Nevada Heat/Car firearm safety

This is a discussion on Nevada Heat/Car firearm safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it safe to leave a loaded firearm in a car(hidden from view of course) in the Summer Heat of Nevada...any chance of fire/explosion, etc.?...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 43hertz
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Nevada Heat/Car firearm safety

Question Nevada Heat/Car firearm safety

Is it safe to leave a loaded firearm in a car(hidden from view of course) in the Summer Heat of Nevada...any chance of fire/explosion, etc.?

2. Remove Ads

Don't worry about it. I'm not sure just how hot it COULD get inside a car, but it will never be enough to set off ammunition. I would think 150 degrees is possible with the right conditions but that won't hurt a firearm or ammo.

not in a million years would it set off a round in a gun. Mythbusters did one on this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    The metal on the gun would get hot enough to burn you though. Hard to out on a gun that gets that hot.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I would not believe the metal will get that hot if it's not exposed to the sunlight. Years ago I carried my SLR camera through Phoenix, and we all know you can't touch the steering wheel in the Phoenix heat. The camera was always kept in the floor of the back seat and covered so to be out of the sun when I was not using it and left it in the car. Maybe a little warm but that's about it so a pistol should be no different.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Quote Originally Posted by JaySkiBum View Post
    Don't worry about it. I'm not sure just how hot it COULD get inside a car, but it will never be enough to set off ammunition. I would think 150 degrees is possible with the right conditions but that won't hurt a firearm or ammo.

Thanks for quick answer...150 degrees in Sun in car IS possible...LOL;however, glad my wife's concerns are unfounded...and now satisfied;)

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danwdooley View Post
    I would not believe the metal will get that hot if it's not exposed to the sunlight. Years ago I carried my SLR camera through Phoenix, and we all know you can't touch the steering wheel in the Phoenix heat. The camera was always kept in the floor of the back seat and covered so to be out of the sun when I was not using it and left it in the car. Maybe a little warm but that's about it so a pistol should be no different.
    I have gotten burned from my P238 after reholstering in Ohio. Gun left in glove compartment while at work. Now I wear wife beater under shirts.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Lots of ordinance sitting in trucks out in the sun in Iraq, not a problem.
    Superhouse 15 and tclance like this.

VIP Member
    Perfectly safe to do. The only problem you might encounter, and then only once, is if you try to slip it IWB under your shirt before letting it cool down. Every time you look at the burn mark left it will remind you!
    ericb327 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Keep it out of the sun... I live in Utah, so not quite as hot, but it can get close. Keep it out of direct sunlight and you shouldn't have a problem. I say this not because I think direct sunlight will cause it to fire, but it certainly would make it hard to hold, and if the sun can see it, so can the guy looking for cars to break into.

Links