Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun? - Page 4

Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; - The G17 rarely goes on carry duty, so this is kept along with a back-up mag in the Gunvault in my bedside table when ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The G17 rarely goes on carry duty, so this is kept along with a back-up mag in the Gunvault in my bedside table when I'm home.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I carry a Glock 27 and have a Glock 20 for home defense. If I did not have kids at home, I would still carry the Glock 27, but would keep a long gun by the bed at night.

My house gun is a Glock 23 with Tru-Glow TFO's. My EDC is a Ruger LC9.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Most of those items go without saying (with an exception to the body armor), and I am very hopeful that no one on this forum has starved their children so that he or she could by a gun. But because the OP asked specifically about a second gun I will just make one point: many people have a second home based gun instead of relying on the CCW because it is *always* in one place, if I am not home then my wife can use it while my ccw is with me. My wife and children do not go with me to work, or travel with me for business trips, etc.

Well said, and the bolded is why I starting using a 9mm for HD instead of my .45s, so my wife is comfortable with it and able to shoot it well.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

G26/CBST for CCW and G17 always in FAS1 SAFE for my dedicated HD gun. Also have a couple spare mags with it as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I was wondering if this is the case with a lot of people. I am not refering to a shotgun either. I know that id the best choice for home defense. I am referring to handguns. I generally carry a Glock 27. But I was thinking of getting a Glock 23 or 22 for the house. Being a dedicated home defense weapon, I can leave a good rail light on it at all times. It will be close to my carry gun as they will have the same caliber, Glock trigger, and feel in my hand. Any thoughts?
    Yes. I carry a Kahr CW9 or a G19. I keep a G17 with a light for dedicated HD duty.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Yep ... I carry either a Springfield 1911 Micro-compact or CZ Rami, while my primary Home SD gun is my Ruger P345.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Well said, and the bolded is why I starting using a 9mm for HD instead of my .45s, so my wife is comfortable with it and able to shoot it well.

Chuck
    I carry a M&P40C but have two nightstand guns, my FNP-45 and a Taurus 24/7 9mm that my wife is comfortable using. I love using excuses to get more guns...

VIP Member
    Being a bit heavy for carry I just leave the Ma Deuce and M1919A1 at the house for HD duty and carry the M1911.

Actually the 1911 serves for both roles.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

RKM
    I usually do. I carry either G19, G30SF or J-frame. Kept a USP .45 for my HD gun. I've been having some issues with my HK. Plan on sending it in for some warranty work. So for now, the G19 is on HD duty.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I was wondering if this is the case with a lot of people. I am not refering to a shotgun either. I know that id the best choice for home defense. I am referring to handguns. I generally carry a Glock 27. But I was thinking of getting a Glock 23 or 22 for the house. Being a dedicated home defense weapon, I can leave a good rail light on it at all times. It will be close to my carry gun as they will have the same caliber, Glock trigger, and feel in my hand. Any thoughts?
    Good thinking. I generally carry either my Glock 26, PM9, or LCP - depending on attire and the situation.

My home defense handgun is a Glock 19, with a mounted light, night sights and CT laser. It is easier to get quickly out of the GunVault safe (we have kids) than the shotgun is to get out of the long gun safe. My wife also shoots the G19 VERY well. When we are all in the safe room (our bedroom) she gets the G19 and I get the shotgun out to cover the door.

Once she gets comfortable with my Glock 30, I might make that the home defense handgun - or not. I use my G30 mostly for duty use.

I have carried the G19 quite a bit in the past, but as my day-job needs are discreet, I generally carry the smaller guns.

A larger sibling for your G27 would be a very good idea.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    My EDC is close by on the nightstand along with several others including a shotty.
    SCGunLover1

My carry is a M&P 9c, a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry, or Ed Brown Kobra. Depends what I feel like that day. When I get in I use same gun on nightstand, and also a Browning shotgun nearby with 00 Buck.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

g'morning, coffee around:
    Am I missing something, but just why do you need night sights for use in a home? Most situations will occur in less than across a room distance.Surely you put in enough practice to hit consistantly in that distance by point shooting, no?? If not, the I suggest that either you get serious or invest in a guard dog. Practicing will cost nothing, just the use of a mirror for perhaps 15 minutes daily.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Carry is a Colt New Agent or M&P 340 in summer. Night stand has a Remington R1 Enhanced. On the wife's side is a Beretta 92FS Compact.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links