Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield.

This is a discussion on Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd go for the compact myself. Not having to buy another holster helps out financially. You can stick the full size mags in it if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield.

I'd go for the compact myself. Not having to buy another holster helps out financially. You can stick the full size mags in it if you want. And its the same gun as the full size. To me it's a no brainer. I do the same with my Glocks.
    Question Everything!

2. Remove Ads

I'm a fan of the Shield. Fantastic IWB Gun with a great factory trigger and sights. Good points others have made on the Compact and J, but IMHO not as good a solution for all-day IWB carry as the Shield.

Tommato

I own 8 M&Ps and 2 FNX. Three of the M&Ps are compacts and two Shields. I don't like IWB carry...just my preference. In the winter I carry my full size firearms or my mid-size 45. In the summer I carried my compacts but would print on occasion. The Shield has completely eliminated the printing issue. I'm 6' 2" and 200 lbs. In the summer I wear shorts and Ts or polos with a basic flat belt OWB Nylon holster from Blackhawk. Can't tell I'm even carrying. Love it!!

Shield is an excellant pocket carry or IWB. The trigger on the Shield is much more crisp than my other M&P's. I reccomend it over the other choices OP mentioned. If I could find one in .40, I would get one for me since I like the wife's so much.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

You may want to go with a LCR for pocket carry and a shield for IWB

I currently have a M&P45C that is my favorite, but after holding a shield and practicing
    Drawing from a pocket with a shield, I would keep it for IWB only.

The shield will fit in some pockets....... But drawing quickly is another matter

The LCR comes out MUCH faster than the CM9 that I currently pocket carry.

The shield is bigger than the CM9
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Well I finally bought a 642-1 no lock today for $339. It was a tough call, but considering the shields are hard to find right now and the price/allure of the snubby, I decided on the j-frame. Like you guys said, everyone should own at least one. I still havnt decided on the third gun, but it's probably going to be the m&p compact or possibly a glock 20. I really appreciate all the help this forum has provided me!

Now does anyone have any suggestions for a minimalist pocket holster, iwb holster, and ankle holster for the J frame? Maybe a remora for a combo pocket/iwb or is that normally too bulky? Opinions?

Remora for IWB
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Hey intensity. I know it's past voting time but when you get the scratch for the next one.....ive had a 40 Shield for a month now. Starting to really love it. You alone can decide the single/double stack thing. If I could only have a single stack with a capacity of 3....that'd drive me towards double. With the 40 I've got 7 +1 in the extended mag. I don't plan on staying around much after that. Add the other mag and that's 6 more. Personal decision but that ought to do me. And the single is made for a comfortable, clean IWB with reasonable weight. I haven't settled on my "investment" holster yet. I grabbed a cheap Desantis the day I bought the Shield and it's doing well enough given the size and weight of the Shield that it's allowing me time to shop.

Good grab on the 38. For pocket carry, and to me that's a trip to the store, any pocket holster that grabs you. The Remora can suit pocket, iwb and between the seat and console. But I look at iwb in 6 hour increments for my 638. If I'm thinking half a day then a single belt kydex works for me. After that it fatigues a bit. Comptac used to make one called a shirt Tucker and I love mine. Of course, they don't seem to make anything for wheel guns anymore the buggers. Longer carry
    periods, there's no doubt that a double clip rig like Crossbreed or Minotaur are much more comfortable. The rigging, adjusting of this style is a bit of a hassle though. Right now I'm taking a hard look at the Silent Thunder Fusion. The leather/kydex combo approach seems to make a world of sense to me.

Good luck mi amigo.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

[QUOTE=svgheartland;2296242]Hey intensity. I know it's past voting time but when you get the scratch for the next one.....ive had a 40 Shield for a month now. Starting to really love it. You alone can decide the single/double stack thing. If I could only have a single stack with a capacity of 3....that'd drive me towards double. With the 40 I've got 7 +1 in the extended mag. I don't plan on staying around much after that. Add the other mag and that's 6 more. Personal decision but that ought to do me. And the single is made for a comfortable, clean IWB with reasonable weight. I haven't settled on my "investment" holster yet. I grabbed a cheap Desantis the day I bought the Shield and it's doing well enough given the size and weight of the Shield that it's allowing me time to shop.

--------------------------------

Totally agree. On my back home from Florida as we speak. I own 8 M&Ps to include the Shield in 9 and 40. I took the Shield 9 down with me along with the Galco King Tuc IWB I had for my M&P compacts. Fits the Shield better. I didn't take it off the entire time I was there except to sleep and shower. The Shield is an awesome conceal carry firearm...it was no different than me carrying a wallet...didn't even notice it. Have 3 extended mags but only had the one in the Shield. If something happened 8 rounds is enough and if it's not you are in some deep s@#t.

No one mentioned it so I'll ask the stupid question.
    Can you not revise the guns on your permit?
    If you can update the permit buy the combo that seems right today. Try it out and if you don't like it sell something and try again.
    I'm sure the bureaucracy will rule this out but thought I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by slosolo2 View Post
    No one mentioned it so I'll ask the stupid question.
    Can you not revise the guns on your permit?
    If you can update the permit buy the combo that seems right today. Try it out and if you don't like it sell something and try again.
    I'm sure the bureaucracy will rule this out but thought I'd ask.
    Fortunately, we can modify our permit. Unfortuneately the Sherrif's department requires us to pay a fee each time we modify it on top of paying a fee to a certified instructor to "qualify" us on the firearm to be carried. Even if
    I have to change my address, try require a fee. In essence, this is a possibility and a good one at that, but It can get expensive paying all the fees, selling a firearm for a loss, not to mention buying holsters for the handgun to test the fit and then trying to sell those if I don't like the gun. I'd prefer to just buy right the first time, but I know that's not always the case. I have got my j frame though, so that will probably cover most of my needs for a smaller weapon than my M&P 40. When the time comes to get a third gun to add for the "more firepower than j frame, but not as big as m&p 40," I'll have to evaluate my needs then and decide.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links