Advice on upgrade for more knock down force

This is a discussion on Advice on upgrade for more knock down force within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am an ex-police officer. I carried a 9mm S&W 39-2 for several years and found it to be a very reliable weapon. I've read ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Advice on upgrade for more knock down force

Advice on upgrade for more knock down force

I am an ex-police officer. I carried a 9mm S&W 39-2 for several years and found it to be a very reliable weapon. I've read a lot about how 9mm is a minimum caliber for defense. I think the .45 or 10mm? would be a better choice for defense. I'd like a weapon smaller than the Colt 1911.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Don't get caught up in the hype that a 9mm is just barely enough. A well placed 9 trumps any poorly placed larger caliber and most of the time if you stay with proven SD ammunition your going to be pretty equal.

Why not stick with something you are used to. M&P would be good. Look at the Shield in 9mm or .40. or any M&P compact. How about .45 m&p compact.
    How about glocks?? G23 .45 compact glock or g19 9mm compact.

As an ex-police officer you should know caliber or gun size isnt necessarily the only shopping factors.

Inexpensive knock down force

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    I'm not a huge fan of the term "knock down force". Shot placement (CNS hits) have far more to do with "knock down" (more like "drop down") than caliber does.

As far as caliber, I will occasionally alternate between 9mm and 45ACP. There are trade-offs between the two, but they are minor in the context of self defense.
    sgb likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to your question. If your carrying a good defensive load, I wouldn't worry about it. 4 9mm COM is going to beat 4 .45 thrown all over the place any time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum !!! I too do not like it when people say the term *knockdown* force, because if this was true, then in my opinion when shooting steel plates with 45acp, etc. with over 350+ ft/lbs of force, the steel plates would be flying backwards, but instead they slowly fall down, etc. God Bless

45 is an excellent choice for defense

I can see by your comments about the S&W 39-2 that you are like me - a "seasoned citizen" in the words of a famous talk show host. I bought a 39-2 new in a gunstore about 40+ years ago. If you carried one as a police officer, you must have been active in this profession in the 1970 to 1990 period. I also liked the 39-2 and still have mine, shooting it occasionally.

I appreciate your comments about the 9mm and the 45 ACP calibers, and they have predictably stirred up some "caliber war" reactions from those who use the 9mm for defense. I won't get into that, but simply say that the 45 ACP is an excellent choice and if you want to use it, more power to you. The 45 with good hollowpoint ammo will penetrate and expand very well, and your job is to train with it and become proficient.

I have personally used most of the common calibers for defense, and each one has its place. I often use 45, and like you I don't want to carry a full size 1911, which weighs in at about 42 ounces loaded and has a long grip to conceal. My solution has been to either use an aluminum frame, 3 inch barrel 1911 (Colt Defender, 24 ounces empty) or a polymer frame Glock 36 (20 ounces empty). Either one gives me 7 or 8 shots before reloading and conceals very easily. Both have been quite reliable for me.

satori59 and nedrgr21 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Someone once put a thick metal plate over his chest and had someone shoot him at near point blank range with a .458 winchester elephant gun. He staggered back, but did not fall, even though the bullet dumped over 5 tons of energy into that plate. Knock-down power is a myth when it comes to handguns. I don't doubt that a bigger, higher energy round stands a better chance of ending a confrontation with all other things being equal, but any handgun round used for defense would be a poor or even unethical choice for hunting even small deer, so I would say just shoot what you feel like you can hit with.
    kmagnuss likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javaman View Post
    Someone once put a thick metal plate over his chest and had someone shoot him at near point blank range with a .458 winchester elephant gun. He staggered back, but did not fall, even though the bullet dumped over 5 tons of energy into that plate. Knock-down power is a myth when it comes to handguns. I don't doubt that a bigger, higher energy round stands a better chance of ending a confrontation with all other things being equal, but any handgun round used for defense would be a poor or even unethical choice for hunting even small deer, so I would say just shoot what you feel like you can hit with.
    I would not base my choice for everyday carry on the elephant gun story.
    ramitupurs84 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

How about a Glock 36, Sig 220 Compact, a 4" or smaller 1911 platform(and yes NOW DAYS they are reliable once you get them broke in id go 4" barrel), Taurus Mil Pro 145, S&W Compact .45, or the new Springfield coming out the XDS I think its a single stack .45 ACP...tons of options and id go .45 ACP over 10 MM UNLESS you reload or can find a conversion barrel to shoot something else for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would not base my choice for everyday carry on the elephant gun story.
    maybe sawed off SBR Elephant gun? or pistol grip version??

If you just want to "feel" better ,my G29 10mm does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by dennismoffit View Post
    I am an ex-police officer. I carried a 9mm S&W 39-2 for several years and found it to be a very reliable weapon. I've read a lot about how 9mm is a minimum caliber for defense. I think the .45 or 10mm? would be a better choice for defense. I'd like a weapon smaller than the Colt 1911.

Any ideas?
    Welcome to the forum "dennismoffit"!

As others have stated, the 9mm is fine with proper ammo selection, but shot placement is crucial.

Now if you just want another gun in .45 or 10mm, then that is a different request.
    Take a look at the Glock 30 or 36 for a .45 handgun or a Glock 29 for 10mm. I'm partial to Glock's.

You could always get a .460 Rowland conversion for a Glock 30, that will give you some extra power.
    marcclarke likes this.
    --Jason--

Welp,here we go again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links