Sig 239 slide rattle

Sig 239 slide rattle

This is a discussion on Sig 239 slide rattle within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I went and bought the P239 DAK in .40 today at Parro's neat new gun shop in Waterbury. It is used, but just long ...

Thread: Sig 239 slide rattle

Sig 239 slide rattle

Well, I went and bought the P239 DAK in .40 today at Parro's neat new gun shop in Waterbury. It is used, but just long enough to have tied itself up with the first magazine the previous owner tried to put through it. He sent it back to Sig for what was probably a feed ramp problem and it was returned with what appears to be a new barrel. He apparently buys guns like the rest of buy beer, so he bought another one instead of waiting on Sig, and I wound up with it. Night sights, new with the gun a year ago I was told, spare mag, extra spring and they even threw in a box of ammo so I could tell the Finance Committee what a hard bargain I drove for only $699. The thing is, the slide rattles, unlike my CPO 229 .40. So can anybody tell me: Does it matter? Will the night sights quit, like, next month? If I don't shoot the gun, I can return it for store credit. But by this time tomorrow, it might be too late!

Senior Moderator
    Shoot it and see. A little slide rattle usually means nothing. Some guns have more, others less.

The night sights are usally good for about 10 years.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Night sights should be good for - what is it? - 7 years or more.

Surprised to hear tho of slide rattle as in my experience SIG's are, if anything - over tight when new.

That said - many semi's - including 1911's - can work just great even with some slide rattle. If barrel lock-up is good then really no problem to speak of.

I wonder tho in which axis the rattle is occurring - long axis or transverse - and how much movement can be detected.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OK, P95, the rattle is lateral. I just put a snap cap in it and tried it again. After dropping the hammer on the snap cap, the hammer is fully forward and ..presto!..no rattle. Cy, the young man in the store and a credit to his calling, said his rattles worse than mine but not as bad as his co-workers pistol which he uses as a truck pistol. They have no complaints as to function or accuracy, though. As much as I would hate to kill my own thread here, I may be OK. Or not. Lemme know.....

VIP Member
    I have 2 P239s a 9mm and a .357SIG. I never have noticed any slide rattle. The .357 does have more lateral movement in the slide when I grasp the slide and try to move it laterally. I noticed this when I first got it. Both were used. The 9mm was about 90 to 95% and the .357 was LNIB. I think that one mag had been fired through the .357.

I thought it was unusual that the newer and less used .357 would have more movement. The other difference is that the frame of the 9mm was made in the USA and the .357 frame was made in Germany. Don't know that it matters.

I have put over 500 rounds through both the 9mm and the .357SIG and have noticed no difference in performance between the two. And after those rounds I can see no change in the amount of lateral movement on either pistol. The .357 still has a little more than the 9mm.

Since I have had no problem with either I had decided several weeks ago to quit worrying about it. I had not checked the movement in the last two weeks at least until tonight prior to posting this reply. Shoot it and see what happens. If it is a problem let SIG fix it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    That got me to wondering, so I just went and checked my 239 .40.

Its pretty tight and I've shot the heck out of it.

A semi auto HAS to have a bit of clearance in it to work right. Theres a tolerance range of what is considered acceptable. If the gun shoots well without any hitches, its probably OK.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Seeing that I work for Sigarms, I can probably answer your questions best.
    I also have loose slides in my Sigs. I find the rattle doesn't effect the gun in the slightest The night sights (Siglites i would imagine) are made by Meprolite, and should be good for about 12-15 yrs.......
    If ytou find that you need to send it back, you'll probably have the gun worked on by the Custom Shop. the Supervisor in the shop (Tony is his name) and his crew, do INCREDIBLE workmanship on the guns. In fact, if you DO need it worked on, make sure you have some "extra stuff' done at the time. I'm sure they'll send you a fine peice of workmanship, should you decide to send it back
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lead Moderator
    CLASS3NH +1

There has been discussion about this on the SIGForum and it seems that the 239 is prone to rattle. The conclusion has been that it doesn't effect the accuracy of the gun, so no real problem.

Mine (9mm) has a slight rattle if there is no mag in the weapon, when there is, I get nothing.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Now Class 3 has also added his thoughts - I reckon it is in the ''non issue'' category

I must say I'd rather a smidgeon of rattle than way too tight. When still breaking in my 226 slide was such a good fit, grease plus crud slowed it down enough to prejudice function of std pressure ammo - tho +P was fine. I now use Militech1 on slide.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I guess a little rattle is alright ?

My P239 .40/357sig has many hundreds of rounds down range
    no rattle at all, maybe you should have it check out.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator

The radioactive half~life of Tritium is 12.3 years so in 12.3 years they will be half as bright as they were when the Tritium used for their fabrication was new.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Now Class 3 has also added his thoughts - I reckon it is in the ''non issue'' category

I must say I'd rather a smidgeon of rattle than way too tight. When still breaking in my 226 slide was such a good fit, grease plus crud slowed it down enough to prejudice function of std pressure ammo - tho +P was fine. I now use Militech1 on slide.
    MOI?? I have thoughts??
    I have no mind........or at least I've been told
    The guns may ratttle a little, but when they're in full battery, they lock up real tight. I have a 226, 228, that are a little 'loose" but they shoot very well, and are accurate
    Chris, you'd be in "Sig Heaven" if you walked thru the place

Hey, CLASS3...Does Sig give tours? If so, it might be fun to get us Frostbitten Northeast types together for a day of education and eating and other such blandishments as Exeter might have to offer!

They give tours, whith prior approval.....You should get together and take a course at the Acadamy........it's in the building, and we have several types of ranges........plus the ones outside as well..........135 acres in fact..
    As an Employee, I get to take the courses for zip (providing they have an opening, and nobody is scheduled ) One of the little "perks" we get.....hehehe

Sponsored Links