New Gun For CC

New Gun For CC

This is a discussion on New Gun For CC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am humbly appealing to the resident gun gods for some advice on a new CC pistol. I'm currently carrying a .40 XD sub-compact, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Gun For CC

New Gun For CC

I am humbly appealing to the resident gun gods for some advice on a new CC pistol. I'm currently carrying a .40 XD sub-compact, but I'm finding it to be a little heavy for summer carry depending on what I'm wearing. So I've narrowed my search down to two smaller single stack 9mm pistols.

I am currently considering either the Ruger LC9 or the Kahr CW9. I really just wanted some opinions from anyone who actually has or had either of these pistols. Just from what I've researched online it seems that the biggest concern with the Ruger is the long trigger, and the Kahr from what I've read can be hit or miss regarding quality issues.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

VIP Member
    I had a LC9 and while it was easy to carry, in my opinion, the trigger on it just plain sucked. Much loner trigger pull than was needed. I sold it and replaced it with a CW9. Lightweight, easy to carry and a much sweeter trigger. I will admit the sights took a little getting used to, as I'm used to 3 dot sights, but it didn't take long.

Keep in mind, both guns are designed for defensive shooting and not target shooting. Don't expect either to be tack drivers.

BTW- Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

did you ever think about changing the way you carry? I carry in a belly band and it can handle large guns with out pulling your pants down

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    did you ever think about changing the way you carry? I carry in a belly band and it can handle large guns with out pulling your pants down
    I actually have tried multiple carry methods including a belly band, also tried to pocket carry a friends LCP. But after trying different methods I really felt the most comfortable carrying IWB. Really the problem for me is carrying in shorts, carrying in jeans isn't really an issue, but since I do live in the south it's pretty rare that I'm ever in jeans in the summer to begin with.

VIP Member
    I like my LC9 for defensive carry. Yes the trigger is long, but smooth consistant pull. I like the long pull since I have a chambered round when I carry it. I also like the slide lock. It locks harder than it unlocks. The leather/kydex holster IWB is the way to go. I also have a belt slide and a leather pocket holster for it. I do not or will not carry it without a holster.
    My LC9 is stock. I have not removed the empty mag safety. I heard this makes the trigger perform better. There are several trigger upgrades available. I will probably leave mine alone.
    I don't own a Kahr but they have a huge following.

Get a Kel Tec PF9 and be happy IMO. If you wear those cargo type shorts you might be set even without a holster. That's what I would do if I couldn't deal with my first choice or a holster on the hottest of days. Nobody ever said carrying would or could be the ultimate in comfort although I fully realize why folks search endlessly for such things. One thing I can say for sure is....that once you're totally comfortable, that's when your enemy knows it's prime time to put you to the test and likely take you down. Two things you take into battle.......you and your gear. Your enemy comes in many forms and not always walking on two legs. Your enemy can be pain and suffering as well. Staying alive could be worth going through hell over IMO. Nothing in this world is ever really simple now is it? Best wishes for finding what you need at the moment.

I have a Kahr CW9. It's great for carry but I can't seem to shoot it very well. That's obviously just me as others report great accuracy out of their Kahr. Never have heard of any quality issues with them, mine has been functionally flawless.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I love my LC9 so far. I carry in a Desantis Superfly and it is a little large when sitting down but if I am doing a lot of walking it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to toss a fly in the ointment, if you can find a Bersa BP9CC, check it out. I looked at the Kahr and Ruger (and Shield, and KelTec, and several others) before I bought the Bersa....it was a hands-down winner in every category I was looking for. Great trigger, full-grip with no dangling pinky, 3-dot sights, slim, easy to field-strip, reliable in feeding and ejecting, priced better than the more expensive Kahr's but also has polygonal rifling in the barrel. I didn't want a pocket gun. I wanted a slim Glock 19, but smaller. Plenty of threads on it, but can be hard to find. I think there was (1) listed on Gunbroker recently, for $379 Buy It Now, and free shipping! Actually thinking about buying another one!

would you consider the shield it has a great trigger lots better than lc9
    sid1 likes this.

Definitely check out the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Shield. Great trigger, easy to shoot well and very slim and concealable. I fell in love with it on the first shot.
    Fitch likes this.

You may as well check out the Kahr CM9/PM9. The CW series is still a large gun for summer carry IMO.

I've always been a Glock guy and also got the itch for something smalle/lighter for warm weather. I bought a PM9 a while back and I'm thinking it'll also be my EDC come winter.

With a good belt, my xd40sc is no problem to carry IWB in shorts in the Florida heat. I do also have a S&W 442 for pocket carry and a Taurus PT709 for thin 9mm carry. I mostly carry the xd40sc.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I Needed about 200 rounds through to get comfortable with my LC9. The only time that I have trouble with the long trigger pull, is after shooting my SR40C. Going back the 9 makes me have to "fight the flinch". No matter how hard I try to not be affected by the difference, it still takes a couple of mags to dial it back in. Carry is a dream. IWB. Pretty much forget that its there.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

I carry an XD9sc IWB so I can relate to wanting something a bit smaller in certain circumstances, mostly in the summer.

I just picked up a Diamondback DB9 and have put a little more than 200 rounds through it. (Might make a thread for it, haven't decided yet) It has had some FTEs but that was mainly with lower quality range ammo. With my choice of defensive ammo (124gr Golden Saber, also shot some 147 which is my XD's carry ammo) it functioned flawlessly with around 60 rounds. Still going to shoot it more and more to confirm this, but I would carry it now with the Golden Sabers. Waiting on a holster to show up before that happens, though.

Oh, and over 200 rounds in maybe an hours time with an 11 ounce gun was very uncomfortable...some mild slide bite, and a blood blister on my trigger finger, somehow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links