Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield.

This is a discussion on Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, Long lime lurker and first time poster here. I have come to a little dilemma recently while carrying. In my county/state I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Decisions.. M&P Compact/Jframe or Shield.

Hey all,

Long lime lurker and first time poster here. I have come to a little dilemma recently while carrying. In my county/state I am allowed 3 pistols on my CCW permit. I only have one handgun and that is an M&P40 which I have been shooting for a long time now. I received my carry permit last October and have been carrying it ever since, but as the weather gets warmer, I'm finding the grip is printing more and more in my t-shirts and has almost poked out while sitting because of my shirt riding up. I also feel as if sometimes its a pain to put on in the morning, thus I want a smaller gun because like everyone says, having a gun on you is better than one at home.

So my dilemma is this. I want a gun that I can pocket carry sometimes for convenience plus concealability, but also might just want a smaller IWB gun. I think I have narrowed down 2 routes. Either get an M&P40C for smaller profile plus interchangeability in magazines with its full size brother which seems like a great positive. And then ALSO get a small J-frame for pocket carry because they are so light and easily drawn.

OR

Get the new M&P shield and try to use it as both a pocket carry and IWB and then get a Glock 20 for the hell of it because it is 10mm and is cool (to me ). Only problem would be the shield MIGHT be hard to pocket carry.

If I went the Compact route, my M&P 40 would become a nightstand gun (which seems like a plus so my fiance could use it when I'm not home), and then I would carry the compact and J frame exclusively. Or I could go with the Shield and switch off carrying the M&P 40 and Shield although the 40 might be hard to conceal sometimes. The Glock 20 would just go on the ccw to basically mess around with when visiting family in the woods.

I know this was a long post, but I'm hoping to find my 3 most usable guns at the moment that would work best for me. ANY opinions are welcome.

Everybody should have a j-frame. Great all around carry piece when it comes to versatility of types of carry. I'd probably go with the shield too, just to have a single stack option. You lose the interchangability of the mags, but you gain a lot more in the single stack carryability.
    sid1, Diddle, marcclarke and 1 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I own a S&W 360 (357mag) and a S&W M&P 40c. I love them both. I want an M&P Shield.

Sounds like you have selected three great options.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Try holding a Ruger LCR available in 357mag and 38spec +p very light and concealable with a great trigger.

Rich

I would stick with the m&pc and j frame idea.

I vote for the J frame. It's what I carry most of all and hides in a pocket holster with ease.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

M&P40c is a great gun. With the flush fit mag you'll find the grip hides very well under a t-shirt. But unless you have HUGE pockets, it won't pocket carry. The shield can, and I think they are making it in 40 cal. J frames are also amazing. Best for pocket carry IMO.

But then again, it is hot where I live 90% of the year and with the proper forward cant, I can and do hide my full size 1911 in shorts and a t-shirt daily. Point being, if you really want to just carry your trusted 40cal, it can be done with a good holster. The Brommeland Max Con V is probably the thinnest, most concealable IWB rig I have ever seen.

Distinguished Member
    I've heard a lot of people say that the Shield is not really a pocket carry pistol either. I guess it is a slight bigger than the KelTec PF9 which some do use with pocket carry. My wife has a 9mm Shield and I don't think I'd be carrying it in my pocket. But it all depends on the person and how big their pockets are.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Since you like a 40 cal. I would advise you to get the M&P Shield in 40. Personally, I have the 9mm version. Conceals nicely in a very thin IWB holster from PJHolsters
    That being said, I wouldn't consider the Shield a pocket pistol.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onetuza View Post
    Since you like a 40 cal. I would advise you to get the M&P Shield in 40.
    I can second that as well. I've had the chance to fire both and I could not discern any difference in recoil. The .40 is a sweet shooter just like the 9. If I could get one, I'd get me a .40 Shield.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I have the M&P 9c and like very much. I do not find it difficult to conceal. I am not interested in the Shield, as only difference is thinner really. I do not like the idea of a safety either, plus about half the capacity. Perhaps, I am in denial and my check one out when they become readily available after the hooplah dies down.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Thanks for all the replies so far, it almost seems like its split half and half. I knew I had a hard choice, and I guess I still do. I think I need to get my hand on both of them and give them a shot. I do like the idea of a j frame though as it just "feels" classic and I don't own a revolver.

sgb
    Being as you've already got the M&P 40 I'd go with a M&P 40c and a Shield 40. Commonality of ammunition and they're all the same manual of arms.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member
    I own both j frames and a Shield in 40 cal. In my opinion I'd begin with the snubbie. As has been stated, everybody needs one. They're extremely dependable. They offer more flexibility in carry options. They can be fired from a coat pocket if that's important..... They represent a simpler platform that's time tested. Hopefully I don't get flamed for this but this is my opinion. I own a number of autos and find that failure is much more likely in that platform. And no, none of them is a Glock so let's not go down that road. My Shield is still being put through it's test period. So far it's been 100%. testing will continue. I can't imagine pocket carry with the Shield. It will do very nicely IWB.

The snubbie has a capacity of 5....that's a given. A couple of strips in your pocket provide reloads. Protracted, running battles that exceed 15 rounds are not something that keep me awake at night. The snubbie is the one I grab most often going out the door. Based on your OP, there's my .02. Good luck.
    Pistology likes this.

I have a j-frame 642, a 9mm Shield, and a Bodyguard .380 to cover all of my carry needs. If I could only have one I would have to keep the j, the .380 would be my second and the Shield, even though I like it the best of this group, would be my third choice. I am sold on the previous statement that the snub is a gun everyone that carries concealed can use. In your case I would consider how and where you will be carrying and choose your gun, holster, clothing, accordingly.
    Good luck, all the guns you have posted are good so you can not go wrong with any of them.
    Frank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links