Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only one carry gun (Glock 23) but three home defense guns: Glock 23 Mossberg 500 Persuader SKS in tactical mode...

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Do have a saperate home defense gun from your carry gun?

Only one carry gun (Glock 23) but three home defense guns:

Glock 23
    Mossberg 500 Persuader
    SKS in tactical mode

2. Remove Ads

Yes and no. . .

I carry a S&W 442 with a crimson trace laser and 4 speed strips.

It stays next to my bed at night, but I also have speedy access to:

- A Marlin 1894CS loaded with .357 mags
    - A Springfield Micro .45 w/4 loaded (7 rnd) mags
    - A Ruger SP101 in .38, loaded plus 3 speed loaders
    - 3 Really good (bright) LED flashlights
    - A crazed 9 lb Yorkie. . .

pilgrimshooter likes this.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Carry = Beretta Nano = 6+1 rounds
    Home = S&W M&P9 = 17+1 rounds
    I prefer higher capacity when I don't have to carry it around IWB.
    Both loaded with 124gr Speer Gold Dots

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

I see a lot of handguns, but I primarily use my Mosin Nagant for home defense until Thursday. Thats when I bring home my new Savage/Stevens 230 Security pump.

Yep. I keep a FiveseveN loaded with Elite Ammunition Protector II rounds and a rail mounted light on my nightstand. Sometimes I keep a Marlin 336 in 30-30 or a 10.5" AR15 next to the bed as well. The neighborhood across mine had 8 break-ins (one very violent) in 6 months. Thats when the rifles took up duty. I rarely carry the FiveseveN, its a little big for me so it comes out in cool weather when I can easily wear a cover garment and then its OWB.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

I carry a Glock 27 and have a Glock 22 in our bedroom (my wife has access to it when I'm not around). I used to keep my P14-45 in the bedroom (it's locked but accessible downstairs now), but decided that in the middle of the night when I'm half-asleep and it's dark it, if I can't get my carry gun for some reason then it makes sense to have something familiar. Additionally, I can use the G22 magazines in the G27 if needed, which was a huge bonus from my perspective.

If you think that you might want to carry that spare pistol then the G23 might make sense. I like my G22 for what it is - primarily a home defense gun that I occasionally use with a thigh holster when shooting my M4.

A Remington 870 12 ga. 15 pellet 00 buckshot. Powerful LED flashlight parallel to barrel with remote switch on the slide. In cruiser mode.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    Yes and no. . .

I carry a S&W 442 with a crimson trace laser and 4 speed strips.

It stays next to my bed at night, but I also have speedy access to:

- A Marlin 1894CS loaded with .357 mags
    - A Springfield Micro .45 w/4 loaded (7 rnd) mags
    - A Ruger SP101 in .38, loaded plus 3 speed loaders
    - 3 Really good (bright) LED flashlights
    - A crazed 9 lb Yorkie. . .

Starts eating at the ankles, and works it's way up.

Once you fall down........ you don't want to think about it.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I carry a Sig 220 when in the winter & a Sig 229 in the summer. I use AR's for the house, one on each side of the bed with red dots & Streamlight TRL's LED. There's also night vision & body if needed

I carry smaller guns because I cannot comfortably conceal a full-sized pistol. My HD pistol is a S&W M&P9 that sleeps in a holster on my side of the bed. And all that is there for is to get me to my safe where my AR-15 is loaded up with 30 rounds of 62gr hollow points and a back-up mag of 30 62gr hollow points.

I was using my P-11 carry gun for my HD pistol until I bought the M&P9, which was originally going to be a range-only gun, until I saw how accurate I was with it and fell in love with 17+1 rounds without a reload.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I was wondering if this is the case with a lot of people. I am not refering to a shotgun either. I know that id the best choice for home defense. I am referring to handguns. I generally carry a Glock 27. But I was thinking of getting a Glock 23 or 22 for the house. Being a dedicated home defense weapon, I can leave a good rail light on it at all times. It will be close to my carry gun as they will have the same caliber, Glock trigger, and feel in my hand. Any thoughts?
    Sound choices all around. I personally like sticking to the same controls but just going up the full-size frame.

Not to mention using the same caliber and being able to use the full-size mags in your compact/sub-compact is a definite benefit.
    Toorop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I see a lot of handguns, but I primarily use my Mosin Nagant for home defense until Thursday. Thats when I bring home my new Savage/Stevens 230 Security pump.
    Interesting. I have a 91/30 and never thought of using it for HD mainly due to it's length and also because of it's bolt action, not to mention over-penetration possibilities.

Yes and no. Remington 870 for me, a S&W M&P for the wifey. Obviously my carry is not the 870.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    My usual carry is a Glock 19. My home defense gun is a Glock 17. I like to keep the guns similar and in the same caliber for ease of logistics. I do need a weapon light though. And I am thinking a Glock 34 might be a better fun for home defense. Now I just might have to buy one.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bpang1 View Post
    Sound choices all around. I personally like sticking to the same controls but just going up the full-size frame.

Not to mention using the same caliber and being able to use the full-size mags in your compact/sub-compact is a definite benefit.
    . This pretty much sums up my idea as well.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Links