10mm thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10mm thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Ya'll I am thinking that I might get a 10mm to carry as a hiking gun (general use including defensive) and perhaps as a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 10mm thoughts?

10mm thoughts?

Hey Ya'll I am thinking that I might get a 10mm to carry as a hiking gun (general use including defensive) and perhaps as a house gun - thoughts on this?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I have a G-20 that I sometimes wear when I'm inspecting my property on horseback. It's big and heavy, but that don't bother me as I'm not hiking. Love to shoot old dead logs with it and watch them turn to wood dust. It's my fun gun and not an EDC though. Ammunition is not cheap locally, but you can get good deals on the net.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I have a Glock 20 for home defense. I also have a Lone Wolf 40 S&W barrel for it. For concealed carry, the Glock 20 is a bit large. Still, some can do it. I have, but it is not ideal.

I have a couple inside the waistband holsters that work with the Glock 20. The problem I see is the grip is large and I need a good over garment to hide it. Additionally, the Glock 20 is long enough that movement can be tough and sitting in a vehicle may be tight.

I an not tall and very tall guys may have no problems concealing the larger gun.

In a standard open carry, the Glock 20 is perfect.

You can look at the Glock 29 if you want to go concealed with a 10mm. Again, you can get a 40 S&W conversion barrel.

Most loads for the 10mm are not as hot as the original Norma stuff from years ago. Most you find reasonably priced in stores are close to the 40 S&W in performance, but more expensive. Hotter loads can be found at specialty prices and you could load your own if you are so inclined.

My usually carry gun is a Glock 27. It works well as a concealed carry. I switch to the Glock 20 in the evening at home.
    sheepdog37 likes this.

The 10mm looks like a really practical pistol cartridge on the potent end of the scale. It's a good candidate for a practical "one size fits all" for most reasonable handgun uses. A handloader could have a ball with the round. Ought to be more popular than it is. I'm hoping to get one someday. I'd love to put it up against the .41 Magnum over the chronograph screens just to see how close it could get to the performancee of that great revolver cartridge.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

i second Scottie659's comments about the two power levels of 10mm ammo. when the FBI adopted 10mm for its agents, they considered it too powerful, and the agency asked for a reduced power load. others (S&W?) saw that this lowered power could be had in a shortened cartridge, and .40S&W was developed. the .40 would fit in 9mm size guns, rather than needing a longer .45ACP length package. as Scottie659 said, there are now both levels of 10mm ammo available from commercial makers, and you will have to actually check the manufacturers' specifications to see whether a particular load is full power or reduced (.40S&W level) power. i believe that the original Norma loads called for a 200 grain bullet at 1200fps, which is close to .41Magnum specs. in full power mode, and with the right bullets (hard cast solids, imo), it should be a perfect gun for hiking in bear country. loaded with the aforementioned solids, it's probably about the best available semi-auto bear defense cartridge. check the Buffalo Bore and Double Tap catalogs. for home defense and concealed carry purposes i recommend conventional JHP's.
    remington79 likes this.

Good caliber...

I got the 10mm Colt Gold Cup below about 12 years ago and have shot it periodically at the range over that time. I have never carried it, but it has served as a home defense gun. The gun has been absolutely reliable, never jamming for me, and it seems to be quite accurate. The 10mm recoil is very reasonable in this 38 ounce gun with a dual spring recoil system.

The practice ammo is expensive, however, and that probably limits how often I shoot it. I have bought 10mm on the Internet from Georgia Arms, which generally has this caliber in stock. The ballistics are good enough that 10mm to me seems to be in the same league with .357 or .41 magnum.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    To me it's a gimmicky cool round. Just not enough benifet for me to even consider it. The cost to shoot it and availability is poor.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

performs at 100yrd (energy/fps) like 45 acp at muz....legal for hunting in Washington...shoots through car doors and glass as if they where not there...whats not to like is cost of store bought ammunition...some pistols have hi-cap magazines...I like Eaa witness stock 1...Norway or Sweden (maybe Finland) issues 10mm glocks to employee's for polar bear...

If you want an interesting..relatively uncommon firearm for range fun, or home defensive...GO for it!. For me..a .40 S&W, or a .45 ACP is more my cup of tea.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Quote Originally Posted by OldeTsgt View Post
    Hey Ya'll I am thinking that I might get a 10mm to carry as a hiking gun (general use including defensive) and perhaps as a house gun - thoughts on this?
    My thoughts? 10mm is intriguing. That's about the jest of it. Finding and buying ammo? Makes it less attractive IMO.

For a trail gun, a G20 will pretty much be indestructable and should be able to take care of anything you needed to shoot in the woods.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have a 10mm Colt Delta Elite. I love it, but I reload. All things considered, I believe it is an awesome handgun round for almost any purpose. It's only shortcoming is ammo availability and cost for those who don't reload. Otherwise it is right there with the 357 and 45ACP for a solid, all purpose round. It does everything a 40&W can do plus a lot more.

I work with a guy who carries this solely. He's shot a coyote with it in the woods. Everything I've tells me it's the gun to carry if I lived down south or out west. I watch one of those trooper shows on Animal Planet a couple of months ago. They had a call where two moose were attacking a guys dog. He ended up shooting both of them with a Glock variant. The owner rightly so was all shaken up, the trooper showed the gun and magazine. He had rounds still in the mag and two dead moose where he shot them at. I thought about getting one myself. I couldn't find anything really locally at the regular outdoor places. I would really consider it if I ran into hogs ever. I can't imagine what it would do.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    My 10mm thoughts?
    When I carry my Glock 29 SF I'm protected by multiple rounds of 155 gr. Hornady XTP that chronographed an average 1,278 fps / 562# KE.
    I think I'm fairly well protected.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by ramitupurs84 View Post
    I work with a guy who carries this solely. He's shot a coyote with it in the woods. Everything I've tells me it's the gun to carry if I lived down south or out west. I watch one of those trooper shows on Animal Planet a couple of months ago. They had a call where two moose were attacking a guys dog. He ended up shooting both of them with a Glock variant. The owner rightly so was all shaken up, the trooper showed the gun and magazine. He had rounds still in the mag and two dead moose where he shot them at. I thought about getting one myself. I couldn't find anything really locally at the regular outdoor places. I would really consider it if I ran into hogs ever. I can't imagine what it would do.
    This, so much this

If i move to out to Montana, it be be a 10mm, 44 mag, or a .357mag, simple because of the grizzlies and moose that you can run into in the woods, and because its hard to fish with a 12 gauge

The 10mm looks better because you can carry more rounds and easier reloads

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links