Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun? - Page 3

Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My HD gun is also my carry gun. a 1911 or Browning Hi Power. My wife has her Colt Diamonback in her home office & ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    My HD gun is also my carry gun. a 1911 or Browning Hi Power. My wife has her Colt Diamonback in her home office & I keep a loaded .357 out of the safe & stashed in the basement.

To me, it's a money-thing. I think it's entirely reasonable to have a home-based handgun that is superior (to the task) than your carry. BUT, your carry gun really is a powerful tool, if it's up to the task outside, then it should be up to the task inside. If you're worried about home security (or the health of your family, which is a subset of home security to most people), then I think there're better things to spend your money on than a second gun. I'd rather have a second cellphone in the family than a second gun. I'd rather be wearing an armored vest than owning a second gun. I'd rather have motion-sensor lighting than a second gun. And, running on sheer statistics, I'd rather feed my family a diet higher in vegetables or run my daughter through a defensive-driving course than own a second gun.

The marginal benefit of a home-based (second) pistol, to me, is a lot lower than its marginal cost.
    Last edited by CanuckQue; June 3rd, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    CCW is a G19 or a G26 backed by a S&W 442.

Home defense is handled with a RRA M4gery topped by an Aimpoint a Surefire and and 74 rounds of ammo on the gun.

Edit: I also have a shoulder bag with eight loaded 30 round magazines hanging on a nail in the closet for an additional 224 rounds of ammo. The cell phone, additional Surefire, and G19 sit on the nightstand in a clip on Don Hume holster. The body armor is under the bed.

Paranoid? Who says I'm paranoid?

Jim
    Rigrat likes this.

P229R 40 in a quick access box in the nightstand. G21 in another box downstairs in the kitchen. Both with TLR3 weapon lights. 590A1 in the closet. Carry a G26.

Yes and no. My EDC is P228 which is in bed side holster (same as wife). Benelli shotgun under bed with oo buck). Primary is S&W revolver on nightstand. After initial shots my reload is the 228 or shotgun.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Why cant your carry gun also be your hd gun? Seems youre looking for an excuse to just buy another (cant blame you) :)

My main carry gun is a lcp. Hd gun full size m&p 9mm. I only have 2 because the m&p wasnt comfortable, easy, or necessary to carry all day every day. Will be buying a glock 19 and an AR eventually.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    To me, it's a money-thing. I think it's entirely reasonable to have a home-based handgun that is superior (to the task) than your carry. BUT, your carry gun really is a powerful tool, if it's up to the task outside, then it should be up to the task inside. If you're worried about home security (or the health of your family, which is a subset of home security to most people), then I think there're better things to spend your money on than a second gun. I'd rather have a second cellphone in the family than a second gun. I'd rather be wearing an armored vest than owning a second gun. I'd rather have motion-sensor lighting than a second gun. And, running on sheer statistics, I'd rather feed my family a diet higher in vegetables or run my daughter through a defensive-driving course than own a second gun.

The marginal benefit of a home-gased (second) pistol, to me, is a lot lower than its marginal cost.
    Most of those items go without saying (with an exception to the body armor), and I am very hopeful that no one on this forum has starved their children so that he or she could by a gun. But because the OP asked specifically about a second gun I will just make one point: many people have a second home based gun instead of relying on the CCW because it is *always* in one place, if I am not home then my wife can use it while my ccw is with me. My wife and children do not go with me to work, or travel with me for business trips, etc.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yes and no. My EDC is P228 which is in bed side holster (same as wife). Benelli shotgun under bed with oo buck). Primary is S&W revolver on nightstand. After initial shots my reload is the 228 or shotgun.
    You keep your wife in a bedside holster?

Spouse and I both keep our carry guns (Ruger SR9c, SA XD9sc & BUGs S&W 642 & Ruger LCP) with lights at bedside. Remington 870 is a step or two away.

Beretta PX4 9mm on night stand. LC9 for carry when I can. Employer has strict rules regarding carry so I only carry a fraction of the time. Also can use same ammo for both which is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have many other pistols to choose from for HD beyond my carry guns.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Have a tough time concealing my HD weapons. The carry gun just adds to the home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Most of those items go without saying (with an exception to the body armor), and I am very hopeful that no one on this forum has starved their children so that he or she could by a gun. But because the OP asked specifically about a second gun I will just make one point: many people have a second home based gun instead of relying on the CCW because it is *always* in one place, if I am not home then my wife can use it while my ccw is with me. My wife and children do not go with me to work, or travel with me for business trips, etc.
    I thought about putting in that caveat. Yes, having a second firearm available for your other family members really can come in handy. The ability to have a second member of your 'team' armed is certainly valuable.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Yes, I carry my LCP and my XD9SC is my HD.

The question was Do you have a seperate home gun for defense? In my case the answer is depends on where I am in the house. I've got a 12ga. here, a M4 here, a RugerP94 here and some others including my S&W .357 elsewhere. No kids in the house and the weapons are loaded and ready. I'm not paranoid, just trained and ready to protect myself and my wife.

sgb
    Yes and no. Yes, in as my carry gun is a Springfield Pro and my nightstand gun is a Kimber Warrior with attached TLE-1. No, as in they're both 1911's.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links