New Taurus M85 Ultra Lite .38

This is a discussion on New Taurus M85 Ultra Lite .38 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wanting a revolver for quite some time and finally decided on one! I picked it up this morning and put 200 rounds down ...

Thread: New Taurus M85 Ultra Lite .38

New Taurus M85 Ultra Lite .38

I've been wanting a revolver for quite some time and finally decided on one! I picked it up this morning and put 200 rounds down range. Even with my big hands, it's still a nice fit. Nice trigger pull and the two finger grip helps a lot with the recoil.

I'm interested in anybody elses experiences with this weapon and also looking for a speed loader kit somebody could recommend.

Thanks in advance!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

I have a similar Taurus variant, the 851 SSUL - the "humpback" model with the shrouded hammer. Works great; had it 9 years now with no problems. But it's one of those that gets carried a lot and shot little. I'd say my total round count through this gun is no more than a couple of thousand rounds. It's also not a fun gun or a plinker, and after a few dozen practice rounds and a cylinder or two of +P carry ammo, my hand is longing for the "comfort" of my full-size .45s.

The HKS speedloaders work fine - same model as for a J-frame. Get a couple of them and a couple of speed strips as well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Will do. I bought this one used but it's in excellent condition and I suspect it was someone's "hardly carried, hardly fired" because there's absolutely no wear on it at all. I really only put the rounds that I did through it just because it was a new toy As much as I enjoyed shooting it, it won't be one I fire a lot after I get completely used to/comfortable with it. Then it'll assume it's respectable role as a BUG.

I'll go ahead and order that speed loader. I really do appreciate the response. I'm glad I discovered this site and it's forums because I'm learning something new every day since signing up.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have a Taurus 85 also among my revolver collection (standard weight though), and while 'nice' is the last thing that would come to mind when describing the trigger pull, it has been very functional and accurate. Being able to shoot .357 magnum in such a relatively small package makes for a great carry option should you choose to use it as such.

Although I knock the Taurus's trigger it's hardly the worst I've come across. My older Iver Johnson revolvers require significant finger strength to fire in double action.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

i had one taurus 85, the Ultralite titanium model. it was 13oz. and pocket carry was easy. the only negative for me is tang of the grip hurts the web of my hand when shooting more than 50 rounds. i eventually sold it and now i'm thinking of getting another snub.

I have a 90's model Taurus 669 in .357Mag. It's definitely a fine gun, and I can't say anything bad about it, but because of the reputation Taurus has, I likely wouldn't buy another one. I will say that it hasn't left the safe since I picked up my SP101 earlier this year.

I have a steel 85CH and an alloy & titanium ultralight. Both are totally reliable. Taurus' problem children appear to be semi-auto pistols that are not clones of other manufacturer's pistols.

Hi Blitzburg;

How light is that Taurus revolver? Did the factory grips seem to work for you? The Taurus grips with the cushy striations always seemed like a good feature on their revolvers. Never shot a super lightweight Taurus with the factory provided grips.

"Although I knock the Taurus's trigger it's hardly the worst I've come across. My older Iver Johnson revolvers require significant finger strength to fire in double action."

You just haven't lived until you try to roll through six shots double-action with a Colt New Navy revolver from the 1889-1907 time period. The main spring would double as an overload spring on a '54 GMC truck.

And that isn't even the worst. The Russian Nagant revolver is beyond dreadful and wretched in double-action mode. Shoot those Taurus revolvers in comfort, counting your blessings. Things could be worse. You could be stuck fending off Germans at the Battle of Stalingrad armed with a Nagant.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't like "ultra-light" anything... but that's a personal choice.

AS far as the Taurus 85, 605 and 617, they've all been good guns and you really won't hear negative about them. Anyone I know who's had any of these have liked it and never had any issues. You won't hear any bad about my experience with them either.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

That's what my wife carries. Nice little gun.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Links