Purchased my first autoloader

This is a discussion on Purchased my first autoloader within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased my first autoloader today. I have always been a revolver guy, but lately have really wanted a full size 9 mm. I went ...

Thread: Purchased my first autoloader

I purchased my first autoloader today. I have always been a revolver guy, but lately have really wanted a full size 9 mm.
    I went to my LGS and rented the three pistols I was interested in, and shot them all: a Glock 17, a Ruger SR 9, and a S&W M&P.
    Before I shot them for myself, I really thought I would like the glock the most, but shooting them changed my mind.
    1) Shot the Glock first. It didn't feel right in my hand; the grip wasn't too big, but I could not seem to shoot it comfortably or keep shots grouped at 7 yards.
    2) Shot the Ruger next. Again, didn't feel right in my hand, and muzzle flip was greater than the Glock. Also I realized that the manual safety was not for me, as I wanted a similar mode of operation as a DA revolver.
    3) Shot the M & P next. It felt 'right' in my hand (it had the 'large' grip on it). It also shot where I was pointing, and grouped more tightly than the other 2. I would imagine this was because it felt more comfortable in my hands.
    I am very glad I decided to shoot multiple guns and not just go with my preconcieved notion of what would work best for me.
    I know you guys all say to 'shoot them all, and pick what fits you best', but I just wanted to point out to other people who may be unfamiliar with a new (to them) type of handgun that this advice really works. Thank you all for good posts on this subject!
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Good for you finding the best tool that you'll use! Advice only goes so far. Your confidence surpasses any opinions. Simple huh? Simple is good. You have my best wishes.

Nicely done. Enjoy the new M&P!

Congrats.

sgb
    Well done
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Same reaction I had to the M&P ( it just felt right in the hand) I've got two now. Enjoy your new one.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Nice choice my friend. Welcome to the dark side!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

The M&P is just amazing. You'll love it.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Very good choice, I got the M&P over the Glock too, Glock was way too bulky, M&P felt PERFECT.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Links