Smith & Wesson M & P - casings flying in face

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson M & P - casings flying in face within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So today at the range I rented an M & P 9mm subcompact to see how I liked it (to potentially purchase a Shield). Most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson M & P - casings flying in face

Smith & Wesson M & P - casings flying in face

So today at the range I rented an M & P 9mm subcompact to see how I liked it (to potentially purchase a Shield). Most of the ejected casings flew back into my face/eyes instead of flying out the side. It was very annoying. So for those of you that have M&Ps, which M&P do you have and does this happen with your gun? I'd dump my Springfield XD for an M&P except for this issue. I shot so much better with the M&P.

Is this an old issue that has been fixed in newer models?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I was training a lady to shoot the full size M&P 9 today and while standing next to her the shells hit me and only me. Maybe change the way you grip the gun or position your head. It's hard to tell you what to do without seeing it happen. Maybe go shooting with a friend and he/she can tell you what's happening.

VIP Member
    I have owned several and not one of them did that.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

We have 4 M&P40 full size and one M&P40c and none do this, plus a friend has both a M&P9c & full size and neither do it.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    It is a rented gun. Don't expect it to run like if it was one of your own guns. Could be a bad ejector, bad magazine or the gun just needs a good cleaning. I have two M&Ps and don't have any ejection issues.

Thank you! Good to know. I was hitting the center at 30 feet easily with it. Will have to buy one.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I have the 45fs and 9c and both run flawlessly.
    As others have said, it may just be a well abused range rental.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I have the m&p9c and the spent casings eject out to the right. Ive had a time getting used to my m&p but its coming around now that Ive changed my grip and have been working with snap caps dry firing. Tho I do have the xdsc 9mm and I shoot better with that one maybe its just broke in better. But anyway Im liking my m&p9c better with each range trip. good luck with wich ever you choose they will be both good guns.

I have the m&p 9c and 45fs and love both. No issues with casings unless I'm tight in the "shooting booth" and the shells are reflecting off the bullet resistant glass on the sides. That would be normal though!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Make sure the centerline of your wrist is behind the centerline of the gun when shooting it. I have seen small handed shooters in the past grip a gun in a way that gives them the best purchase of their finger on the trigger, but their wrist centerline is rolled off to the side of the grip somewhat causing the gun to recoil up to the 10:00 direction instead of straight up. The somewhat sideways recoil direction will tend to cause brass to leave the gun seemingly vertically instead of sideways over the shoulder.

If you do have a proper grip as described above, brass that leaves the gun vertically can be caused by an ejector tip that is contacting the back of the brass too low.
    9MMare likes this.

i just got my M&P 9mm full size 4.25 barrel. it ejects the shells at 6'oclock right in my face, even burned my wife's chest with a hot casing... I'm really annoyed with this issue... I watched when she was shooting and you could see the casing just flying right back at the shooter.. granted we are both new to hand guns but no one else I know has this issue ... but i sure as heck do!! and its really annoying when buying a new gun to have issues.. I'm also having issues with it misfeeding.. sigh..

Distinguished Member
    I have the M&P40c and used to have an M&P45 full size. Neither comes back at me. My 40c actually throws them quite far backwards at about the 4 o'clock position.

A good suggestion for anyone having the straight back ejection issue is to find someone who has the same gun and see if you can fire it and see if it does it and have that someone fire yours to see if it does it to them. If it doesn't do it to you on their gun, then it may be your gun's fault. If the other person can shoot your gun and it doesn't do it for them, it is likely your fault (like gigamortis talks about).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I have the M&P40c and used to have an M&P45 full size. Neither comes back at me. My 40c actually throws them quite far backwards at about the 4 o'clock position.

A good suggestion for anyone having the straight back ejection issue is to find someone who has the same gun and see if you can fire it and see if it does it and have that someone fire yours to see if it does it to them. If it doesn't do it to you on their gun, then it may be your gun's fault. If the other person can shoot your gun and it doesn't do it for them, it is likely your fault (like gigamortis talks about).
    thanks ill try that, The girl at the range said all M&P's do that when I asked her about it... Kind of odd... hmm..

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorlay View Post
    thanks ill try that, The girl at the range said all M&P's do that when I asked her about it.
    Then she is not experienced with them, except perhaps at the range. But I guess she could have been exposed to some others and just had grip problems as well. Who knows. I've heard others experience the same issue but I also have never experienced it with mine.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I tried a full size M&P (the other day was the sub compact), same problem. Never happens with my XD, XDsc, or my Ruger LCP. I started flinching my head big time, so I'll stick with the Springfields.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links