Springfield XDS? Glock 36? - Page 2

Springfield XDS? Glock 36?

This is a discussion on Springfield XDS? Glock 36? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LOL VLB is awesome lol.......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Springfield XDS? Glock 36?

LOL VLB is awesome lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I like the idea of the Glock 36 but it just seems REALLY big for what it is. It's almost the size of a G19 and less than half the capacity. I also like the idea of the XDS but it almost seems a little TOO small and has even less capacity. I've come to the conclusion that (for ME) the .45 is a GREAT cartridge but it's best off in full size, high cap guns like the Glock 21 and the FNP-45. I just don't think it scales down well.
    I agree with u that the G36 is pretty big. It's so close in size in fact that I recently put it away and carry the G23 instead. 7 rounds of .45 or 14 rounds of .40? I'll take the 14 rounds in almost the same package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The XDs is just too new. Do yourself a favor, and wait a year. Let others work the bugs out.

Get the G36 if you do not want to wait. However, I agree that, for the size, I'd rather have a G19. When I got a .45 Glock, it was the G30.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Have never shot either, but would opt for the Glock, then the XD.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Just my 2cents.......

I have a Kahr CW45 that I carry daily IWB(PJholster) with shorts and a T-shirt and forget I have it. I've shot the G36, but thought it was a little snappier than my CW45. Never had any problems with the Kahr(+1000rds). I also have a XDm 3.8" 9mm that gets carried occasionally. I haven't had any problems with it either. I like the XDs, but have no need for another compact .45.
    HandgunWorld likes this.

I'm not a beta tester. I got screwed with trying that with a Diamondback DB9. FTE/FTF, cracked frame, walking pins, poorly designed magazine, and then hearing, it's not the gun, it's the shooter. Really? Time to move on. I sold that POS. I should have learned from the DB380 stories before thinking they hadn't together. Bad history to start. Ongoing bad history.

On the corollary, I just bought a Sig P938. I've had Sig Sauers early in my adult life. I have 4, now: a P220, P238, P938 and Sig 522. I'm willing to take the chance on the 938 so I did. It's built on the P238 frame and the P238 ran well for me. Different caliber but not a change from single stack to Double stack.

Any time a gunmaker goes from one style to another (i.e. Double stack to Single stack, or vice versa), I suspect some growing pains. I love my XDM 9mm compact. But they're foraging into single stack guns and I'd be a little hesitant until feedback comes out. They're a great company. I don't know if they're made in Croatia like the others. The XD should have a grip safety like others. For some, people prefer the trigger of XD/XDM over Glocks. I personally don't care, either way. The finish of the slide is not as nice than a Glock, to me.

I have a Glock 36. I acquired it used. I had an issue with it (the slide would not lock back on the last round) but someone put an extended release on it. It was installed incorrectly. I got it back to the stock slide release. Flawless ever since. 7 shots should take of business. It's my summer carry. My G30 is my winter carry. I prefer more ammo for penetration if it had to penetrate a parka.

In general, it's best to wait on a gun if it's a different design from their main product. Glitches happen to the best of companies.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Went with Glock 36 over Springfield XD

I recently got a Glock 36 and have been very impressed with it. I never really considered the Springfield because I don't want the safeties. I already had two other Glocks (19 and 23) and trusted the brand to perform well. I was not disappointed.

The capacity issue is not important to me, and 7 rounds of .45 from a (roughly) 4 inch barrel seems adequate, with a spare mag on my weak side if its not adequate. I am more concerned about the first shot and its potential to stop the fight, and have more faith in .45 ACP to do this than some alternatives. So I will trade capacity for bullet size.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Biggest advantage is it is better weapon than a Glock and the second is that it is not a glock.
    Civil_Response likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I mean that the grip safety on the XD line has been known to fail and cause a 'dead trigger'.
    Can you post a link to anything about this. I've been shooting Springfields for years and never had nor heard of this problem anywhere online or any major gun forums.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Biggest advantage is it is better weapon than a Glock and the second is that it is not a glock.
    Brilliant.

So tell us....how long have you owned both, and how do they compare to each other?

I won't hold my breath.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Or not.

I think the new glocks have a chintzy spring sound like those cap guns. I took one apart at Gander thinking something was wrong with it...

I love my G36....that's all i have to say

Grip Safety

The original purpose of the grip safety on the Colt 1911 was that its designed to be carried cocked/hammer back. I was at the National Matches this w/e at Camp Perry, OH and Springfield Armory had a hut set up on vendor row. They didnt have any for sale but did have a model to handle. I really liked the way it felt. I have small hands and with the extended mag I could get my whole hand on the grip which I really liked a lot. The sights are great on it as well. Obviously unable to fire it but I liked what I saw and felt. I've not shot a G36 but have fired many of the other models and even though they've all shot well the XDs felt better to me. I am looking to get one come income tax time but hopefully we get some owners POV's in here that have put rounds down range with it.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I am familiar with how grip safeties are supposed to work. I mean that the grip safety on the XD line has been known to fail and cause a 'dead trigger'.
    I've read hundreds, possibly thousands, of posts on XDs, and I've never heard of this. Those issues that I have read regarding the grip safety issues, frequently have been the result of user error and improper grip. Now, I should also say, that while I do own a couple XDs, I'm not a fanboy, just presenting the facts that I've read over the years. Also, with regard to Glocks, I am considering one as my next purchase - either the glock 36 or 21.

If you have a link explaining the issue, please share. I'm certainly interested. But, if it an isolated issue, I wouldn't consider it "know to fail".
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links