Question about bersa .380's

This is a discussion on Question about bersa .380's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well i got to shoot my dad's brand new bersa thunder .380 and i was really impressed with accuracy and fit for such and inexpensive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about bersa .380's

Question about bersa .380's

well i got to shoot my dad's brand new bersa thunder .380 and i was really impressed with accuracy and fit for such and inexpensive pistol, but one thing really bothers me about this gun, the safety. Unless you have the tiniest of hands i don't see how you could manipulate the safety with any amount of speed. i personally can't do it with one hand. This is mainly due to the fact that the safety is so stiff, it takes alot of force to move it. are all bersa's like this, does it get easier with use? or is this just a random occurance? i really wanted to get one of these for myself and i reccomended one to my girlfriend for self defense but it would simply be too slow to get it off safety and into action.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

2. Remove Ads

Mine's safety got a bit easier with use. With that said, if I carry it, I carry it with the safety off, so I don't worry about having to flick it off if I have to use it.

the little Bersa is a very underrated pistol. My wife bought herself one a couple of years ago, it shoots great and conceals well.

And yes the safety was stiff at first.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

JD
    Administrator
    I bought one for my wife but sometimes use it as my church gun.
    It gets easier as it's broken in. I don't have any issues. I don't know how your manuvering the safety, instead of using the tip of the thumb to push up or down, just cock your thumb back like the hitch hiker thumb but bent and puch forward, I don't know how big your hands are but it works for me.

Photo 64.jpg

Photo 65.jpg

Photo 63.jpg

my hands arent what I'd call huge but they are decent size, just play with it for a bit and your dexterity should improve.

When I do carry it, I carry it just like my SIG. Load the round, use the decocker/safety to decock it, then safety off with a long double action first shot. No worries. I hate carry guns with external safeties, that's why I carry a Kahr MK9 Elite, S&W 642, SIG P229 or Glock 23. The Bersa is a back up for me, but I do love it so. :)

jdlv4...

glad to hear you talk of a 'church gun'...I was starting to think I was the only one who thought about that...usually something smaller????
    Kimber .45 usually...KelTec .380 for church?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I have had two Bersa .380s. My wife's has a very stiff safety/decocker. The one I carried for a while had a safety that moved like it was going through butter. I sold mine.

The safety problem is a known problem and will be corrected under warranty if you send the slide to one of the repair centers. The repair centers are listed on the Bersa site.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/main_warranty.php
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

JD
    Administrator
    Yep, now that I'm a full fledged memeber of the Kimber club I'll be carrying my Compact CDP most of the time but sometimes you just need something a little smaller and why buy a BUG just for me when I can carry the wifes .380 that she doesn't carry any more since her Kimber ultra is back in fine working order. I had a Kahr PM40 but the total lack of external safties turned me off of pocket carry.

I like the Bersa for it's slimness and enchanced features over almost every other .380 including Walthers and the Sig 232.

I like the slide stop, and I like the mag release not being on the heel.

All fo all I'd say it's the best .380 out there. Heck you can get a brand new slide for $50.00

Assistant Administrator
    Wife has my Bersa and bought step daughter one for her 21st, to go with her now CCW permit.

Great lil guns for sure and I too only use the decocker action (stiff tho that can be) - leaving safety off - I try to get my wife to do same and so it is really just a DA/SA decocker and as such very safe carry, safety off.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

so basically if we decide to purchase these guns then we will either have to send them in for warranty work or just carry them with safeties off? well if we did carry them with safeties off would it be better to give the half cock on the hammer(its not really half cock but it moves the hammer off of the firing pin) or does the decocker make this pointless?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Assistant Administrator
    would it be better to give the half cock on the hammer(its not really half cock but it moves the hammer off of the firing pin) or does the decocker make this pointless?
    Yes - no point. IMO not a good idea anyways.

The decocking leaves the hammer blocked in effect and so very safe. It is not so very different from the way the SIG 226 works (and 228 and 220).

Some folks reckon the safety does get eased thru repeated use but I cannot testify to that as apart from decocking, mine and others are carried safety off. No problem IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I just bought one myself two weeks ago. Mine eased up after play with it around the house. Of course unloaded!.

i might have to get me one as my back up since my wife stole my kahr cw9 when i bought my xd9! women! she has three guns and has to take mine now =o( im down to 2!....lol

Here is mine with some Honduran Rosewood Grips I had made. It is a great gun, especially for the price. I bought it expecting to want a sig after a while but it hasn't given me any reason not to like it. You can tell it is a less expensive gun but there is nothing bad about it.

How to fix the safety

My wife's bersa .380 had the same stiff safety problem. I fixed it for her this past weekend and she loves how easy it is to move now. I found this writeup at the bersa talk forum and did it this way. The one thing I did different that the writeup doesn't say is when you sand the hole go toward the other hole, one way. The stop is just a ball that goes in the hole. They make the hole too deep. So what you are doing is taking off a little of the edge so the ball comes out of the hole easier.

"Ok, here is what you do.

Take your gun down like your cleaning it.

On the top slide you can actually take the saftey, out of the gun by sliding it out sideways. You will have to work it between the safe and fire position to get it all the way out. You must be careful when you do this because there is a pin and spring that will come out, so my suggestion is to do it over a towel or something with the receiver pointed down so it will fall into the towel

This will also allow the fireing pin to be removed, inspected, cleaned, ect.

After you get the safety lever out you will notice that there are two holes in it that fit into a pointed piece built into the receiver. These two holes keep it in the safe or fire position. You will then notice that these holes have very sharp machine edges on them. Take a piece of very fine 300 to 400 grit sand paper and rub it over the holes to smooth this sharp edge down. Don't ruin the safety lever.

You can put the safety lever back into the receiver without putting the firing pin etc, back in to check the progress from time to time. It doesn't take much to smooth this edge out.

After you get a feel your comfortable with, you can reassemble the fireing pin, fireing pin retainer, (that is the pin and spring that comes out when you pull the safety lever out) and the safety lever.

After this, I can simply grab my pistol and with a swipe of the thumb release the weapon from the safety position. No wear and tear on the thumb and no stuck safety.

It now works about as easy as my 1911 safety, very slick.

Try it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links