Springfield XDS? Glock 36?

This is a discussion on Springfield XDS? Glock 36? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RorgeRetson You do realize that most people who come to internet forums come when they have problems, right? Most people who don't ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Springfield XDS? Glock 36?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RorgeRetson View Post
    You do realize that most people who come to internet forums come when they have problems, right? Most people who don't have problems simply live out there lives, helping their landladies take out their garbage, etc.... ;)
    Take a deep breath and relax.

Sometimes where there is smoke, there is fire. On the XD Talk forum, folks have red blood cells formed of the letters XD. If you read something negative there, it happened. There are some unhappy XDs owners on that forum who have sent in their pistols to be have what sound like new gun issues fixed. Some get them back fixed, some don't. I know Springfield is a really good solid company. If I were a 1911 fan, I'd have a selection of Springfields. But I'm not.

There are a lot of happy XDs owners on there too. But one in 10, or 2 in 10 which is what it was when I had to make a decision, pushed me in the direction of the Glock 36. I can come back to the XDs in a year or so. There was simply no reason to take a risk. I already have several (6) other carry guns. I will doubtless carry the nines more than I'd carry the XDs anyway.

My money. My choice. My decision. My opinion. You can do whatever you please.

I like the concept of the XDs. I'll probably have one later rather than sooner, unless something more appealing shows up.

In the mean time, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have a degree in electrical engineering. I spent 35years in Aerospace engineering. I've been online since text based 100 baud dialup bulletin boards and newsgroups were all there was. I ran a 1,000 user network tied world wide on ARPANET back before the WWW even existed. I don't really need a sarcastic tutorial from you about the net.

Fitch
    ppkheat and Jollymann like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

Listen the XDs is what many of us Glock fans wish that Glock would do. Come out a slim version of their tried and true design.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Listen the XDs is what many of us Glock fans wish that Glock would do. Come out a slim version of their tried and true design.
    I 100% agree with that.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    In the mean time, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have a degree in electrical engineering. I spent 35years in Aerospace engineering. I've been online since text based 100 baud dialup bulletin boards and newsgroups were all there was. I ran a 1,000 user network tied world wide on ARPANET back before the WWW even existed....blah blah blah
    And yet you still know nothing about statistics, or the concept of self-selection? That's pretty sad. Clearly a case of a poor student, or someone not paying attention for 35+ years.

My point stands.

And yet you still know nothing about statistics, or the concept of self-selection? That's pretty sad. Clearly a case of a poor student, or someone not paying attention for 35+ years.

My point stands.
    So did you buy one yet?

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    So did you buy one yet?

Fitch
    Not yet, they're a little hard to come by in California since they are not on the roster. Not impossible though. As soon as I get one I will come back and do a full report.

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    Seems like this will be the new one that everyone wants (besides the Shield). I have a M&P 9c that I carry, but have been looking at .45s as well. Guess I just need to pick one and stick to it.... So hard to do.

This new XDS looks pretty interesting, in a small package. Then noticed not much difference in size between the XDS and the Glock 36. What advantage does this XDS have over the Glock?
    I have the Glock 36 and I've been packing it with the others since being out in Free Arizona last July. It was one of several new handguns I bought last year. Glocks are fairly new to me. I resisted liking them for a LONG time. Always had older designs like the CZ 75 and the Colt Government Model.

In fact the Glock 36 has been a side by side pistol with the Glock 26 which I've had for a couple of months longer. Both the same rough size and fit the same snap nylon holster. They are the two best autos I have for a better conceal, usually being on belt on the right rear, but less often tucked in the belt for a more hasty carry. Probably fired around 250 shells through it since then (I have many other handguns to shoot.), and it's been a good performer.

I guess the reason I'm posting here is that I see the new Springfield XDS as being fully comparable to the Glock 36. It's an interesting piece and naturally I've thought about getting one. But it doesn't do for me anything the Glock doesn't. I've noticed that the magazine capacity is one less in the XDS. Being five, not six. I know it's slightly smaller, but how small does anyone really need beyond a point? It if fits your hand and you can wear it well with the system you're accostomed to, then those are the main things. Since I never use inside the belt holsters, only shoulder (rarely) and outside belt, having smaller pieces like the Baby Glocks does make it easier. Less worry about the cut of the straight cut shirts.

Also I'm quite familar with the XDs. I have an XDM 3.8 9mm which is a big carry favorite, so that in part is why the new XDS is interesting to me.

Derek J.
    Last edited by Jollymann; August 7th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Not yet, they're a little hard to come by in California since they are not on the roster. Not impossible though. As soon as I get one I will come back and do a full report.
    No more worries about California garbage for me. I surely hated all that to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    An honest Glock person.

I'm waiting. I'm interested, but I'm on XDTalk as well, and those issues have me concerned enough not to buy yet.
    I'm concerned about the grip safety issue spoken of here; I'm new(er) to guns than a lot of you here, and when it came time to make my choice it was between the XD and Glock platforms. I chose the XD BECAUSE of the grip safety. I figured an extra layer of safety couldn't hurt.
    Both of my XDs have close to 750 rounds through them, and I've never heard of anything like the grip safety failing. Little bummed about it.
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

So I picked mine up Friday.

Here are some thoughts;

Gun comes with nice Paddle holster.

Twin mag holder.

Nice hard case.

It has extra light pipes including green for the fiber optic front sight.

Two grip Sizes.

Two magazines 5 round capacity.

The has a loaded chamber indicator this is a nice feature for range work.

The width and over all size is almost the exact size of the LC9 maybe slightly smaller in overall length and height. Width is very close.

So in a cross breed or similar holster this gun conceals very well and you hardly know its is inside the waist band.

Now I ran four mags full of Speer 230 grain Gold Dot self defense ammo through it and at 20 yards off hand the group was 3.5"

I also ran another 150 rounds of 230 grain RN blaster brass practice ammo through the gun in a Miriam of self defense drills two,hand strong hand weak hand shooting.I ran drills using Lateral movement and double taps. the gun performed well with placing shots on target with the same efficiency as my Glock model 30. Imdo feel getting a good grasp on the gun to be easy and intuitive.

I had zero failures.

I was very pleased with this gun and feel that it has great potential as a self defense handgun and a deep concealment defensive handgun.
    stancehold likes this.

New Member Array crimefightncop's Avatar

Cousins

I have a 10 year old Glock 36 that has never given me a problem...period. Now with that being said, I also am a fan of the grip safety with the Springfield. In a defensive carry role, it will be no problem for the carrier because you gripping your Springer will naturally work it. However, if someone else gets their mitts on it or something accidentally getting in the trigger guard can't set it off. With a Glock, anything that gets in the trigger guard can set it off (and there are documented cases). Just my two cents.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    glock 36 is more proven

Got my new XD-S and immediately had consistent problems (not going into full battery).
    Springfield Armory paid the FedEx both ways and in less than 2 weeks it was back.
    Paperwork said 'no problems found' but it came back fixed and it 'runs like a scalded cat'.
    Eats any ammo fed to it and has enough rounds downrange to restore confidence.
    Has become my new 24/7 gun and I'm very pleased with it.

I don't comment on Glock - never had one.

Rilowe

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    My EDC is a G36. It is absolutely reliable; I have never had a malfunction with this platform and highly recommend it. The grip safety on the XDS could inhibit one-handed manipulations so I would not go that route.
    I don't know if you know or not but the slide can be racked on the XDS without depressing the grip safety.
    The XDS is a whole new animal from the XD and XDM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links