10mm thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10mm thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Availability of 10mm ammo is limited, by whether one has access to the internet. Cabela's: Handgun Ammunition 10mm Auto | Handgun Ammunition | Ammunition | ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 10mm thoughts?

Availability of 10mm ammo is limited, by whether one has access to the internet.

Cabela's: Handgun Ammunition

10mm Auto | Handgun Ammunition | Ammunition |

Hollow Point : Ammunition To Go

AMMOMAN.com. 10mm

10 MM | CENTERFIRE PISTOL | AMMUNITION | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

10mm Ammo | Bulk 10mm Auto Ammunition For Sale Cheap

The Hornady load I cited in my previous post produces about the same calculated recoil as a Glock 30 shooting 230 gr. Ranger T

Compared to my Glock 27 and 23 (40 S&W) loaded with "hot" 155 Gold Dot, the 29SF with "average" Hornady 155 produces 21% - 16% more KE (power)

If you base you handgun purchases on whether you can go to the local mart and find a selection of ammo the 10mm is not for you.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have no problem finding ammo (all my LGS's carry it), but it is pricey.

My problem is that since it's expensive, I don't shoot it enough to get really good with it. I got it to use as a 'hog gun', but find that I still carry .45 ACP in the woods, just because I'm more accurate with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldeTsgt View Post
    Hey Ya'll I am thinking that I might get a 10mm to carry as a hiking gun (general use including defensive) and perhaps as a house gun - thoughts on this?
    it sounds like a good idea

I think it really is an ideal gun for hiking. I know most people disagree, but when dealing with a bear I will want to put a lot of bullets into the air very quickly. Animals move unpredictably and, up close, are hard to properly target. "Shot placement matters", but with a bear the best way (imo) to get a good shot placement is to put a lot of shots on target.

SD against people is much different, because the odds of having to worry about stray shots is much higher. You're shooting at a plane more likely to be parallel with the ground (instead of angled downwards) and there's a stronger likelihood of people (or property) being behind a badguy than behind (and below) a bear.

It's what I'm thinking of using, too. I'd also consider a .44 magnum but, honestly, the weight concerns me.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I bought a Glock 20SF last year to carry as a back up for when I go hunting. It's a comforting side arm for being in the woods with bear.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Availability of 10mm ammo is limited, by whether one has access to the internet.

Cabela's: Handgun Ammunition

10mm Auto | Handgun Ammunition | Ammunition |

Hollow Point : Ammunition To Go

AMMOMAN.com. 10mm

10 MM | CENTERFIRE PISTOL | AMMUNITION | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

10mm Ammo | Bulk 10mm Auto Ammunition For Sale Cheap

The Hornady load I cited in my previous post produces about the same calculated recoil as a Glock 30 shooting 230 gr. Ranger T

Compared to my Glock 27 and 23 (40 S&W) loaded with "hot" 155 Gold Dot, the 29SF with "average" Hornady 155 produces 21% - 16% more KE (power)

If you base you handgun purchases on whether you can go to the local mart and find a selection of ammo the 10mm is not for you.
    The cheapest I could find on Cabelas was 300 rounds for 199.99. Hell those are higher then rifle round prices....... Enjoy your 10mm....
    marcclarke likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I was considering a Glock 29, because I always wanted a 10mm, but after doing some goggling I found the .460 Rowland, and decided to purchase a Glock 30 with the intent of getting a .460 Rowland conversion. A 185 grain hollowpoint traveling at 1500fps? Yes please! A production 180gr 10mm bullet(Buffalo Bore) is listed around 1330fps. Or how about a .460 Rowland 230 grain hollowpoint at 1300fps instead of 900fps? Smoking!!

Sorry, back to the 10mm conversation...

Quote Originally Posted by OldeTsgt View Post
    Hey Ya'll I am thinking that I might get a 10mm to carry as a hiking gun (general use including defensive) and perhaps as a house gun - thoughts on this?
    I think a Glock 29 would make a nice trail gun. Ten rounds of Buffalo Bore 180gr; around 1300fps from a four inch barrel, is roughly 600ft pounds of energy per bullet,(if my math is correct).
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    The cheapest I could find on Cabelas was 300 rounds for 199.99. Hell those are higher then rifle round prices....... Enjoy your 10mm....
    Ammoman has "cheap" 10mm; they show $400 for 1,000 rounds of 180 JHP delivered. AMMOMAN.com. 10mm Prvi Partisan 180 GRAIN JACKETED HOLLOW POINT

I handload the Hornady 155 XTP to duplicate the factory velocity of 1,278 fps; when I use new Starline brass my cost is about $25 for 50 rounds.

I did not buy the 29SF because I thought it would be cheap to shoot. (Would just stick with 9mm if cheap practice was my sole concern)

Compare the price of the 10mm to other rounds like the .357 Mag, .357 Sig, 41 Mag: performance co$t.

No, the 10mm is not for everyone (2nd time I'm saying this) and the 45 acp or 40 S&W are likely just as good for SD against human attackers.

However, when it comes to KE the 45 and 40 S&W do not generate as much as the 10mm in it's full power loadings. Whether the extra power is worth the extra co$t depends. I'm not giving it a glowing endorsement by any means. Oh, I like the .357 Sig too (sucker for niche calibers).
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Ammoman has "cheap" 10mm; they show $400 for 1,000 rounds of 180 JHP delivered. AMMOMAN.com. 10mm Prvi Partisan 180 GRAIN JACKETED HOLLOW POINT

I handload the Hornady 155 XTP to duplicate the factory velocity of 1,278 fps; when I use new Starline brass my cost is about $25 for 50 rounds.

I did not buy the 29SF because I thought it would be cheap to shoot. (Would just stick with 9mm if cheap practice was my sole concern)

Compare the price of the 10mm to other rounds like the .357 Mag, .357 Sig, 41 Mag: performance co$t.

No, the 10mm is not for everyone (2nd time I'm saying this) and the 45 acp or 40 S&W are likely just as good for SD against human attackers.

However, when it comes to KE the 45 and 40 S&W do not generate as much as the 10mm in it's full power loadings. Whether the extra power is worth the extra co$t depends. I'm not giving it a glowing endorsement by any means. Oh, I like the .357 Sig too (sucker for niche calibers).
    By the way don't take my replies as being adversarial to 10mm, if you hand load that you don't have the same issues. I took a look at your link and don't see any 10mm for sale on that site at all.

AMMOMAN.com. 10mm
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Call me paranoid, or perhaps I live in a weird state. I see the 10mm may work in certain areas, for hiking and bears. I find this round odd for me, like right in the middle. I carry a .45 or 9 mm. NOW, when I am in the woods I tote along a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan carrying 454 Casull. Our bears bite back.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Underwood Ammo is full power and not expensive. You can buy 180G GD JHP for about 30 bucks at it's chronoed at 1300 FPS . Georgia arms sell FMJ 180g for 20 bucks per 50@ 1100 FPS. That's not too expensive IMO

IMHO, the excuse that 10mm is hard to find or is too expensive is a myth.

I own 9 10MM pistols, 2 Glocks, 4 10xx series Smith and Wessons and 3 Delta Elites. It is the best kept secret in the handgun world IMO.
    JORZAC likes this.

I've been considering getting in on the 10mm thing. I found a Glock 20 for $600 at the local PX....but it was the ammo that blew me away! 20 rounds of Corbon Hunting 200 grain for $42!!! WHAT??? .50 AE is cheaper than that in these parts! Now, a 200 grain .40 bullet traveling 1,300 fps and delivering 750 ft-lbs sounds mighty nice...but damn that's a hefty price! I know I can find the Glock for cheaper at a off-post gunstore with the Glock military discount and I'm sure ammo can be found on the net for cheaper...but still! I'm not one for reloading and as most of you know, the military will not make you rich! And to make things worse, I'm considering the Colt Delta Elite instead of a Glock 20, which I KNOW is more expensive!!! My wife is gonna kill me......LOL
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Go for it!! The 10mm is on my short list of, "Guns to get". It will make a great HD gun and or a woods gun. From my understanding of it, the gist about the 10mm has been sufficiently covered;

1.) Awesome woods gun that can fend off bears and take down hogs - has power comparable of a .41 Mag IF you get it in the right loads, so be weary and make sure you're not buying glorified .40 S&W rounds.

2.) Pricey ammo, so either stock up when you can find good deals on the internet or reload.

3.) High/er capacity makes this an excellent alternative to the big revolvers like .357 & .44 Mags.

Please keep us up to date and let us know if you get one.

Buy 10mm ammo from Underwood Ammo. Full power and very good prices. I own 9 10mm autoloaders. Best caliber out there for SD and small to mid size game.

Underwood Ammo Web Site - Home

Just visited one of the better local gunshops. They carry 10mm ammo but no 10mm handguns. Said they quit trying to order Colt Delta Elite's because they would never come in. Said they never get Glock 20's either. No 10mm's period.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links