Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield. - Page 2

Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield.

This is a discussion on Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the shield is not a pocket gun. i would only carry it on a strong side holster or the running holster (similar to a belly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield.

the shield is not a pocket gun. i would only carry it on a strong side holster or the running holster (similar to a belly band) from pistol wear.

try the LCR. the trigger is a lot better than a J-frame. the LCR (and the J-frame) is easy to pocket carry.

i would only carry the M&P compact in a strong side holster. although it will fit in the running holster from PW, i think it is too big and you can easily see that something is in your waistline with thin workout gear. it is also unnecessarily heavy to jog with.

jogging with the LCR or LCP is easy.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    My J-Frame is currently for sale because I never use it or carry it. I fell into the idea that everyone had to have one, well I had one - now someone else can try it. :)

For me pocket carry is a last ditch thing, and therefore is best done with a last ditch gun - which is my Taurus TCP - great point and shoot pistol with a nice trigger and 7 rounds of .380 at my disposal.

I have the Shield (love it) and just ordered the M&P 9C to go with it, used to have Kahr's and even they were too bulky for pocket carry in my opinion.

KSP
    My vote is j frame and shield. J frame goes everywhere, and shield would be so much easier to iwb.

J frame airweight

If you can have 3 handguns on your permit, I believe that one of them should be an airweight J frame. I have the model 642, which weighs 15 ounces empty, and it is the most useful, concealable gun I have. It carries well in a pocket, IWB or ankle holster, and never prints with boot grips.

You might also consider whether the S&W Shield is readily available in CA. I looked on the CA DOJ list of approved guns, and could not find it listed.

Pistology likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    For me pocket carry is a last ditch thing, and therefore is best done with a last ditch gun - which is my Taurus TCP - great point and shoot pistol with a nice trigger and 7 rounds of .380 at my disposal.

I have the Shield (love it) and just ordered the M&P 9C to go with it, used to have Kahr's and even they were too bulky for pocket carry in my opinion.
    yup, i thought kahr would be the pocket 9mm solution for me, but its too bulky.

380 and good ammo is my pocket carry.

i'd like to try out the shield in 9mm as soon as more become available.

+1 on the M&Pc in .40 and the J frame; I love my .40c but keep trying to sneak the J frame out of the house when my .5 isn't looking. Yes, I need another J frame...lol
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    All choices are nice but for the sake of simplicity and convenience, I would keep a J-frame in my cache. A nice 442, 642, 637 etc with a speed strip with spare ammo is a pretty darn good combo.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

68d0df49.jpg

I almost exclusively carry the M&P360. It is extremely light and with the 3" barrel I have a fighting chance of hitting what I aim at. (The grips are from a Model 60 Pro Series) The P-01 gets carried occasionally but mostly serves bedside duty...

I am a big fan of the j-frames.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

I would vote for a j frame. They are light and give you many options for concealed carry; pocket, iwb, ankle. They do take some practice to get proficient, though. They can kick hard, depending on what load you shoot, and can be harder to control. I am very fond of my SW 638 airweight.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

RKM
    I adore my J-frame. I can only pocket carry at work. I've tried a few different pocket guns. They were either too heavy or unreliable. The J-frame is light and reliable. Fits in the pocket of my work pants, holds 5 round of stout .38spl +P (as opposed to typical .380 pocket pistols).

The Shield could be pocket carried but that depends of your pockets, and of course, your idea of comfort.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The sheild is NOT a small pistol. It would not make a good pocket gun unless you wearing cargo pants. I would look at a 38 sp revolver also but would look to pick up a ultra light revolver in the 16 oz class or lighter . Different trigger pull than your M&P but fits the need for light weight pocket carry way better. And used would save you some money and maybe get you into the more costly scandium or titanium class revolvers at a bargin price.

Well the love for the j frame continues throughout this thread which is awesome because they have always had some kind of cool allure to me and this just reassured my thoughts on getting one. I'd love an m&p 340 jframe, but I'm not sure it's worth the money over the simple 642/442. I'll have to figure that one out and browse prices.

Now the only thing to decide is M&P Compact vs Shield. I'm 80% towards the compact on this one because of the fact that it can take it's big brothers magazines, the length of the grip which seems like its the hardest part for me to conceal instead of the width, and the fact that when I want a larger gun than a jframe it would be nice to step up to 10+1 instead of 7/8+1. Although I have never owned a single stack pistol, so I really don't know the comfort of it inside the waistband and if it is worth the things I lose by going with the shield. I just feel as if I couldn't carry my m&p compact in the waist, then the j frame would be in the pocket that day.

I really appreciate everyone's help to a nooby like me here. First post and I get 2 pages worth of responses. Reminds me why I've lurked here for so long. Your a great bunch of people!

I know I'm going to get flamed for typing this, but, I will never again carry a revolver. For me, the bulge of the cylinder bugs me, but, worse than that, I've had 4 revolvers lock up on me. 2 were S&Ws, and 2 were Rugers. Even though I still keep a couple of revolvers for hunting, that's all I use them for.

I own M&Ps, but, have them tricked out for USPSA and IDPA. When my M&P .40 was "stock" I carried it a little, and unless you dress around it, it does print.

A friend of mine carried his M&P compact regularly, until he got a Shield. Now, he carries the Shield all of the time.

Ok I'm really stuck between 2 guns now. I've decided I DO want a jframe for my pocket, so now I only have 1 more gun to add. Shield or M&P compact. This is a hard one. My full size will get stuck on nightstand duty with occasional carry out in the woods, but the J frame and the Compact OR Shield will be the main pistols carried, most likely iwb or possibly sometimes on the ankle. The compact has more rounds, fits my current Theis holster for my large m&p and shares the same magazines, but the shield seems to be so slim and would probably feel great iwb. Should I just go for the compact and when I can't carry that, throw on the j frame? Or is there any proponents here for going for the shield and buying new magazines for the slimness factor? Thanks all.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    With a 3 gun limit, I'd get an M&P Shield. Concealability is #1. If you can't hide it, you won't carry it. In CA, you "really" need to hide it. I lived there for 35 years, those folks will think it's another nine-eleven if they see a gun.

The M&P Shield is a very very nice little pistol. There are those who say it can't be pocket carried but I have one in my right front pocket right this second in a DeSantis SuperFly holster. It's been there for days. Will it fit in the pocket of skin tight jeans, heck no. But go to BassPro and get some comfort fit jeans and it slides right there and carries all day, no muss, no fuss. In a SuperTuck it's thin enough to hide under an untucked T-shirt or Polo shirt. My buddy who is a lot bigger than I am appendix carries his under untucket shirts but at 5'-8" and 170 lbs, that doesn't work for me.

The Shield has an excellent trigger, is remarkably sweet to shoot for it's size, and a quarter inch thinner than my Glock 26. Highly recommended.

The LCP isn't legal in CA, and isn't likely to be in this life, which is a shame. If they were, I'd recommend one of those as the third gun. LCP and the P3AT are the guns you can always hide.

If one of the micro .380's has a magazine disconnect I'd take a look at one of those. I think Kahr is making a CA legal version of the PM9 which you might want to take a look at. I'm not a fan of Kahr triggers but they are concealable guns.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links