Defender or EMP for EDC?

Defender or EMP for EDC?

This is a discussion on Defender or EMP for EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I've been toying with the idea of getting a second daily carry gun. I've read good things about the Springfield EMP. I've also heard ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By texasKA

Thread: Defender or EMP for EDC?

Defender or EMP for EDC?

Recently I've been toying with the idea of getting a second daily carry gun. I've read good things about the Springfield EMP. I've also heard some horror stories about the safety not working and other feeding issues. Because of that, I'm also considering a Colt Defender, either in 9mm or 45. While there are a lot of YouTube videos on the EMP, there aren't a lot of reviews for the Defender. I'm hoping a few of you might be able to give me some input and lead me either toward or away from the weapon as a CCW option.

Do any of you have a Defender?
    Is it a 9 or a 45?
    How do you like it?
    Is it reliable?
    Accurate?

Thanks for your advice.

hello new member. i have a defender. 45. love it.

reliable. never had an issue. bullseye accurate.
    claude clay likes this.

I have a Springfield EMP and like it very much, but it is not in my EDC rotation so sorry I am not of any help there. However it is a very nice gun. Is it worth the $1100+, only you can decide God Bless

I had an EMP and had many problems with the one I had. I sent it back to Springfield twice. They were always great and paid shipping both ways. It just kept jamming, and throwing the brass back in my face. Finally traded it for a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II. Everyone else I have heard loved the EMP, so I must have got the one bad one out of the lot.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    defender. as has been said-bullseye accurate. though you need to be in control of it.
    rather light and its a handful with double taps. carried it for many years. it retired when i did. it went to a friend.i later replaced it with a Sig C3. the extra 6 oz's makes a big differance.
    , arthritis makes it painful to shoot the featherweights.
    just traded out a p11 and some $$ for a shield.
    Last edited by claude clay; June 7th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

You can get more options in the Kimber line than the EMP line. But the EMP is a fine weapon.

The Springfield EMP 9mm was my carry gun until I switched to a Glock 19 for daily carry. The ergonomics of the EMP were great especially with the G10 grips. However, one drawback I had was that my EMP did not like to eject live rounds. The round would get caught between the ejector and the chamber. Even after a gunsmith tuned the ejector it would still not eject a live round properly, which could be a big issue if the gun were to jam. However, I was never worried about it jamming as it ate ammo I would shoot through it without a problem. The gun is also very accurate, and I shot my best groups with it. My main reason for ditching it for the Glock was weight. A fully loaded Glock 19 only weighed about 3 ounces more than an unloaded EMP. It was just impossible for me to resist being able to carry more rounds with a gun that weighed less.

Just be aware that after you get one there may still be a chance you will need to have Springfield or a gunsmith tune it to run just the way you want it to.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. It's starting to seem like it's a crap shoot any more with getting a NIB gun that shoots well out of the box. They all seem to have issues depending on which forum you go to. Maybe it's just those who have issues that are posting and there is a huge percentage of owners that never have an issue so they don't post anything.

Oh well. I'll have to decide on one sooner or later. I hope I choose wisely.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I had a Colt Defender, it threw brass at my head. I sent it back to Colt and 10 weeks later when I finally got it back I still got brass to the head. Colt customer service ultimately told me that brass to the head was my fault. I knew better, because I had already owned two Kimber Ultra Carry II plus a Colt Officers and none of them threw brass at my head. I was really ticked off, sold it.

I had a Springfield EMP 40 and it was excellent, fed & ejected nearly 300 rounds of various HP ammo without a problem.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    defender. as has been said-bullseye accurate. though you need to be in control of it.
    rather light and its a handful with double taps. carried it for many years. it retired when i did. it went to a friend.i later replaced it with a Sig C3. the extra 6 oz's makes a big differance.
    , arthritis makes it painful to shoot the featherweights.
    just traded out a p11 and some $$ for a shield.
    agree - as this member said, hang on to it. i had an xdm 3.8 45c, it managed the recoil better. its also 5-6 ounces heavier than the defender.

not saying that 45 recoil is bad, or unmanageable. its far less snappy than a 40.

Distinguished Member
    I always marvel at people who want to spend a lot for their EDC. I wonder if any consideration is taken into account that, should you be involved in a defensive shooting, your expensive gun will likely be going a way for a while (or at least there is a very good chance of that occuring) and possibly forever if the police don't return it (which happened to that guy in Wisconsin who took out the robber in the grocery store. I believe he still hasn't gotten it back).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. It's starting to seem like it's a crap shoot any more with getting a NIB gun that shoots well out of the box. They all seem to have issues depending on which forum you go to. Maybe it's just those who have issues that are posting and there is a huge percentage of owners that never have an issue so they don't post anything.

Oh well. I'll have to decide on one sooner or later. I hope I choose wisely.

Michael
    I think you need to look at Sigs......

My EMP ran perfectly without any problems. It had a VERY light, very smooth trigger. To me, it is almost a work of art. I loved shooting it. I recently sold it because it was for my wife and due to wrist surgery has lost the hand strength to manipulate the slide properly. She now has a Sig P238 which she can handle with no problems. The new owner of the EMP has had no malfunctions and likes it as much as I did. So apparently there is occasionally a bad one, but mine was worth every penny.

Thanks Nutrodoc - I'm glad your wife likes her Sig. That is a nice model. I considered it, but I already have a .380 PPK so it was kind of getting something very similar.

Glad your EMP worked well, too. That's good to know.

Accessbob -- I think the reason that some people don't mind spending more on their EDC is because they feel their life may depend on the gun at some point. Indeed, that's the only reason for carrying it, IMO. It seems logical that a more expensive, well-known brand, has a lower likelihood of failure than a less expensive one. That may not always be the case, but when an owner takes the time to run ammo through their gun and find a brand the gun feeds without failure, then it could be assumed the gun will perform when it's needed. Just my opinion. Plus, a lot of people don't like cheap guns.

Links