Let's discuss the Kimber Solo

This is a discussion on Let's discuss the Kimber Solo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this site by searching the Kimber Solo and this is my 2nd post. I have a caulk gun full of Neosporin if I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Let's discuss the Kimber Solo

Let's discuss the Kimber Solo

I found this site by searching the Kimber Solo and this is my 2nd post. I have a caulk gun full of Neosporin if I get flammed :).

So I get my CPL on Thursday. The only pistol I currently own is a SA 9mm XDM service model. I am a big guy, 6'7'' so a IWB fits me nicely. I love the SA stuff. I've been waiting for the XDS to come out and sadly I don't have a lot of faith it will be this summer. So I literally created a spreadsheet on about 10 hand guns I've handled (PM9, CM9, SW J-Frame 642, Shield, P238, P938, Kimber Ultra Carry II, SA XDM & XD compact..etc.) so I can compare. I've rated each category based on what is intrinsically important to me. Specially, conceivability in cargo shorts, magazine composition (metal) and the round (I like 9mm, and own enough of it lol) and price point (best bang for the buck).

So I was molesting my buddy's P238 yesterday BSing about the above. He being the Kimber nut; he suggested I should look at the Kimber Solo. So I checked out and thought man, that's beautiful. Opened another browser window and saw the horror in the reviews. Granted the dates of the posts were from early 2011 when it hit the market. Looks like after the shot show.

Has the problem cleared up yet? Or is it still a 1-2 send backs before it's a shooter? I know alot of people were disappointed as I would be to spend $700 on a beautiful piece to have it be a unreliable? If I put it on my spreedsheet it would stomp out the competition if it had a lemon free history (noted that every model of any maker has them, but like this one). Anyone bought them recently and have kind words or random review for me?

Anyone know what the Kimber warranty is?

2. Remove Ads

I did some more finite searching, read maybe close to 30 pages worth of responses on various threads on the subject...prolly why I have 58 views :).

Seems like I can correlate to better quality and correct ammo usage to later guns = minimal issues. So about right? Also what is this Kimber II finish or whatever it's called..is it a tough finish?

It's overpriced Kimber bling. There are plenty of other better micro 9 choices.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Lets not...
    Burns likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

OK, quick..... someone put the lid back on the open can of worms!!!!
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

I've had several 9mm's and currently have a M&P Shield to go along with my Kimber Solo CDP. I have had ZERO issues so far with the Kimber Solo. No misfires, FTE's or anything of the sort. While I only have a few hundred rounds through it, I don't have any reason to doubt it's reliability so far. The Shield has also performed well. YMMV

VIP Member
    I decided that it offered nothing over my trusted PM9, so it's not for me.

However, I'm a firm believer in getting what you want. Some who will tell you that it's over-priced, also own 1911's that they paid over 3K for.

I've never purchased a premium-priced firearm that I've regretted. I can't say the same for when I've cheaped-out.

cj
    LGS just got two in and I got to fondle one. Love the feel, although it was fairly stiff (not unexpected in a new pistol). Wonderful trigger for that style...for now I've got my Shield but I'll be keeping an eye on the Solo over the next few years to see how it fares longer term.

You'll find a lot of complaints online about Kimbers in general. A lot of them are unfounded, some aren't. Having owned a Kimber and not having 1 single issue I'll say go for it if it pleases you. Take what you read online with a very small grain of salt.

from Buds Gun Shop.com

Kimber Solo $699
    Kahr CM 9 $399

no further discussion required.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    from Buds Gun Shop.com

Kimber Solo $699
    Kahr CM 9 $399

no further discussion required.
    That's like comparing an apple to a chainsaw. Solo has SA trigger. CM9 has a LOOOONG DAO trigger. Kimber is aluminum alloy, CM9 is polymer. Kimber rounds the edges on the Solo, kind of a "carry melt" the CM9 is much sharper on its edges.

The PM9 would be much closer to the Kimber (and still not the same in a lot of ways) and is $708 similarly equipped to the Solo.
    FuneralDude likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Having considered the Kimber SOLO on several occasions, I simply can not justify the expense. All too often I think many people - myself included - get caught up in brand names rather than to overall quality vs. cost delima. I remember wanting a 1911A1. All suggestions pointed to two brands hands down. The one I chose, which was not recomended too highly, was a Springfield. Now I could not be more happy. Nor could my billfold... Saved about $400.00 and still got exactally what I wanted in performance and overall operation.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I love my XDM. It's reliable as all get out. Personally, I own many manufactures. I don't really have a dog in the fight when it really boils down to it. I like the little things the Solo has. I also get excited about the XDS too. I like a all metal gun like the solo. I think I'll wait and shoot both at a gun shop.

Distinguished Member
    Over priced for what it is, really!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Some people have good luck with them, many don't. My local shop tells me that most of them they sell come back with problems, and they've sold a bunch. That's pretty telling, IMHO.

Take a look at the new Shield.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links