Thoughts on pocket 9mm

Thoughts on pocket 9mm

This is a discussion on Thoughts on pocket 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Really not trying to beat a dead horse on this, I have read many threads all over the net on the subject and may have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Thoughts on pocket 9mm

Thoughts on pocket 9mm

Really not trying to beat a dead horse on this, I have read many threads all over the net on the subject and may have decided what my next purchase will be. However before I pull the trigger ;) on my next purchase I would like your opinion on my decision.

So I am currently in the market for a single stack 9 that can fit in a front pocket of a pair of relaxed fit jeans or cargo pants.

I currently have several firearms and out of all of them I find I carry my P238 more then anything else simply because I can throw it in my pocket in the Desantis holster. I really enjoy the P238 as it shoots very well and feels good in my hand as well as in my pocket. However with that said I do have a few concerns with it being the only firearm I have on me (i know any gun better then no gun) and it often ends up that way.

First IMHO I feel the 380 is a little light, again I know, better than nothing but a few other issues that bother me with it. Being left handed I find it difficult to be quick with the safety on it, making carrying in condition 1 some what of an issue. I have with some practice gotten decent on racking the slide using my belt (one hand) but dont really want to have to go that route if the s**t ever hits the fan.

So with that said I have decided I need a pocket 9 :) but I am a little picky when it comes to my carry weapons. One thing that makes my decision some what hard is, I am not a fan of plastic guns. I am not totally against them, in fact I own 3 or 4 of them but for every day carry I prefer me some metal ;) and don't have a issue with a gun that is a little heavier.

I am currently thinking if picking up a Kahr MK9 (find the size of these perfect) however if I am going to dump $700 into a pocket gun I want to make sure I am not over looking anything.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by FroggyStyle; June 1st, 2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo

I find that polymer guns do not tend to stay long in my collection as well. I ended up buying an MK9, and while I really like it, I can say it has not spent much time in my pocket. A little too heavy for me for pocket carry, though it does work in my cargo shorts. Your pockets may be more suitable. I have a P238 and 642 that ride in my pockets, and the MK9 rides on my belt (not all at the same time).

The MK9 has a great trigger, the weight makes it a pretty soft shooter, and it has been very reliable. I have had it for 6 years, and it has never failed no matter what ammo I feed it. My only complaint is the cost of the magazines.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

My experience is that many "pocket 9mm" are not that easy to pocket carry. It depends on many factors such as your build, type of pants, etc. If done, likely will need a fairly large pants pocket, something like cargo pockets in cargo shorts or pants, or something as big.

I'm a huge fan of metal and wood in guns. Like you, I don't dislike polymer but I do prefer metal. Like you I'm a lefty
    I've been shooting for about 3 years so I still have lots to learn but I'd like to share my perspective.

I was also in search of the perfect pocket 9. I read reviews of the Kahr models and found that the MK9 was a softer shooter than the PM9. I was willing to deal with the extra weight in exchange for reduced felt recoil/easier follow-up shots. My other criteria was that it had to be a comfortable gun to shoot so I could practice often at the range. I had an opportunity to grab a lightly used MK9 so I jumped on it.

The MK9 is certainly everything I thought it would be... except a good pocket gun. It's a great shooter, accurate, recoil is very manageable. I love the gun and have learned a few things from owning it.
    -I have a low profile kydex OWB holster for it. It carries much more comfortably this way than in pocket. In fact pants pocket carry is not even an option for me. I do like to carry it in the pocket of my barn coat in colder months.
    -I now like polymer guns. Don't get me wrong, nothing beats the "heirloom" quality of a metal Sig but polymer guns excel at their intended use.
    -I spent a lot of time chasing the perfect small pistol only to realize that I prefer a larger pistol whenever possible. Of course a smaller pistol is great for times you can't carry something larger.

All of this is personal preference so no one can say what will work for you. You'll find lots of people on the net who pocket carry G26s and MK9s so it's certainly possible. I couldn't possibly even consider it. The best advice I can give you is to go to a shop that has an MK9 and drop it in your pocket for a test ride.
    The MK9 is a fantastic gun and certainly worth owning. But if I were hell-bent on pocket carry I'd probably be looking at the PM9, CM9 or maybe even the Diamondback DB9 (assuming it's gotten good reviews). The problem becomes that the more "pocketable" a gun is, the less comfortable it is to shoot. If I'm going to carry a gun I want to be able to shoot 50-100 rounds comfortably every time I go to the range. The MK9 was the smallest gun that fit that criteria for me and since I consider it too heavy/wide for pocket carry I simply gave up on the idea of 9mm pocket carry and moved on. (I kept the MK9 though )

So go ahead and gather as many opinions and insights as you can but give it a try before you commit.

Philly Boy likes this.

The only other all-metal 9mm "pocket guns" I can think of are:

Rohrbaugh R9
    Boberg XR9s

Both are going to cost you ~$1k + when all is said and done.

You might want to wait for the Sig P938 - very similar to your P238, but I think it will have ambi safeties, which would be great for you as a lefty. It is slightly larger and heavier than the P238, as you would expect.

If you change your mind and decide to consider polymer, you have:

Kahr PM9/CM9
    Diamondback DB9
    Sig P290

Slightly larger:

Ruger LC9
    Kel Tec PF9
    Taurus 709
    S&W Shield

Note - I had some casual pants modified by a tailor, to deepen the pocket and square the bottom off. With a Desantis Superfly pocket holster, I can carry a Glock 26 in those pockets. The holster is key, as it is soft and contours to your thigh when you sit, so it does not feel so much like a book in your pocket. Leather pocket holsters (with an anti-print panel) do a better job of hiding the outline of the pistol, but are stiffer and less comfortable. It's all a trade-off.

Also key is a good gun belt, to deal with the weight (G26 - 26 oz loaded). By comparison, my PM9 is 20 oz loaded.

Finally - I would not discount a .380 when weight is a concern. In some clothes, I carry my LCP. I'm not concerned about the caliber.

If you want to stick to all-metal, then another option is a snubbie.

Hope this helps - good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    get over the plastic and get a LC9 they are cheap, shoot well and have options for pocket carry holsters. $349 or less.
    surefire7 and mr.stuart like this.

Kahr PM9 is an excellent gun.
    surefire7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Busby View Post
    Kahr PM9 is an excellent gun.
    I agree. I have a CM9 (same size as PM9) and it carries in a standard type pocket well. It is also an excellent gun.
    stevez likes this.

for pocket carry, polymer is your friend. Steel is not....unless you enjoy a sagging pocket.

Keltec PF-9 12oz
    Kahr CM9 14oz
    Diamondback DB9 11oz

you can get any of the three for well under $400.
    Doodle likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

go to your LGS, check out the PM9 / CM9 / LC9 or any other single stack pocket 9. ask to stick it in your pocket. walk up and down the store. you will not want it in your pocket for more than a few minutes.

just imagine putting a pocket 9 in your gym shorts when you walk / jog with the dog. its far too big and heavy, even at 14-15 ounce.

i owned one and was not happy with it, so i sold it.

the max i'd put in a pocket is a 13oz j-frame or LCR (38sp, not 357 - its too heavy). but the best pocket gun is the 10oz LCP.

had a Taurus 738 TCP, its equally as pocketable as the LCP - but after continuous practice drawing from the pocket, the TCP tends to catch on your pocket - the rear of the slide is not as raked as the LCP and that is where it catches.

Quote Originally Posted by texasKA View Post
    go to your LGS, check out the PM9 / CM9 / LC9 or any other single stack pocket 9. ask to stick it in your pocket. walk up and down the store. you will not want it in your pocket for more than a few minutes.

just imagine putting a pocket 9 in your gym shorts when you walk / jog with the dog. its far too big and heavy, even at 14-15 ounce.

i owned one and was not happy with it, so i sold it.

the max i'd put in a pocket is a 13oz j-frame or LCR (38sp, not 357 - its too heavy). but the best pocket gun is the 10oz LCP.

had a Taurus 738 TCP, its equally as pocketable as the LCP - but after continuous practice drawing from the pocket, the TCP tends to catch on your pocket - the rear of the slide is not as raked as the LCP and that is where it catches.

Actually what you can do to simulate the weight, is go to the bank and get 2 -$10 worth of quarters. Each $10 roll weighs approx. 8 ounces. 2 of them in your pocket together will simulate *approx*:

Diamondback DB9 loaded 6+1
    Kahr CM9 / PM9 empty

I hope this helps. God Bless

Outa all my single stack 9mms, and I have a few, I prefer my SigP290 to any and all. Slightly heavier than the Kahr, but IMO the 5 extra ounces are worth it. All other measurements are pretty much the same as the PM9. Academy sports has um for $499 with the sig laser. Absolutely love the two that I have. Worh a look IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I carry a gun that is not polymer in my front pocket....my pocket doesn't sag.....I have found that the pocket polymer frame 9mm pistols are way to snappy for me....I like to shoot a lot so I can acclimate myself to the gun and see how reliable it is....the polymer frame guns are just not guns to run a 1000 rounds through...and I have seen the Kel Tec PF9 fail so often that I would never carry one....I've seen magazine drops, failure to feeds, slide jumping off the rails, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    for pocket carry, polymer is your friend. Steel is not....unless you enjoy a sagging pocket.

Keltec PF-9 12oz
    Kahr CM9 14oz
    Diamondback DB9 11oz

you can get any of the three for well under $400.

get a belly band and carry a regular gun

I am waiting on a Sig P938 to replace my Sig P238 that was a great pistol.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links