Best choice for conceal carry?

This is a discussion on Best choice for conceal carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm about to receive my CCL and am looking for a 9mm. I'm not a big guy at 5-7 and just shy of 130 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best choice for conceal carry?

Hi, I'm about to receive my CCL and am looking for a 9mm. I'm not a big guy at 5-7 and just shy of 130 pounds. I've narrowed it down to four guns. Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9, Diamondback DB9, or Kel-Tec PF9. What's you take on these?

I'm a S&W guy, grew up with them as a kid and just stayed with them. My advise is to rent what you can at the range, if you haven't done that yet, and get a good feel for each gun. All hands are different and guns feel different, my S&W has changeable back straps for a very good fit. Get one that feels good in your hands. Sorry, I don't have any experience on the 4 guns you mentioned. Good luck.

The one you shoot the best. the one that feels the best in your hand. the one you will enjoy carrying the most. the one you like the best. the one you can find the holster for which that allows you to carry it best.

Slim 9mm

I just went through this entire exercise. I looked at everything from $700 Kahr to the Kel-Tec. I chose the Taurus PT709 Slim - it impressed me the most for the price. I know there are a lot of guys here that will bash a Taurus but I am pretty impressed. I have 500 rounds through it with no issues what so ever. I put a Pierce grip extension on it and my large hands handle it well. If you are looking for a pocket gun though, you might want to look into the .380 class. The slim 9's are just a bit large for front pocket carry, but are awesome holstered. I figure I just might get one of each

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of these. I have an LC9 and would recommend one.

Kahr's have a buttery smooth, light double action only trigger pull. Although they are high quality, the tight fit requires a break in period to be reliable.

The LC9 and PF9 are similar. They both are double action only, and have a long trigger pull. The LC9 has a better finish. Both are accurate. I have put all shots in one ragged hole (slow aimed fire) with my LC9. The LC9 has more safety features including a thumb safety which you can ignore and leave disengaged if you don't like it.

The DB9 has a tendency to jam if you don't keep an iron grip on it. It doesn't tolerate limp-wristing. It can't shoot +P ammo unlike the others.

With the exception of the LC9 which I own, what I wrote about the others is based on what I have read on this fourm, not personal experience.

I would take a look at the new S&W Shield as well. It has a really good trigger and grip.

If you can find a range with guns you can rent, I suggest you try before you buy. If that's not possible, go with the one that fits your hand the best and you like the trigger pull.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Of the choices listed, I'd vote for the Kahr. You might also want to look at the M&P Shield though.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Agreed with archer. The shield imo would be a much better choice. If it has to be one of the four you listed i would get the lc9
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Of the choices listed, I'd vote for the Kahr. You might also want to look at the M&P Shield though.
    I have the shield in 9 and its a great gun feels better than the lc9 IMHO

sgb
    Of the guns listed I'd only consider the LC9 and the PM9, though my choice would be a M&P 9c or Shield 9
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Welcome Aboard TAke Charge And Move Out from a old STRATCOM sub guy!

Quote Originally Posted by TACAMO View Post
    Hi, I'm about to receive my CCL and am looking for a 9mm. I'm not a big guy at 5-7 and just shy of 130 pounds. I've narrowed it down to four guns. Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9, Diamondback DB9, or Kel-Tec PF9. What's you take on these?
    That's a pretty loaded querry right outta the chute.....!

Lemme ask ya, have you had the opprotunity to test fire any of your choices at, say, a range that rents-out a selection for their patrons to try?
    As for a stright-up answer, the Kahr, Ruger, and Kel-Tec are all pretty good sidearms...... I dunno a thing about the Diamondback though. I'd pick the Kahr or the Ruger...... but look at the Shield too!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It is whatever fits you and meets your individual needs the best. That said, I have a PT709 with 2000 flawless rounds through it and I love it. If I were looking today, I'd be taking a long hard look at the S&W Shield 9 and the Bersa BP9cc as my top of the list to handle and shoot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I remember just getting my ccw. I thought i could carry a glock no problem.... then i realized it was HUGE for my build (about 130lbs)..... then i looked at the PF9, slimmer.... but just couldnt hide the imprint well in normal summer clothes. So what did i do?? I got 2 guns. Compact glock for camping and winter where visibility wasnt an issue. And when the LCP came out, snatched it up and its my primary carry gun.

Take home message: For your first ccw gun, go a lot smaller than even you think you can carry. Later down the road you can upgrade. But you dont want to be paranoid... or even worse not carry because of it.

Consider .380

Wow, I'm liking the Shield. I will look into the .380's

Do yourself a favor; try to shoot a Sig P238 as well as a Ruger LCP. I have owned both. Both will fit front pocket. LCP is lighter, therefore it has more recoil. Both are .380.

When I first began carrying, I carried Keltec P32 (.32 cal).

sent from my sending device

I like the Lc9, myself. A good pocket packer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links