Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Toorop My usual carry is a Glock 19. My home defense gun is a Glock 17. I like to keep the guns ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    My usual carry is a Glock 19. My home defense gun is a Glock 17. I like to keep the guns similar and in the same caliber for ease of logistics. I do need a weapon light though. And I am thinking a Glock 34 might be a better fun for home defense. Now I just might have to buy one.
    What do you mean by "better fun for home defense"? The last thing that comes to mind is fun when it comes to having to use a weapon in self defense.

2. Remove Ads

I carry either an HK P2000 SK or an HK 45C. My home defense weapons are an HK P30L, Beretta 92FS and/or Colt M4 6940.

My wife carries a Walther PPS in a dedicated Coronado Leather handbag.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I keep my G30 with a G21 mag handy for HD, reg mags for carry. I also keep a S&W 4566 prepped for HD as it's on the large size for S.FL carry. Then there are the others that can quickly be called up for duty if need be. Handgunwise, I start with my .45s on duty and work my way down in caliber.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    What do you mean by "better fun for home defense"? The last thing that comes to mind is fun when it comes to having to use a weapon in self defense.
    I believe that was a typo, fun instead of gun. But then, who knows...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I believe that was a typo, fun instead of gun. But then, who knows...
    That is entirely plausible.

Wife and I both carry a LC9. Our night stand guns are both beretta PX4 storm. She has a SC in 9mm with a rail mount laser and I have a full size .40 in a mattress holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the 10 rounder in my HK45c. I feel good with all of them for home defense as well as carry.

I use a g19 and a 228 for carry. I also use my g19 for HD, but that will soon change when I pick up my g21SF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will soon have a Stoeger Cougar .45 for home defense only. I don't carry yet, but when I do it will initially be a Bersa Thunder 380. Sometime in the future I plan on moving up to a Walther PPS 9mm for carry, probably late next year.

seperate carry at home

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I was wondering if this is the case with a lot of people. I am not refering to a shotgun either. I know that id the best choice for home defense. I am referring to handguns. I generally carry a Glock 27. But I was thinking of getting a Glock 23 or 22 for the house. Being a dedicated home defense weapon, I can leave a good rail light on it at all times. It will be close to my carry gun as they will have the same caliber, Glock trigger, and feel in my hand. Any thoughts?

I think you Glock guys just have money burning in your pockets. I Glock is way over rated. I'm more of a 1911 kinda guy 9mm is just to weak to deal with a perp thats 250-300 lbs and doped up you'd empty a clip before stopping the guy. 45acp has the knock down power. Plus Taurus makes a fine weapon the 24-7 been around a long time very reliable it also has better safety features and has simular feaures as the 1911 such as thumb safety plus like the double/single action ablity can pull trigger again if primer fails with out racking another round and have found this to be helpful. I own three 9mm, 40sw, and the 45acp. for protection I enjoy the 40 and 45 I have instead of a light a lazer. The downside to mounting a flashlite to your gun is the light is the first thing a bad guy is going to shoot. I carry my light in free hand and hold away from my body or face. I've done security and law enforcement for military and civil agency's. But the best more reliable gun is a good revolver, like a 8-shot 357 dead round no worries just squeeze another round sends lead down range. I got a nice 20gage for my wife and 3buck has saved her life she's a small girl but she does well with the 20 pump. But to each is their own. 357mag with light loads such as 125 grain low recoil. I have nice 7-shot model 617 taurus feels just like a smith and wesson with out the heavy price tag. Plus the Judge is also nice to carry having buck shot handy gives one comfort. But enjoy the glock. Just saying glock is just a name to me.

VIP Member
    My primary EDC is a G-30. My primary night-time HD is a G21 with a rail light. Now, if I am lazy, I will leave the G21 in the safe and just swap the G30 mag for a G21 mag in the G30. I always have a spare Surefire on the nightstand I can grab.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by wombwellt View Post
    ...Glock is way over rated. I'm more of a 1911 kinda guy...
    that may or may not be true but it's hard to over rate a $500 gun with Glock's track record. of course the entire argument is subjective anyway but the 1911 is the crowned prince of being over rated IMO. some folks think the 1911 came over in the Ark with Noah and was built by Devine inspiration or something. they're both just tools and they both have their quirks. I've not had any more or less reliability issues with my 1911's as I've had with anything else. both platforms have their pros and cons.

I EDC a Kahr PM-9 but sometimes swap up to my CZ P-01, G19, or HK45c. The CZ or HK is always in the nightstand because my wife prefers DA/SA. The 870 tactical conversion is in the bedroom closet. Will be buying a threaded barrel and can for one of the home guns soon.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I really had no idea this thread would take off like it did. COOL! I have seen a lot of good stuff and some pretty biased info too. The wisest thing I can add is that what works best is what fits each individual shooter. I am on the same thinking as Rob Pincus that there is a negligable difference in 9mm to 40S&W to .45. The easier it is to get multiple shots onto target in a paniced situation with a faster string of fire is best (for me). The one shot stop muth is just that: a myth. Never rely on being able to fire one shot and be done. Keep firing until the threat is eliminated. Also, shooting at night is extremely difficult when you aren't all jacked up in panic. I recommend some practice in the dark. I have a buddy that lets me shoot on his land at night with my lights. Its harder than you would think. Lofs of shadows to throw you off.

Quote Originally Posted by wombwellt View Post
    I think you Glock guys just have money burning in your pockets. I Glock is way over rated. I'm more of a 1911 kinda guy 9mm is just to weak to deal with a perp thats 250-300 lbs and doped up you'd empty a clip before stopping the guy. 45acp has the knock down power. Plus Taurus makes a fine weapon the 24-7 been around a long time very reliable it also has better safety features and has simular feaures as the 1911 such as thumb safety plus like the double/single action ablity can pull trigger again if primer fails with out racking another round and have found this to be helpful. I own three 9mm, 40sw, and the 45acp. for protection I enjoy the 40 and 45 I have instead of a light a lazer. The downside to mounting a flashlite to your gun is the light is the first thing a bad guy is going to shoot. I carry my light in free hand and hold away from my body or face. I've done security and law enforcement for military and civil agency's. But the best more reliable gun is a good revolver, like a 8-shot 357 dead round no worries just squeeze another round sends lead down range. I got a nice 20gage for my wife and 3buck has saved her life she's a small girl but she does well with the 20 pump. But to each is their own. 357mag with light loads such as 125 grain low recoil. I have nice 7-shot model 617 taurus feels just like a smith and wesson with out the heavy price tag. Plus the Judge is also nice to carry having buck shot handy gives one comfort. But enjoy the glock. Just saying glock is just a name to me.
    your 24/7 choked yet like mine? Its spent more time in Miami than the Dolphins. Yeah, those Glocks (that never fail) are overrated.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Links