USP .45 misfeeding

This is a discussion on USP .45 misfeeding within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my USP for over 2 years now. It's always functioned 100% up until recently. I can't say exactly, but I'm guessing I have ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky
  • 3 Post By QKShooter

Thread: USP .45 misfeeding

USP .45 misfeeding

I've had my USP for over 2 years now. It's always functioned 100% up until recently. I can't say exactly, but I'm guessing I have over 1000-2000 through it total.

A few months ago, I was at the range just shooting some of my handgun. My USP had a misfeed. I shrugged it off and kept shooting. This was with S&B 230gr ammo. The nest time out it shoots fine. Then next time at the range (a few days ago) I got a misfeed. Tap rack bang doesn't clear it. The round goes bullet end up into the top edge of the chamber/barrel. When I tap, rack the next round just tries to feed under. The misfed round is never grabbed by the extractor. I was using an aftermarket ProMag magazine. I got these strictly for range use and nothing more. HK wants like $347569378563 for a magazine.

So I go back today and put 100 rounds through my USP. Everything is going fantastic. I'm about 60 rounds through with no issues. Then, misfeed. Same as the first two. This time I was using a factory HK magazine. This was also with PMC ammo.

So the gun will misfeed once out of every 100 rounds it seems. Ammo and magazines don't matter. I"m not limp wristing. Please don't give me that crap. I tried to purposely limp wrist for the heck of it and could not get the misfeed to duplicate. It happens at random.

I'm wondering if this is God's way of saying that I should sell my USP .45 and get an M&P45? Or maybe a new recoil spring is needed? I'm not sure. I have a feeling that if I sent it to HK, they'd put a few rounds through it and tell me there is nothing wrong with it because they can't duplicate the problem.

I absolutely love this thing. It's probably the most accurate (in my hands) handgun that I've shot. The SA trigger pull is awesome (DA trigger is horrid). It's been such a fantastic pistol up until a few weeks ago. I find even a minor malfunction on occasion to be unacceptable with a defensive pistol. Especially when the tap rack bang doesn't clear it up. It's more like, Tap, rack, click, remove mag, rack rack rack, insert mag, rack, and finally.... bang.

This is the handgun that sits in my night stand drawer every night. I don't carry it.

Anything I can try to resolve this, any ideas? Like I said, mags and ammo don't seem to be the issue.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't rule out mags even though it occurred on 2 different mags... That would actually be my guess. Where did it occur first round of the mag, second, middle or last?

Dirty pistol.....bad ammo, or in need of a new recoil spring. I'm just ruling out the "stupid crap" here.

I'm an HK fan....got a t-shirt to prove it! 'No Compromise'

Shoot it with just factory mags and if it runs 100% then mags probably need new springs,or replaced,I would also replace the recoil spring,but would test the mags first.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    I had this issue occasionally when my USP 40 F was new. It cleared up within a few 100 rounds(so less than a week). I would replace the recoil spring first.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Well, when you have a semi-auto that always fed flawlessly before and then it fails to feed - here is what we can logically assume.

The frame feed ramp has not changed. The barrel ramp has not changed. Nor the breech face. The barrel chamber is the same as it always was so...that really narrows the problem down.

#1 Disassemble and clean your magazines internally.

Then...I would install a new recoil spring first.

You should have at least one extra one of those anyway.

Then look to the magazine springs.
    Because if the mag spring is not quick enough to move the next cartridge up into an ideal position against the feed lips..for the feed it's not going to move it up into the extractor very well either...and that will cause your exact malf.

and if all that fails...then it's probably the extractor.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Buying a factory HK mag will be painful. I'll try cleaning them and replacing the mag springs. Just seems odd. I've shot and used my Glock mags WAY longer than these HK mags. Seems odd that they'd be worn out already, same with the recoil spring. But I'll replace them and see what happens. Like QKShooter said, nothing has changed, but springs do wear out. The feed ramp is smoother than any of my handguns, including 1911's.

When I think about it, I just can't think of what else it could be other than magazines, but the fact that it happened in two different ones in such close proximity kind of threw me off. I have a bad 1911 mag that is always causing misfeeds, but it's only one magazine. I marked it, I still use it for the range. Odd that two of my HK mags would start to have problems at the same time. But crazier things have happened I guess.

Anyway, I cleaned the mags and the gun itself. Here is what I found. Tell me if this could have an impact on feeding. I'm thinking yes. Remember, this thing jams about 1 out of every hundred rounds. WAY too often for a defensive gun, but not often enough to be annoying on a range gun... if that gets my point across..

I came across this and found that it doesn't look right. I tried to compare to some pictures of USP extractors on google and it looks like there is a chunk of the bottom of my extractor missing.

I've found that If I try to slowly chamber a round, the extractor will not catch the rim of the case. I'm not sure if this is happened when firing as well.

It appears as if my G19 will be wearing the TLR-2 tonight, or until I get this USP sorted out.

Found this. Had new springs installed and had the extractor fixed by HK... Still seems to have the problem
    USP .45 Failure to feed?

This seems to be exactly what's happening to me. (video is from OP on HKpro.com)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfyXj...ature=youtu.be

I just tried the exact same thing with snap caps and have the same result. I'd say, underpowered ammo, but my USP has ran both PMC and S&B reliably in the past with no failures. Why suddenly now?

I'm still at a loss. I don't have a clue what could be going on here. Seems as if the guy on hkpro who has the same exact issue has replace mag springs and had his extractor re-worked by HK and he's still having problems.

Administrator
    I came across this and found that it doesn't look right. I tried to compare to some pictures of USP extractors on google and it looks like there is a chunk of the bottom of my extractor missing.

If that is the case then it looks like you found the problem. Hopefully.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

From the HK USP 45 Armorers guide, refer to pp31-32 for elements to consider when experiencing failures to feed, chamber, extract, and so on.

Basically ...

• Failure to feed -- magazine (broken, lips broken, spring broken, loaded wrong, not seated); recoil spring broken/bent; weapon dirty; ammunition.
    • Failure to chamber -- chamber fould; deformed cartridge; weak or broken recoil spring; frame damaged.
    • Failure to extract -- chamber fouled; extractor (extractor, spring, plug) broken.

There's also a video for HK USP Armorers out on bittorrent that might help.

The images of the USP 45 extractor ends look to be nicely square, sharp and beveled, but without any "chunk" areas "missing." You might want to clean/scrub the area again and compare in detail, either to images that have enough resolution/angles or with a spare that someone has. An HK shop might have one, if you don't.

By the way, you indicated that you've cleaned the gun, yet the images showing the extractor and breech face area don't look squeaky clean. On a previous Browning BDM 9mm that I had, at one point some minor crud had worked its way in behind the edges of the extractor, which caused it to go unreliable (slowly, randomly). I was able to use extremely fine tools to root around "back there" and wash out most of the crud, to the point it smoothed out again. Never did have such issues again across more than 30K rounds, though I had become a cleanliness hound on that gun. Perhaps its minor fouling that's worked its way behind/around the extractor, possibly into the area occupied by the spring or plug, possibly along the edges or behind the extractor itself. Hard to say, unless these parts are removed, cleaned and possibly replaced.

Magazines (lube, lips, follower, springs) can also be a frequent culprit of failures to feed or chamber correctly. You should have spare mags, several spare mag springs and followers, and ensure all parts are smooth, undamaged, unbent, ultra-clean and well-lubed.

Hard to know, until parts are removed, cleaned and replaced. It's exhibiting failures every ~60-100rds or so, more or less, infrequent enough to make the sleuthing difficult. That's what full strip/clean/replace is all about, eliminating failure points by revalidating the basic function. Meticulously going through things will likely correct the cause(s). Of course, not everyone has spares, tools, skills and/or time to accomplish what amounts to an armorer's disassembly. In your case, you might opt to attempt or have an armorer tackle a detailed strip/clean/replace in the affected areas.

Good luck tracking it down.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I sent HK a request for a Return Authorization Number. I'll send it it with my two original magazines with a description of what has been happening and see if they can figure it out. It's easier than me rattling my brain trying to figure it out myself. I'm just fearful they'll feed me a bunch of crap and not be able to find a problem, because as I said, it's not like it jams every single mag I shoot through it. I don't know if they test fire them or what they do in order to determine or duplicate the concern of if they just inspect them. If I do, however, receive the gun back and continue to have the problems, that M&P45 I jokingly mentioned may become more of a reality. I do have a hankering for an M&P pistol lately. I know for a fact it's nothing I'm doing. I'm not limp wristing. I've caused both my Glocks and HK fail to lock back on several occasions due to experimental grips, accidentally resting my thumb or something on the slide lock. I've even caused my G30SF to lock open in the middle of a mag because the palm of my left hand under my thumb was unintentionally pressing upwards on the slide release. But this time.... these FTF's, I can't find a single thing that I'd be doing to cause it. Trust me, I've considered it. I just don't see it.

I'll give HK a chance to make it right and hopefully they will find something definitively wrong and be able to fix it, because I do really love the way this gun shoots. I'd hate to have to get rid of it, because I don't want a safe queen. I only want guns that work. And if it's not fixed, I will get rid of it.

Links