Cm9 or Shield?

Cm9 or Shield?

This is a discussion on Cm9 or Shield? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'll have a bit of money coming in shortly and I'm having trouble deciding how to spend it. I have a cm9 right now ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Cm9 or Shield?

Cm9 or Shield?

So I'll have a bit of money coming in shortly and I'm having trouble deciding how to spend it. I have a cm9 right now but I've been considering a shield.

Should I:
    Keep the cm9 and pick up another mag and night sights

Or

Sell the cm9 and put all the funds together to get a shield.

I do prefer the shield but I already have the cm9. Any advice from you more seasoned owners would be appreciated!

i have a CM-9. called the factory about night sights and was told about $140, including installation. in his Complete Book of Handguns 2012, Mas Ayoob says, in the article, "Driving Your Kahr": "If you want to retrofit night sights, do yourself a favor and send it back to the factory instead of trying to do that. How do I know this, you ask? Well...trust me...I know this."

my advice? if you really prefer the Shield, then trade in the CM-9 and buy it. i just hope that after getting it, you don't discover you prefer the Springfield XDS to the Shield. best of luck.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Your the one that needs to choose. Buy what you want not what we may think . If your pistol is a 100% pistol now reguardless of the brand why change. The shield is bigger, heavier and carries the same round count. Just another new gun out there. I have not had night sights on a cc handgun in 26 years.

A nice green laser might be a better add on vice night sights. However, the XDM would be the better of the 2 IMO.
    I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!
    - Rambo, John J.

Shield is more accurate and has a far better trigger. It gets my vote.
    accessbob, sid1 and MPGSr like this.

+1 for the Shield! Traded my CM9 for it!! I love mine!!!

Thanks for the input! I don't really feel the cm9 is 100% but that could just be me trying to justify a new gun. Unfortunately I can't have both.

No argument on the trigger, I completely agree.

I'm not interested in the xds, when I get another 45 it will be a full size.

I don't really feel the cm9 is 100% but that could just be me trying to justify a new gun.
    In what way is the CM9 lacking?

The guns have similarities, but also have significant differences. Specifically, the Kahr is smaller (better suited for pocket carry), has a trigger that feels more like a double action only trigger and has a different manual of arms (unlike the Shield, the Kahr has no external safety lever). Only you can decide if these are differences that favor trading an old gun for a new gun or whether it is a case of "wanderlust."
    Longstreet likes this.

how do you prefer to carry? the shield is a bit too big and heavy for pocket carry..the cm9 is the better choice if you prefer "pocket" sized 9mm's..i think you might regret selling the cm9,smaller and lighter..

since the CM9 and Shield are both going to be short range defensive pistols, just ask yourself if you can hit a man size target center of mass consistently out to ten yards. If the answer is yes, then you have no reason to change guns. If you just want another small single stack 9mm, the Sheild would be a good choice. I have the CM9 and several M&P pistols and admit I like the M&P trigger better than the Kahr, but the CM9 does the job just fine. I'm waiting until the Shield becomes more readily available and the prices come down off the ceiling before I decide if I really need another single stack 9mm.
    I find my Bersa BP 9CC to be a great alternative over the higher priced guns. Great trigger and dead nuts accurate. I'll put the Bersa up against any single stack 9mm out right now. Great gun, and very similar in size to the Kahr CW9.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I love my shield it now gets more carry time than my 19.

Had a CM9 & couldn't stand the difficulty in take-down/reassembly; sold it, got a Shield and never looked back: easy to take-down, good shooter and feels great in the hand--- hard to beat a Shield for a single stack 9MM!
    accessbob, sid1 and MPGSr like this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Shot 'em both, prefer the Shield by a wide margin
    Feels better in my hand, more accurate for me and a MUCH better trigger. Considerably less felt recoil, as well.

The Kahr is smaller, though. If size is all that matters, keep what you have. If anything else matters, I'd go with the splendid Shield.
    accessbob likes this.

The kahr just doesn't fit me right and I don't like how it breaks down (not failure, takedown). I feel like its too big for pocket carry so I carry iwb which is how I'll carry the shield too so that isn't an issue. Also the shield feels much better in my hand. The safety on the shield doesn't bother me.

Well upon weighing the pros an cons you guys pretty much talked me into it. Now I just have to find one again!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    FWIW I had a Kahr MK9 and Kahr PM9, loved the combo.

Sold them both and picked up an Olde English Bulldogge and an M&P Shield, haven't looked back once.

That's me though, quite happy with my choices. :)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links