Keep 'em all on one platform?

This is a discussion on Keep 'em all on one platform? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new here but like the advice given. Seems more unbiased than that given on the manufacturers' forums. Anyway, I plan on buying two or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Keep 'em all on one platform?

Keep 'em all on one platform?

I'm new here but like the advice given. Seems more unbiased than that given on the manufacturers' forums.

Anyway, I plan on buying two or three polymer pistols over.the next few months and am hoping you all can advise me on something I cant seem to wrap my arms around.

I have a lot of experience with long guns and revolvers, but these will be my fist semi-auto pistols. I've done my homework, figured out what I want and like and have rented the guns and put 150 - 200 rounds through each. For myself, I plan on getting a 9mm for CCW and a 9mm for home defense/range/fun. I will also be getting the wife a CCW 9mm.

I've shot and like the M&P in 9 Pro 5", 9fs, 9c and 9Shield. I've also shot and like the G26, G19 and G17. My favorite, however, and the one I shoot best (barely, though) is the PPQ.

The dudes down at the LGS say I should stick to one platform for ease of training. And, of course, any Glock or M&P fanbois you talk to tell me the same thing. I'm certain I would be happy with three M&Ps or three Glocks. I just can't seem to shake the fact the PPQ feels so good in my hand and I point it so naturally, though.

Would a.guy be making a mistake by getting the little woman a Shield and himself a.G26 and PPQ? Would I be better of with a Shield, 9c and 9 Pro 5"? Or perhaps two G26s and a G17? Can I learn different platforms effectively? I mean, I see all the time the gun lists of folks who own many different platforms.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Get what you shoot best and let the wife get what she shoots best. The idea of having the same platform is nice. But in the end, it's where the rounds go that counts. Just give them all a fair chance. I love my Glocks and have them in several calibers. But I recently shot an M&P 9. I hated the trigger for the lack of felt reset. But after some live fire, I began to really like the gun.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Personally, I like the idea of a single platform when it comes to my defensive handguns. Identical battery of arms and the ability to share magazines is something I find very appealing. That being said I would not hesitate to change one or the other if I found either a new carry gun or new home defense gun that I really really really liked.
    Bark'n likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Yeah, get what you shoot best and ignore the same platform nonsense. Of all my guns, the ones I carry the most are not even remotely in the same category. One is an all-steel SA auto (1911), one is an all-metal DA/SA auto, one is a polymer striker fired auto (.380 pocket gun), and one is a .38 special revolver. I shoot them all well enough.

Honestly, keeping it all in the same platform is kinda boring anyway come range time.
    kmagnuss and Kilowatt3 like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

As NY27 said, "having the same platform is nice" - nice, but secondary to having guns you each shoot well. As you get more experience, maybe branch out to other platforms, like snubbies, traditional double actions, etc.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    For me not being the same platform is not a deal breaker. I buy and shoot what I like. Doesn't matter who makes it.

As for a gun for your wife DO NOT try to pick her gun for her. Let her try what she wants to, and make her own decision.
    goldshellback and atctimmy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

These are all nice guns.Personally,when it comes to a carry gun,I think simple is best. Glocks,M&Ps and other like them are reliable and simple. By that I mean at that critical moment when you have many things running through your mind and are distracted by many more ,there are no safeties to remember to deactivate,no grip safeties,no hammers to cock etc. Now having said that,if you decided on a gun like a 1911 ,with that stuff, and practice with it all the time so that that muscle memory is second nature,that will work too.Switching back and forth can cause problems.For example,I normally shoot a S&W M&P in IDPA matches.40 cal.Because I had a large amount of 9MM ammo on hand, I decided to shoot a glock for the first time in a match,actually a classifier match.Basically the same gun,little different ergonomics,but basically function the same.When it came time for a mag change like always went for that mag release button and couldn't find it without shifting the gun in my hand and really looking for it. Just that little difference when your under stress can be problematic. So think about switching back and forth differnt guns,different in the way they function,will you remember which one your carrying,what it takes to get it to go bang. Not saying it will, but it can be a problem.

Note the HK P2000SK in LEM might be a better pair with the PPQ than the G26 because the controls are the same.

If I recall correctly, the Wather P99c should accept the PPQ mags.

The HK P30 has ergos on par with the PPQ. If you exclude the trigger (and price I suppose), the P30 can do everything as well as the PPQ. The P30 and P2000SK make a great combo and you can use P30 mags in the P2000SK.

-john

NY27 said it best.

Now, I like the idea of having several guns of the same make and caliber..... but that my training and experience talking after 20 years in the military.

You go with what your comfortable shooting. Let Mrs. Emperor go through the motions herself and pick what's right for her. Support and encourage her, but let her make that final decision herself........ that also experience (and training) talking
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    NY27 hit the nail on the head...get what you shoot best different platforms are nice I have guns from multiple platforms and shot them all well. It just cost more money, and range time... You already have that licked your wife wants to shoot..makes ammo and range time easier
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I used to believe in one gun, one caliber. As my skills improved and I practiced with different firearms, it really didn't matter to me. My first gun was a 357. Once I mastered the double action of a revolver, the rest was easier.

Caveat of a Semiauto is dealing with a safety (external safety, mainly), gripping correctly (I.e. grip safeties), and how to quickly clear various feeding issues (FTF, FTE, etc).

Once you understand the limitations of each, then it doesn't matter as much.

A few rules that help is staying with similar mechanisms (no external safeties), similar types of sights, and proper trigger control.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

VIP Member
    As others have stated if you want to stick to one platform great it can be the easiest option but it is not required. What will be required is if you go with different type weapons you will have to put in extra hours of practice to learn to manipulate those weapons and become proficient with each one.

I will switch from one weapon to the other when home but I have trained with all of them and when I do change over I take a few minutes to engage my brain to make sure I have all the cylinders going on what I am carrying.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I went the single platform route a while back. My wife learned on a revolver and I had two.45 1911s and two Sig 9mms I carried. I standardized on the Sig classic"P" series. Easier to teach the kids on, fewer spare parts to keep track of, fewer holsters to worry about. I even have hammers to make them all double action only if I want so they won't even have to worry about dectocking.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Personally, I like the idea of a single platform when it comes to my defensive handguns. Identical battery of arms and the ability to share magazines is something I find very appealing. That being said I would not hesitate to change one or the other if I found either a new carry gun or new home defense gun that I really really really liked.
    I tend to agree with Rollo.

There is a good case to be made for sticking with the same platform for all the reasons he has mentioned. And a lot of people do just that. But for me personally, I won't let that stop me from buying or using something else that I like.

That said, I've had so many different guns on so many different platforms, I've been somewhat trying to consolidate some of my guns and calibers. For example, I recently sold my one and only .40 caliber. Even though it was an awesome Glock 23 I just don't see what the .40 can do that 9mm & .45 ACP can do with good ammo. And since I have several of those, I saw no need to keep a lone .40 caliber in my line-up.

Right now I'm carrying a full size M&P9, M&P Shield and an XD9sc for my various ccw guns. I'm thinking of changing the XD9sc out for a M&P9c in order to keep things in the same platform.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If you keep em all on one platform you only need to buy one caliber and one set of bore snakes...

If you have several different then if your ammo runs out for the one platform you have several other choices.
    On an extreme tangent - lets say the end of the world is nigh and you are rummaging for ammo and only are able to find 45. That 9 you have is not going to eat it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links