Mk23 vs FN FiveSeven

This is a discussion on Mk23 vs FN FiveSeven within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys, this is part two. I had to decide between a Deagle and FN for a 'fun gun' well, it seems like I could ...

View Poll Results: Which Pistol

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • H&K Mk23

18 60.00%
  • FN Five-seveN

12 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk23 vs FN FiveSeven

Mk23 vs FN FiveSeven

Ok guys, this is part two. I had to decide between a Deagle and FN for a 'fun gun'

well, it seems like I could get really wild and get TWO guns

so I'm thinking if the second gun should be a Mark 23 by HK or a FiveSeven.

These are both tactical guns, except one is huge, and one is small high cap.

What do you guys think?

I thought about getting one big gun and that was AR50. after talking with the lady, we decided I just will barely be able to shoot such a thing. we are limited in ranges here...

so what do you guys think?

She also mentioned a Sig 1911 (the tacpack maybe) I wouldn't mind upgrading my Taurus 1911, but I don't see why. I'm very happy with it.

2. Remove Ads

God I wish I had your problems

I voted for the Mark 23. I'd take the .45 ACP pistol every time over the 5.7.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    God I wish I had your problems
    LOL... these problems excite me. let me not bore you with non handgun problems :)

These things give me a way out of my normal life.

ANYWAYS ;)

I know comparing these 2 guns is apples to oranges. but they are both pistols that many don't own, and when bought, they aren't really practical, but unique to own (maybe not as unique as some others, but enough that I don't know anyone that owns them)

I have a feeling this will turn into a caliber argument and wish it wouldn't. I'm not here for that. I'm a 9mm guy honestly. I don't like the low capacity of .45 so that's a whole another story.

20 rounds standard, 30 rounds extended, light weight, low recoil, and ammo from elite that performs as well as the other service calibers. What's not to love? I'm a big fan of my Fiveseven.

RKM
    I personally don't see the attraction o the 5.7 round. They're small and fast and the only major benefit is armor piercing capabilities in a pistol sized firearm.

I'd take the Mk23.

Stick to readily available ammo.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm a huge Hk fanboy, but the Mk23 isn't one I own. I'd love one though, just because it is so magnificent, so well made, so... competent. This is a gun that is match grade accurate, so reliable and robust. Nothing not to love here, except the price, but compared to many high end 1911s, the MK 23 is a bargan.

I do own a 5.7 and it's a blast to shoot. Ammo is very easy to obtain. Like the MK23, there's an element of uniqueness to the FN. If you want a gun your lady will enjoy with you, then the FN may be the better choice, due to size and recoil. The FN is nothing but fun and enjoyment. It's also of high quality and quite accurate.

Good luck with whichever you select.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I personally don't see the attraction o the 5.7 round. They're small and fast and the only major benefit is armor piercing capabilities in a pistol sized firearm.

I'd take the Mk23.
    Not getting it for the ammo. I'm not a fan of .45 either. it's a large slow moving round that doesn't have enough capacity in a mag. I like 9mm

I want the weapons for the uniqueness...

I know the Mk23 is way more unique, but I'm not sure if it's enough to justify the price difference. 1800 vs 1100

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I'm a huge Hk fanboy, but the Mk23 isn't one I own. I'd love one though, just because it is so magnificent, so well made, so... competent. This is a gun that is match grade accurate, so reliable and robust. Nothing not to love here, except the price, but compared to many high end 1911s, the MK 23 is a bargan.

I do own a 5.7 and it's a blast to shoot. Ammo is very easy to obtain. Like the MK23, there's an element of uniqueness to the FN. If you want a gun your lady will enjoy with you, then the FN may be the better choice, due to size and recoil. The FN is nothing but fun and enjoyment. It's also of high quality and quite accurate.

Good luck with whichever you select.
    thanks ripley great response. as funny as it is, she wants a fricking sig 1911 instead.

I think I'm gonna get the MK23

found one with 150 rounds for 1800 bucks! the guy bought t new, shot it and probably lookng for something else!

if i decide to change in the future, the mk23 will surely hold it's value and I can (downgrade?) to the FN 5.7 and still have money left over!

I can bring it out to competitions and at least shoot somewhat affordable ammo for fun sometimes. LOL

now the desert eagle... not so much. there is no way I can afford 200 rounds of .50ae per compeittion. .45 is doable.

and i'm sure they make holsters for Mk23, but not the deagle for carry rigs. lol...

Still want the FN. maybe I get some funds together and get one too. then I will pretty much have all the pistols I want.

You can buy one used for as little as 1300, new? In that 1500 to 1800 range. Definately worth it. Mine is incredible--surgically accurate, maneuverable, soft shooting, and just a joy to shoot. Fits my hand like a glove, not as big as you think.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    You can buy one used for as little as 1300, new? In that 1500 to 1800 range. Definately worth it. Mine is incredible--surgically accurate, maneuverable, soft shooting, and just a joy to shoot. Fits my hand like a glove, not as big as you think.
    Picking one up locally from a member on another forum for 1800. 150 rounds through it. he just got it, had to sell for a medical reason, so I offered to take it.

I'm pretty happy. i'm sad if i can find one for 1300, but at least I helped a local firefighter out for medical bill, and got a almost new 2010 model mk23

I'm also getting a .50AE Desert Eagle, so now I will have 2 HUGE guns :D

some ppl complained about size, but the grip is same size as USP which fit my large hands real well. should fit like a glove. I heard it's hard to pull the trigger from double action because of large grip, butt....?

only the desert eagle was too big for my hands.

Must say I'm still itching for a 5.7, but I think that will be put on hold for now. lol

I have shot both. The MK23 is a like the SPAS12. Unique and somewhat rare. But big, heavy, and doesn't do the job better than the other options out there. MK23 is way to big for my med to large hands. Did not balance or feel really good. The case was neat looking but looks kinda of dated with the old woodland camo. Honestly the only real neat thing was the threaded barrel and the fact that it was a military gun.
    Now the 5.7 feels better. The checkered grip feels really sharp. Shoots pretty nice. But what is it good for. Kind of like the Taurus Judge. FN has adds marketing it to women. Ladies home companion. If the low recoil appeals to you, buy a high end 22 lr. The only reason it is a blip on the radar is the media has touted it as a cop killer. The ammo is not going to be very available or inexpensive. If you are attacked by guys wearing bulletproof vests it would certainly be better than nothing. That is if you can find some over priced armor piercing ammo that was once sold to civilians. Other than that it is a expensive 22 magnum.
    I would say get rid of your Taurus 1911 and spend your money on a higher end 1911.

VIP Member
    Voted for the FN because you keep talking about it.
    H&K makes a fine product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links