Keep 'em all on one platform? - Page 2

Keep 'em all on one platform?

This is a discussion on Keep 'em all on one platform? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you stick with only brunettes and ignore the blonds and redheads? Life is too short to restrict yourself needlessly. A 1911 and an M&P ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Keep 'em all on one platform?

Distinguished Member
    Would you stick with only brunettes and ignore the blonds and redheads? Life is too short to restrict yourself needlessly. A 1911 and an M&P will coexist peacefully in the safe, no worries. What about snubbies? Gotta have a couple of them as well. No, it's a limiting vision I'm afraid. Go shopping, have fun.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Would you stick with only brunettes and ignore the blonds and redheads?
    Well, peaceful coexistence of weapons in a safe isn't really the issue. Of course, it's about competency under stress. It's not as though knowing only the "manual of arms" for brunettes would mean one would fumble redheads in stressful situations. (Hmm. Then again ...)

Seriously though, if you're training frequently and are competent under fire with the various types of actions/safeties, there shouldn't be any reason to exclude a given firearm from your defensive tools. What works for the "little" man might well not work satisfactorily for the ... you get the picture. That being said, if it turns out you both like and shoot well with a given firearm, a pair of them might well be a blessing. Depends on what you both prefer and end up competently and accurately being able to use.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have different platform's, but my CCW is a 4 inch or a 5 inch government model 1911 .45acp both all steel. I stick to one platform for my CCW when I'm concealing. If I get up in the middle of the night to take the puppy out I will grab the S&W 642 snubby and pocket it. I can't carry at work but I keep my Beretta PX4 storm sc for the trip to work and back already on fire. My thumb is to short to push the safety all the way up to fire.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

One platform is a smart choice. You have the same Trigger, Sight Picture, Magazines, Handling, Controls, Holsters. Full size for home defense and competition. Compact for daily carry. That being said I don't limit my carry gun options. I still use a j frame or LCP depending on what you wear. But a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 combo are hard to beat. Lower cost practice ammo and easy recoil. The M&P's feel good also.

I have TWO Colt 1911's in 45ACP and TWO Glock 9mm's so you can see I like commonality. That being said,maybe pick(using Glock as an example,but Smith's M&P line allows the same thing)ONE Full-size(G17)and TWO Sub-Compacts(G26) and that should give you plenty of flexibility. I could also argue for TWO Compacts(G19,best 9mm platform IMHO!!)and ONE Sub-Compact(G26). Do YOUR homework, and I'm sure you'll make a good call. Best of luck with it!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

IMHO guns being the same platform would be that either all your guns are "Striker Fired" like Glocks,SA XD,M&P series.Or DA/SA like Sigs and S&W 59/69 type platforms.Or SA only like 1911's that are carried cocked and locked and need a safety taken off to fire.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Keeping the same platform for mag and holster compatibility is nice - if you can do it, and IF those guns meet your needs.

For me, I carry only guns that are DAO, with no external safeties. The mag release buttons are in the same place. I use the overhand or slingshot method of racking the slide, so the location and ease (or not) of using the slide release button is not a concern for me.

All my carry guns wear Crimson Trace lasers - just grip normally and the laser is on. Simple.

An even bigger issue is trying to carry on the same location on your body as much as possible. You don't want to reach into your pocket - only to remember you're carrying on your belt today...wooops.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks for all the replies so far.

To elaborate a bit, "what I shoot best" is a relative term here, as the top three or four guns are all very, very close in my hands. I'm sure I could, with practice, become equally proficient with just about any of them.

In terms of feel and the overall aesthetic experience, the PPQ was my favorite. It was followed very closely by the M&P 9c and G19. Of course, the easy-to-shoot M&P 9 Pro 5" was good for my ego, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well I shot the G26. THe Shield is fantastic and my guess is I'll probably own one eventually no matter what I decide. My least favorite was the G17; however, the gun I shot was a Gen 3 and I didn't care for where my fingers hit the grooves. I'm pretty sure the Gen 4 G17 will be more to my liking.

I'd have no problem getting two smaller guns (my wife likes the Shield best then the G26) and something bigger for HD, the range and woods. Two Shields and a M&P 9fs or perhaps a Shield, 9c and 9 Pro or maybe even two G26s and a G19 or G17 would all be fine by me. If I go different platforms, it'll most likely be a PPQ, Shield and G26.

These suggestions here are helping me sort through it. Keep 'em coming.....they're greatly appreciated.

A single platform, same mfg., makes sense. Same triggers, sights, controls, is a good thing. When I shot USPSA single stack, I carried a single stack. I've competed with a Glock 34 now roughly 2 years and carry a 19. Can I pick up a 1911 and shoot it? Sure, but I'd feel more comfortable with the gun I've spent hours dry firing and shooting. Picking up an m-p, xd, even though similar because they lack a manual safety and are striker fired; feel, point and break, totally different from a glock for me.

On the other hand, I pocket carry a kahr and let my wife do her own thing. If she wants my suggestion, she gets it. Everyone's situation is different and there are always several right answers IMO. Don't forget to have some fun along the way. If that means branching out, so be it.

Staying with the same platform is not a bad idea but you should purchase the guns that fit/feel best for you and your wife.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I have TWO Colt 1911's in 45ACP and TWO Glock 9mm's so you can see I like commonality. That being said,maybe pick(using Glock as an example,but Smith's M&P line allows the same thing)ONE Full-size(G17)and TWO Sub-Compacts(G26) and that should give you plenty of flexibility. I could also argue for TWO Compacts(G19,best 9mm platform IMHO!!)and ONE Sub-Compact(G26). Do YOUR homework, and I'm sure you'll make a good call. Best of luck with it!
    Went back to LGS today to do some more research. I have decided to eliminate the G17 and M&P Pro 5" from consideration.

After reading this thread, the thought of keeping it simple and having both tactical versatility as well as general purpose capabilities for what will end up being a rather small collection of pistols seems to make the most sense to me. So, I've decided my HD/range/woods gun will be more of a mid size 9mm which could also work for CC if it ever became necessary. Living in very northern latitudes also allows some flexibility there as we wear jackets literally 9-10 months of the year. My "big gun" will be either a G19, M&P 9 4.25" or Walther PPQ. My EDC will be either a G26, M&P 9c or M&P Shield. I'm also going to try and get my hands on an HK P2000 SK before making my final decision.

The wife will get whatever she likes best after she gets her private lesson and will have no bearing on my personal decisions.

I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do about keeping them all the same or not. I suppose if I end up liking the PPQ way more than the
    e other mid size guns and the G26 more than the other compacts, that's probably what I'll get. But if the G19 is close in that scenario, I may just go with it so i have two Glocks (or M&Ps if it ends up that way) to make things easier on me.

I just picked up the sheild and love it go with the m&p's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links