springfield armory ultra carry report

This is a discussion on springfield armory ultra carry report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; in my search for a deep cover handgun i finally decided on the stainless springfield armory 3.5" ultra carry. after struggling to decide between all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: springfield armory ultra carry report

springfield armory ultra carry report

in my search for a deep cover handgun i finally decided on the stainless springfield armory 3.5" ultra carry. after struggling to decide between all types of handguns (from the baby glock to snubbie revolvers), being a 1911 man at heart it was only natural that i would ultimately end up with a compact 1911.

what i dont like

for a handgun from the "loaded" lineup i think they could have done better than just selling a compact hangun in a full-size case. for this kind of money you would think that you would get a case that fits.

the "made in brazil" stamping totally blows. a minor detail certainly, but id prefer it not be there.

i also dont like the "slimline cocobolo" stock grips. while beautiful, theyre very thin which changes the entire feel of the weapon. a $20 hogue wrap-around grip solved that.

what i like

(shown next to a 5" springfield armory TRP and a 4.25" stainless colt combat commander XSE)

fit, finish, and feel this weapon is definately a sprinfield. while looser than my TRP (very good fit, just not as tight as the TRP which in itself could also be a good thing), its slide to frame match is comparable to the colt commander. i found the weapon to be very reliable and surprisingly accurate for such a short barrel. i didnt measure any groups as thats not how i shoot, but my bad guy target was full of well placed shots. after 500 mixed rounds (ball, jhp, +P) from all positions (including "gangsta" style, "inverted gangsta" style, upside down, etc.) i have had zero failures of any kind. although im used to and still prefer a full-size grip, i was surprised at how good the officer size grip fits too (with the right grip). my only complaint is the occassional brass hitting me in the face, which is just an extractor adjustment.

carry options

i purchased a tuckable split decision from high noon holsters. although the holster is decent, i find it uncomfortable. being new to tuckable IWB, i dont know if this is normal. perhaps my opinion will change with time.

i also purchased a fobus ankle holster to try. thanks to the forward cant, getting the pant leg over the weapon isnt hard, even with straight leg jeans. while it doesnt bother me, its probably a little heavy to be an ankle gun for most folks. after carrying it a few days like this, ive decided that despite the quality of the holster this method of carry should be reserved for when you have no other choice.

the search continues for an all day carry rig that is condusive to deep cover. ill most likely order a vm2 next.

bottom line
    for a compact its a great gun at a reasonable price. i wouldnt hesitate to carry it daily once i find a holster that works for me. while i prefer the fullsize grip of the commander and the natural feel of a full size 1911, this is a great weapon thats very concealable and a perfect solution for any 1911 enthusiast looking for a deep cover weapon.

2. Remove Ads

Good report, thanks for typing it up for us.

That is a good looking gun you have there. You should be very happy with your purchase.

Thanks again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

i would have to agree a very nice looking gun.. =O)

Man, that's a nice looking 1911. I've wanted a short barrelled Springfield for a long time, but I have seen just enough reports of them being finicky about feeding reliability to scare me off. I battlled with a Champ size one for 2 years to get it to feed (S.A. and I got to know each other pretty well!). Glad yours is percolating well, looks like a great carry gun.

I think part of the problem is that the guys who have problems let the whole world know. I keep running into guys who either had no problems or just put a few standard 1911 tweaks on and have been happily pumping rounds through their compacts and micros ever since. It took my local gunshop forever to even get them in and they order a pile of guns every month. They said demand is exceeding production.

Conversly I've also seen guys cussing out big name 5" 1911's cause they can't seem to get the factory to ever make the gun work. I know it took a little work to get my LW Commander up to carrying standard but that was just the luck of the draw as it's sure a runner now. I'm Breaking in a GI Micro Compact now and I look to going through the standard 1911 break in and tweaking but certainly have no complaints, yet....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

thank you, and youre welcome. i ordered a vm2 with the kydex clips today, hopefully it will live up to my expectations.

Sweeeet!

I carried my G23 for the first time today. Iíll give it a while until I decide weather itís too thick or not.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

I have a SA Micro Compact and love it!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

good to hear some good reports. I have heard mixed reviews on these small 1911s. kinda flashy for a carry gun but get it in a blued or parkerised and it would be good to go.

I think sooner or later I will end up with a compact to go along with my fullsize 1911.

I've looking for one of these, but apparently they are hard to come by. Does the Ultra have a "Ramped" barrel? My P-12 does and it feeds fine.

Great report NaturalSelection! Thank you!

I am about to make the SAME purchase, so i am interested in anything you care to add later on!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by rockbronco View Post
    kinda flashy for a carry gun but get it in a blued or parkerised and it would be good to go.
    for a gun that will be carried IWB (will get wet from sweat) i dont want anything other than stainless (or tenifer, which has held up better than stainless in some circumstances).

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    very nice review. I have the Kimber version, and I love it. I really like the stain-less finish. Mine is blued and is starting to show some good holster wear, I don't mind, but the stainless would probably hold up better.
    stain-less is just that, it stains less, but still rusts, so sweat will do it.
    please let us know how you like it in a few months. I get more and more fond of mine, and as I have said before, the mini 1911's are just as reliable now-a-days as their full size brothers.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    I sure appreciate the report!

I have the "bigger brother" to your new 1911, the Springfield Champion.
    If I ever was tempted to carry two guns, this little gun of yours might be the one that tips the scale for me and I've been interested to find someone who had one to see if it was as reliable as my Champion.

I may just have to see if I can find one!

Thanks again!
    Thumper
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    stain-less is just that, it stains less, but still rusts, so sweat will do it.
    while true, it takes sustained contact for stainless to rust. although possible, it will withstand rust far better than most other finishes. ive never had a stainless rust from sweat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links