ammo for sale in any gun store.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    +1 to that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    +1 to that.
    Oh, I've seen it from time to time - You just have to look down in the back corner of the bottom shelf, under the dustbunnies. Why buy an oddball caliber?

Regards,
    Jim

45 gap = expensive to shoot a glock 30sf would be a better option imo
    Glock 23 Gen3-- Mepro Light Tru Glo night sights-Polished Internals-3.5 lb connector-6 lb trigger return spring Extended slide release lever-Stainless steel guide rod-Pierce grip plug
    Glock 26 gen3--
    Pierce +2 mag extension w/ finger groove

The GAP ammo is on the shelf next to the .41AE, the 9mm Federal, and the .327Mag.

I get the OP's idea, but realistically it would make more sense to get a 27, fill it with heavy JHP, and use a 26 barrel for a conversion. Much more efficient, cost effective option.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links