Sig P226 German made what can you tell me?

This is a discussion on Sig P226 German made what can you tell me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just traded for a Sig P226 older one German made, I took it to the range and it really shoots great, I was wondering if ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sensei2
  • 1 Post By mcp1810

Thread: Sig P226 German made what can you tell me?

Just traded for a Sig P226 older one German made, I took it to the range and it really shoots great, I was wondering if I should know anything about it. It is an older one marked German made it does not have a rail.

Where can I fine info on maintenance for the P226, I am now thinking of a Sig in 45acp what do you recommend?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Just traded for a Sig P226 older one German made, I took it to the range and it really shoots great, I was wondering if I should know anything about it. It is an older one marked German made it does not have a rail.

Where can I fine info on maintenance for the P226, I am now thinking of a Sig in 45acp what do you recommend?
    Sig forum for all things Sig. By the way you got a great gun.

sgb
    Love the older P226's, I've got two. One made in '88 in West Germany and the other made in 92 in Germany. Great guns.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

the slides on current p-226's are machined from one block of stainless steel. on older p-226's the slides were formed from thick sheets of carbon steel, and the breech block pinned in afterwards. if there is a line across the top of your slide about 1/4" back from the breechface, than your p-226 was made in the older manner. this construction method is slightly weaker than the new way of making them, but nothing to really be concerned about in a 9mm weapon. even +P+ 9mm ammo should be fine. of course, carbon steel is more prone to rust than is stainless.

as for a .45ACP weapon, get a p-220. the same comments about the slide construction of the 226 apply to the 220. the oldest 220's imported here were labeled Browning BDA's, and had a European-style butt-heel mag release. later vintage 220's carry the Sig-Sauer name and have the mag release on the left side of the grip in the 'usual' location. early mags for the 220 were 7-rounders. first generation 8-round mags, without a plastic baseplate/bumper are considered marginally reliable when fully loaded (8-rounds). later 8 rounders, with black plastic baseplate/bumpers are fine.

imo, Sigs are great guns. i'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

p.s.: added bonus: almost any holster that will fit your p-226 will also fit a p-220. you will need different size mag pouches, though.
    Last edited by sensei2; June 4th, 2012 at 04:23 AM. Reason: adding comment about holsters
    QKShooter likes this.

Here's what you should know: You got an awesome firearm. Maybe buy a spring pack and swap out all the springs and shoot, enjoy, rinse and repeat.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Great gun (I own one), I've never shot one of their P220's, but I own a Sig 1911 and really like it as well.

My edc is a Sig P220 Carry......... It is a newer pistol, manufactured in Exeter, NH. I've got nearly 3,000 rounds through it in the past 18 months with no failures or problems. The Standard P220 has a 4.4in barrel and the "Carry" version has a 3.9. Both have full sized stocks and weigh about 30oz unloaded. It is a little heavier than some of the polymer pistols.....I also own a Glock 30sf. For comparison, the Glock has a 3.8in barrel and weighs 26.5oz unloaded. The Sig has a capacity of 8+1 and the Glock 10+1. The Glock is lighter and has higher capacity, but I personally shoot the Sig better at all distances. I mostly carry the Sig, and take the Glock camping.....

I have four Sigs.. Two made in Germany and two made in West Germany.
    Get the spring kit. When replacing the trigger bar spring you MUST do it as directed in the armorers manual or risk breaking the spring. It is not hard to do, just do the correct end first.
    For lube the flavor of choice is TW25B grease.
    The P226 is a fantastic pistol. The only problem with it is that one Sig its never enough. I thought mine was the last pistol I would buy. Then came a P228, a P220, and a P225.
    mr surveyor likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

One final thought...... You may not be ready for a detail strip of your Sig, they are more complicated than Glocks. There are dvd's available showing how you take apart the classic "P" series Sigs (i.e., P220, P226, P225, P228, P239), but it may be simpler just to send your pistol to Sig and have them perform a full maintenance service for $85.00. If you need new sights, you can get a full detail strip, replacement of all springs, an inspection of all parts AND new Sig sights for $145. Just a thought....

Sponsored Links